• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“This Trip” does not reset

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Now in short (0.2 mile) test drives, it resets every time. I am not sure what combination of events or conditions makes it not reset. Of course there is always a chance I am losing my mind. If I ever figure Out how to get into the mind of the machine, I will post here. Nothing random is ever random.
On a recent trip with the Mach-E (which is weeks ahead on updates), several times my Trip 1 and Trip 2 displayed 0 efficiency at a stop.

On my vehicles, I never reset Trip 2. Yet, last year both Trip 1 and Trip 2's efficiency reset.

In short, the only true way to track miles driven is with the odometer.
The only true way to track efficiency is by keeping track of charging, which eliminates regen.

None of the trip odometers can be trusted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The only true way to track efficiency is by keeping track of charging, which eliminates regen.
I didn’t get this one. If I charge to 100%. Go on a 100 mile mountain ride with tons of ups and downs. Come back and put 50 KWh in the pack to get back to 100%, I have 2 mi/KWh. That includes AC, heated seat,…… and “Regen”. Right?

minus charging inefficiencies If measuring energy outside the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I didn’t get this one. If I charge to 100%. Go on a 100 mile mountain ride with tons of ups and downs. Come back and put 50 KWh in the pack to get back to 100%, I have 2 mi/KWh. That includes AC, heated seat,…… and “Regen”. Right?

minus charging inefficiencies If measuring energy outside the truck.
Correct logic.

But...

The 50kW that went into the battery took 55.5 or more from the house, and you paid for that. That's the charging inefficiencies.

100 miles/55.5kWh = 1.8 miles per kWh based on paid for electricity.

But, the truck has more electricity to use, coming from regeneration. That electricity is used in the calculation. Maybe you got another 10kW free. Think of a gas car and as you hit the brakes it adds more gas to the tank.

Let's assume the truck displays 2.0. 100/2.0 is 50 kW, but 5.6 of that is from regen, and 40 you paid for, except it took 40/.9 = 44.4, pl7s the 5.6 for a total of 50. The truck adds energy back to the battery, displayed on the green part of the gauge on the instrument panel. But you can't see how much.

Also, Ford displays numbers that are to one decimal place, so 2.0 could be 2.044 or 1.945. 100/2.044= 48.9, 100/1.945=51.4

So the best way to compute cost is to know what goes in and divide by the miles driven. Let's assume your cost per kWh is 10 cents.

55.5 x 0.1 = $5.55
$5.55 /100 miles = 5.5 cents per mile

Efficiency, based on energy purchased, is 100/55.5 = 1.8miles per kWh. But with regen it shows 2.0, which is what most people use.

The efficiency, if the truck accurately displayed it, is shown in This Trip, or Trip 1 or Trip 2. But, as you saw, This Trip isn't always right. And, EV stats were so wrong that Ford removed EV Driving History to fix it (instead of just fixing it). And, the Charge Logs may be missing for some charges (and only show percentages)...

Use the 2.0 for comparison. Lower due to driving fast. Lower due to cold temps. Higher at slow city driving.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct logic.

But...

The 50kW that went into the battery took 55.5 or more from the house, and you paid for that. That's the charging inefficiencies.

100 miles/55.5kWh = 1.8 miles per kWh based on paid for electricity.

But, the truck has more electricity to use, coming from regeneration. That electricity is used in the calculation. Maybe you got another 10kW free. Think of a gas car and as you hit the brakes it adds more gas to the tank.

Let's assume the truck displays 2.0. 100/2.0 is 50 kW, but 5.6 of that is from regen, and 40 you paid for, except it took 40/.9 = 44.4, pl7s the 5.6 for a total of 50. The truck adds energy back to the battery, displayed on the green part of the gauge on the instrument panel. But you can't see how much.

Also, Ford displays numbers that are to one decimal place, so 2.0 could be 2.044 or 1.945. 100/2.044= 48.9, 100/1.945=51.4

So the best way to compute cost is to know what goes in and divide by the miles driven. Let's assume your cost per kWh is 10 cents.

55.5 x 0.1 = $5.55
$5.55 /100 miles = 5.5 cents per mile

Efficiency, based on energy purchased, is 100/55.5 = 1.8miles per kWh. But with regen it shows 2.0, which is what most people use.

