• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

40k Silverado EV WT pricing LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The problem is Tesla had to compete with practically no one(in the EV space) and Chevy has to be at least close to Ford in terms of pricing. Also Ram will be there soon.
The $40k truck prices are definitely Tesla's "fault." Ford "had to" match the Cybertruck's advertised price, then Chevy had to match Ford's price.

So, now, there are three base EV trucks at ~$40k and there will only ever be a handful of them sold at that price across all three companies. A handful of Lightnings, probably zero Silverados, and almost certainly zero Cybertrucks.
Sponsored

krusshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2016 Ram 1500
So... Tesla offered the ~$35k Model 3 for 19 months and it was way better than promised.
My point is that the very common "$35k Model 3 never existed" claim is nonsense.
This is starting to derail the intent of this thread but the Model 3 history is fully known and there is no need to make a point. The $35k Model 3 never existed. A Model 3 priced at $35k was later offered.

The $35k Model 3 was announced in February 2019, made available to order in March, and then subsequently canceled in April. Not one rolled down the assembly line nor delivered to a customer. To fulfill Musk's promise, Tesla then offered a price-reduced, feature-reduced but only "off-menu".

If you have data to show that this off-menu car was purchased in sufficient quantities to call it "very common" then I'd like to see that data. The prevailing opinion is that they are unicorns.

Edit: Disregard as misunderstood what was "very common".

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This is starting to derail the intent of this thread but the Model 3 history is fully known and there is no need to make a point. The $35k Model 3 never existed. A Model 3 priced at $35k was later offered.

The $35k Model 3 was announced in February 2019, made available to order in March, and then subsequently canceled in April. Not one rolled down the assembly line nor delivered to a customer. To fulfill Musk's promise, Tesla then offered a price-reduced, feature-reduced but only "off-menu".
The premise of your argument is that the $35k Model 3 that absolutely WAS delivered to clients (from April 2019 to Nov 2020) doesn't count because it was BETTER than the $35k Model 3 that was originally announced.

You can argue that it's *different* than expected, but it's a flimsy complaint because it was actually BETTER than promised: Glass roof, same interior as the other Model 3s, etc.

So, did Tesla sell and deliver a $35k Model 3? Yes. They did. It's not debatable. Deliveries started in April 2019, and it was cancelled in November 2020. It was available for *online* ordering for a shorter period than that, but the model existed, it was delivered to customers, and it was available for anyone in the US who wanted it.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
The premise of your argument is that the $35k Model 3 that absolutely WAS delivered to clients (from April 2019 to Nov 2020) doesn't count because it was BETTER than the $35k Model 3 that was originally announced.

You can argue that it's *different* than expected, but it's a flimsy complaint because it was actually BETTER than promised: Glass roof, same interior as the other Model 3s, etc.

So, did Tesla sell and deliver a $35k Model 3? Yes. They did. It's not debatable. Deliveries started in April 2019, and it was cancelled in November 2020. It was available for *online* ordering for a shorter period than that, but the model existed, it was delivered to customers, and it was available for anyone in the US who wanted it.
What about Cyber Truck?

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
My brother inlaw is a chevy guy and has a reservation for the work truck variant, but after he saw mine I have a feeling he might try to find a Pro somewhere. Especially if the 40k variant just doesnt exist.

As for the Model 3, something to keep in mind is that at 46k today, with inflation, that's very close to 35k in 2016 when the Model 3 was announced.

krusshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2016 Ram 1500

The premise is I don't have an argument nor am I debating facts. How you characterize what happened is your prerogative as it is mine but I made no claim about better or worse and I made no claim that Musk did or didn't fulfill his promise. Sheesh.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The premise is I don't have an argument nor am I debating facts.
Two people said that the $35k Model 3 existed, and you responded:

The "$35k Model 3" never existed.
Seems like you're debating whether what they said was a fact.

I made no claim about better or worse
You said it was supposed to be decontented for $35k, but wasn't. If something has more content/features for the same money, it's reasonable to conclude it's "better" even if you didn't literally say the word.

and I made no claim that Musk did or didn't fulfill his promise. Sheesh.
No?

