• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

12V Battery Replacement - DieHard EV Hybrid/Electric Battery: H3

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I replaced my BMS sensor today and because my 12V battery have been "weird" the last couple of weeks I decided to replace that as well.

I opted for the diehard version over OEM:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-ca-60-min-reserve-capacity-h3-xev/50001096-p

It's a drop in replacement (size wise) and doesn't require any modifications.
A larger battery will not fit without pulling out the trusty ol' dremmel and with the truck being calibrated to a 35Ah battery I'm not sure a larger one will do you any good in the end, which is why I figured the 40Ah Diehard would be within "margin of error" (but we'll see...)

While I was at it I also added a 120A DC plug to make life easier when doing software updates.

Ford F-150 Lightning 12V Battery Replacement - DieHard EV Hybrid/Electric Battery: H3 20240204_171232 (1)
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I refuse to buy any products marked as vehicle type specific. It's an h3 group agm battery.

I can get the ford one for about $250 CAD if I needed it.

Nearly $300 USD for that die-hard one, ouch.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Can you elaborate on the need for the DC plug when doing OTA updates? Question due to ignorance on my part.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
About 4 months ago my OEM LVB was also acting “weird”, particularly with OTA updates. Had it checked at Quick Lane 30% SOC and cranking amps within specs with a suggestion to get a trickle charger. On an $80k truck?? no thanks.
Decided to replace with Ohmmu Li $425, factory batteries were scarce and I wanted something better. They delivered to Florida in a few days and I installed it with a few minor glitches. Flawless performance, OTA installed next try and every try since.
No more “weird” or worry about being stranded.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I replaced my BMS sensor today
Where did you buy that part? Did you just not want to deal with Ford service for it? I absolutely would be willing to buy the part myself too just so I don't have to do the whole "take it to them, they don't order the part until they see the truck and I have a gas loaner for 2 weeks because of a cheap bms sensor"

Are you able to get them to mark the CSP as fulfilled as well?

Sponsored
OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Can you elaborate on the need for the DC plug when doing OTA updates? Question due to ignorance on my part.
No need for the plug if you rely on OTA only, it's for when you're doing FDRS updates on your own and need to supply external power during the process.

Where did you buy that part? Did you just not want to deal with Ford service for it?

Are you able to get them to mark the CSP as fulfilled as well?
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-fusible-link-ml3z10c679b

I did it myself for the same reasons as you even if I'm fortunate enough to have my dealer just 5 miles down the road. But they don't offer at home service and what is a 10min replacement will then turn into a two day ordeal, so I just took care of it.

I have not tried to have them clear the CSP yet as I just did it over the weekend and I'm sure they'd want to see it first anyway.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I have not tried to have them clear the CSP yet as I just did it over the weekend and I'm sure they'd want to see it first anyway.
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I have a local ford a few miles away but they are one of those that has a bunch of SR lariats on the lot for 96k. Even if its $10 to ship, it's worth it just in that I'd probably save the same in gas and electric just getting to the dealer I trust, getting a loaner, etc.

Regarding CSP, my guess is next time any dealer sees it they would take a peek at the part number and be happy to say the CSP isn't applicable.

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Decided to replace with Ohmmu Li $425, factory batteries were scarce and I wanted something better.
I don't know about better, but I suppose it's an option.

Personally it's not an alternative for me (in Michigan) as it doesn't offer any real benefits over an AGM battery plus the lack of thermal management means that - best case - it throttles the charging current in the cold (since it doesn't have a heater) and in that case it'll take forever to charge and you're most likely end up with a depleted battery. Worst case, and it doesn't (throttle charging), and you'll end up with a destroyed battery.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I replaced my BMS sensor today and because my 12V battery have been "weird" the last couple of weeks I decided to replace that as well.

I opted for the diehard version over OEM:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-ca-60-min-reserve-capacity-h3-xev/50001096-p

It's a drop in replacement (size wise) and doesn't require any modifications.
A larger battery will not fit without pulling out the trusty ol' dremmel and with the truck being calibrated to a 35Ah battery I'm not sure a larger one will do you any good in the end, which is why I figured the 40Ah Diehard would be within "margin of error" (but we'll see...)

While I was at it I also added a 120A DC plug to make life easier when doing software updates.
I looked up "weird" as a setting in battery testing, and couldn't find it. So you decided to spend $270, plus tax, for a new battery, when your old battery is under warranty, and you didn't load test it? When you get a chance, please send me some money...

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
My LVB could not stay charged in the cold until I had the BMS replaced (and the dealer load tested the battery) and now no problems keeping the LVB ready.
Sponsored