• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sorry for asking, but to clarify, it automatically moves the shifter to P?
No - the Mach-e has a dial that can spin forever (no real hard stops), so it just flips the setting to park when you power off - no physical movement.

It will be interesting to see what the Lightning does. There is a small motor there (for everything above the Pro), so it could move on it's own.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Found a contradiction. Page 348 says don't tow for the first 1000 miles (similar to normal F-150's). However on page 353 says don't tow for the first 500 miles. Both imply break-in needs but the contradiction is the more interesting part.

Edit: Page 415 says a break-in period of 1000 miles is required.
I thought that was interesting. Is it typical for EVs to have a break in period or is that just a copy/paste error from the ICE manual?

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Lincoln navigator also automatically shifts to park when I turn the car off. But it has the piano keys on the dash so again, nothing to physically move. Ford definitely already has vehicles that do this but It will be interesting to see how this works with the physical shifter. I whish they would get rid of it. waste of valuable space for phones, pens, change, etc...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I thought that was interesting. Is it typical for EVs to have a break in period or is that just a copy/paste error from the ICE manual?
Bearings and gears need some time to wear in.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Bearings and gears need some time to wear in.
Yup - and the brake pads needed to be bedded properly, but even given that EV's are much less sensitive to break in than an ICE.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
@GDN: All Lightning trims have motorized shifters. See 10:30 in this video.

The ICE versions have auto shift to park and I would be shocked if it wasn't included in the lightning since it has the same mechanism.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Sorry for asking, but to clarify, it automatically moves the shifter to P?
Yes. If you turn off the car, it will be in P when you turn it back on.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Found a contradiction. Page 348 says don't tow for the first 1000 miles (similar to normal F-150's). However on page 353 says don't tow for the first 500 miles. Both imply break-in needs but the contradiction is the more interesting part.

Edit: Page 415 says a break-in period of 1000 miles is required.
As a previous non-tower who plans to start towing with this right away, is this important to follow in a practical sense? Hard to believe I could be forced to put on 1000 miles before I start towing. Am I missing something?

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As a previous non-tower who plans to start towing with this right away, is this important to follow in a practical sense? Hard to believe I could be forced to put on 1000 miles before I start towing. Am I missing something?
I’ll be putting the 1000 miles on before I start towing. But I’ll be towing a 10,000-lb RV and I plan on keeping the Lightning for a long time.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
You're describing my self here so I hear you. I don't want trading in my current truck to slow down my spring/summer camping for the family just because of break in. I'm not sure if I ever heard of warranty claims being denied because of this but I'm certainly not an expert.

Since I want this thing to last and don't want to take any chances.... and because god knows when we'll be able to order one of these again - I will personally try to put as many miles on mine as I can before towing. At least 500~. This may be the day after buying it, spent cursing into another state and back just because.

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will probably be easier for me to put on mileage before towing since I expect the Lightning to arrive sometime between this year’s camping season and the next.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
The BCE aka (Big Brother) will know when the truck was loaded with lots of bed weight or when a trailer is plugged in that it was hauling, and impute a hauling load from the tongue weight, tied to the the odometer and various performance measures (max speed, etc.).

So, plan to put on the 500-1000 easy goes it miles on my Lighting, just like I did with my 2012 F250 PSD, I took her on several regional road trips Northern New England and Upstate NY to gently break her in just before I went on a multi-leg racing trip with trailer in tow (NC, GA, FL, MS, LA, Home). Ten years later she is still a dream to drive and I hope it fetches a good price on the used market this summer!!

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
Thank you for finding and sharing.
I didn't find it, just reacting to it.

when I was a young Gadget, I used to watch Knight Rider (the original of course), and whenever KITT went to autodrive and the stick shifter shifted to R or D I thought, "oh, of course that's how that would work" (I was young and stupid[er than I am now]), so it's amazing to me that someone is actually moving a stick now with a motor. 🤣
Sponsored