The efficiency, if the truck accurately displayed it, is shown in This Trip, or Trip 1 or Trip 2. But, as you saw, This Trip isn't always right. And, EV stats were so wrong that Ford removed EV Driving History to fix it (instead of just fixing it). And, the Charge Logs may be missing for some charges (and only show percentages)...

Use the 2.0 for comparison. Lower due to driving fast. Lower due to cold temps. Higher at slow city driving.

Hope that helps.
I agree with your whole point and I have developed a “feel” for the conditions (temp, elevation, wind,…) and getting better at making conservative estimates that usually leaves me with more range than expected.

I understand your point about truck not knowing about charging inefficiencies outside of it but I never thought of regen as a complicated or hard to calculate issue for the truck. Off course regen has it’s own inefficiencies (heat) but aside from that measuring the current going into battery at a given voltage and measuring what is coming out of it at a given voltage and using the difference to tell the driver how much energy is left must be very difficult to screw up for Ford.

All that said, even from first day of the ownership, I have looked at the truck like a horse and try to be in tune with it while riding. Getting better.

Last edited:

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
The foot on the brakes when turning off trick worked 100% of the time for me to the point where I typically do that out of habit now, but I believe the failure to reset the trip meter was fixed anyway in a recent software update.

The issue I see now is an occasional failure to update the miles per kWh indicator at all during the drive, it will occasionally stick on 0.0 miles per kWh, but it does report the trip consumption correctly at the conclusion of the journey when you turn the truck off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have 6.2.0 and it still does not reset every time.
same here. Today it did reset the mile but not the time. I am not sure it is a different kinda crazy with different updates or with different conditions. I didn’t get some of the updates so if there is a fix, it must be in one of those.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
For the "this trip" issue, make sure you push the brake when you shut the truck down and it'll reset every time. I don't know why you have to do this but I had that problem and this is a solution.

I've tried this over and over but this does not work for me. Sometimes it resets the miles and time, and sometimes it just adds the time and miles from past trips... over and over. This is frustrating and I don't see a solution. It looks like a few more people here are having the same problem. Also, I'm up-to-date on my OTAs, yet I still don't have the SOC percentage in the dash. Is there a fix for any of these issues?

Thanks for any input.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, I'm up-to-date on my OTAs, yet I still don't have the SOC percentage in the dash. Is there a fix for any of these issues?
If I remember correctly, I got mine with 6.8 .

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
If I remember correctly, I got mine with 6.8 .

I'm pretty sure that I got the 6.8. I tried Fordpass with no luck and I tried looking at the update page in truck but it says the last one is the Tesla Charging update. Where do I find which version my truck has?

Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm pretty sure that I got the 6.8. I tried Fordpass with no luck and I tried looking at the update page in truck but it says the last one is the Tesla Charging update. Where do I find which version my truck has?

Thanks.

In your truck under update details you can see what the last update you got. Either with text on top like this:

Ford F-150 Lightning “This Trip” does not reset 1711581579760-19

Or sometimes at the bottom. It could be in a very small text.

The previous updates should theoretically be listed in your Ford-pass but I have had many updates that did not show up there. So I try to keep track of them myself.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
In your truck under update details you can see what the last update you got. Either with text on top like this:

1711581579760-19.png

Or sometimes at the bottom. It could be in a very small text.

The previous updates should theoretically be listed in your Ford-pass but I have had many updates that did not show up there. So I try to keep track of them myself.

Hmm... this is what my UPDATE page looks like.... :unsure:

Ford F-150 Lightning “This Trip” does not reset 20240327_185538

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

20240327_185538.jpg
Ford should list all your updates with installation date here not just the last one. I personally didn't care much about HV SOC percentage in numbers.
I much rather see 12V SOC and voltage and HVB kW in numbers on the left. It is so cool to see how much power goes into a cold battery during regen and charging. Or how much is coming out when you are flooring it. I also rather see HVB Temp in numbers. But these are all third world problems. As long both of my batteries are in good health, I can live with the rest.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

20240327_185538.jpg
You probably didn't get 6.8.0 yet, I wish @Ford Motor Company would provide a comprehensive history [CHANGE LOG] for each vehicle, no two follow the same update path........................
Sponsored