What Tesla actually offered was a price-reduced Standard Range Plus with a software-locked battery pack and heated seats so Musk could get away with fulfilling his promise.

To fulfill Musk's promise, Tesla then offered a price-reduced, feature-reduced but only "off-menu".
We can literally just go back and see what you wrote before.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
This is why we can’t have nice things. Derailed! <Shakes fist at forums>

Did Chevy up their base price or not for the average Joe?
Blue blooded Ford guy forever, who cares about Tesla's, Chevy's or Livewires!!

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
$35K Model 3 SR did get produced. Offered for 3 months on the web site, then pulled (for lack of interest) and held as an off-menu config for the next 6 months before being eliminated. Problem was timing. Most who had planned on it with their reservation just bought the $39K model. The stragglers or those newly shopping the car were unimpressed with the compromise vs. the $4K in savings. In short, it was a dud of an offering or too little, too late.

The blog post on Tesla's web site announcing the launch of the $35K model is still there:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

The only low cost configuration that Tesla has promoted and has not offered has been the SR/ RWD Model Y. It just made zero sense once in testing as there was too much compromise with the single motor. So they canned it.

We don't know what they will produce for Cybertruck. The $39K base model is most likely gone, I don't see how they could produce that in the current market. Base model CT will at least be as capable as the base model Lightning Pro and comparably priced, otherwise no one will buy it. They may have to try and undercut Ford's pricing, which IMO won't be too difficult with the recent price hikes.
Tesla did refund my $100 CT reservation without any problems once I found the three year old email- I think the CyberTruck will be made eventually but will cost $100K or so for the first three years if Tesla can find enough rich customers to buy it. Now that I have a real F150 with electric power I have no use for the CT- it may exist someday but really just another promise not delivered so far. Does anyone really think the CT will be made in "late 2023"?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Tesla did refund my $100 CT reservation without any problems once I found the three year old email- I think the CyberTruck will be made eventually but will cost $100K or so for the first three years if Tesla can find enough rich customers to buy it. Now that I have a real F150 with electric power I have no use for the CT- it may exist someday but really just another promise not delivered so far. Does anyone really think the CT will be made in "late 2023"?
I suspect Tesla may get a few off the line (or build a few by hand) to say they hit the Late 2023 deadline. But maybe not.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Does anyone really think the CT will be made in "late 2023"?
The first Giga-Press casting machine is installed and operational in Texas and test “bodies in white” have been spotted. Second casting machine is en-route. Aside from the initial 4680 battery delay and indefinite CT timing announcement 18 months ago, Tesla has been pretty spot on with their timeline announcements. I’d say CT entering production by end of ‘23 is not only very likely, but a cautiously conservative estimate.

With the exception of the Model 3 launch, Tesla has a habit of offering the highest spec (profit) model first. I’m expecting first CT offering to be 500+ miles range and fully loaded with onboard power and all the bells and whistles. And I’m predicting $135K. Back at the unveil, the top 500+ mile tri-motor model had a start price of $69K and was said would be about $100K all-in with all the options/ upgrades. Given the current market and if they can still meet those specs, then $135K will still sell more trucks than they can make in the first year.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
The $40k truck prices are definitely Tesla's "fault." Ford "had to" match the Cybertruck's advertised price, then Chevy had to match Ford's price.

So, now, there are three base EV trucks at ~$40k and there will only ever be a handful of them sold at that price across all three companies. A handful of Lightnings, probably zero Silverados, and almost certainly zero Cybertrucks.
Well.. with Ford's 23 MY price increase.... there is no $40k Lightning anymore. I don't expect Chevy to keep their $40k price point and Tesla will definitely not deliver a $40k CT because they don't have to. People are paying $70k+ for R1Ts and LIghtnings (even Pro and XLT models) so Elon isn't going to leave $30k out there. I originally thought the new starting price would be $60k but seeing as how much he has upped prices on the Y, we are probably looking at a $79k just to stay under the IRA price limit.
Sponsored