• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AC Charging showing 1/2 of what is expected.

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Howdy y’all I’ve got a “issue” that has just popped up over the last couple of days.

When charging via AC I’m getting almost exactly 1/2 of what I should be according to the FordPass app but looking at the charger app / emporia the truck is accepting the full charge amount. This is happening across multiple chargers and multiple locations and across all SoCs.

I have verified that the truck is in fact charging at the lower speed shown in FP by basic math / time to charge.

my question for you all is have you seen this? I thought maybe a converter(?) issue but I don’t understand why chargers are reporting the truck is “using” all provided kW.

edit spelling.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Which voltage, 120v or 240v?

Give us some values you've interpolated so far.

And some screen shots

OP
OP

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sure. It’s 240

in the screenshot below we are charging at 8.4 according to emporia but truck is registering 4. I would like to add I’ve never seen the peak and drop every so many seconds before but the three chargers I’ve used have shown the peak / drop every couple of seconds.

the math I used was very rounded but truck was at 60 soc so I used 60/8.4 should be about 7 hours but it was closer to 15.

the truck is currently at the airport but at that charger it’s showing it’s a 6 kW charger truck is showing 3.

used a friends Tesla charger the day before and it was showing just a little over 3 as well

Ford F-150 Lightning AC Charging showing 1/2 of what is expected. IMG_0963

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
in the screenshot below we are charging at 8.4 according to emporia but truck is registering 4.
The Ford Pass, active charging data screen is severely inaccurate, I generally charge at 18KW indicated by my Emploria Vue2 energy monitor, while the Ford Pass application typically say's the truck is getting 16KW, one could interpret this to be NET energy to the DC battery vs. gross energy flowing into the AC/DC inverter.

Your 50% variance is outside my experiences, but others charging at the lower rate can chime in with their measurements.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Have your dealership service department look into this slow rate of charge, there may be an issue with the AC/DC inverter.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have your dealership service department look into this slow rate of charge, there may be an issue with the AC/DC inverter.
When I get back I’ll put it on the charger and throw and obd reader on it.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
That almost looks like power is reduced due to duty cycle, meaning the truck is throttling the power. Mach-E's had an issue last year where something similar happened, I believe due to a software update exposing a faulty temperature sensor near the charge port. I'll try and dig up that thread.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Howdy y’all I’ve got a “issue” that has just popped up over the last couple of days.

When charging via AC I’m getting almost exactly 1/2 of what I should be according to the FordPass app but looking at the charger app / emporia the truck is accepting the full charge amount. This is happening across multiple chargers and multiple locations and across all SoCs.

I have verified that the truck is in fact charging at the lower speed shown in FP by basic math / time to charge.

my question for you all is have you seen this? I thought maybe a converter(?) issue but I don’t understand why chargers are reporting the truck is “using” all provided kW.

edit spelling.
it’s confusing because The Ford Pass app is showing DC kW going into the battery - not AC kW coming from the EVSE.

So the app gives the view from the DC/battery side of the AC/DC charger/inverter

High voltage battery voltage ~365v
High voltage battery charging amperage ~28A

365v*28A=10.2kW DC (10,200w)

here is stats from Home Assistant
Ford F-150 Lightning AC Charging showing 1/2 of what is expected. IMG_2245
Ford F-150 Lightning AC Charging showing 1/2 of what is expected. IMG_2246

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If it’s always half, I suspect one of your two onboard chargers has failed. They normally split the input - I don’t know what’s supposed to happen if one fails, but this could be it.

The Mach-E issue mentioned above doesn’t apply here. That was a software change specifically targeted at the Mach-E charge port temperature management.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Ford Pass will report two different numbers depending whether you read from Charge Logs under Vehicle tab or Charge Events under Charge Station tab. This is from memory since now I use FCSP only as a dumb EVSE but the Charge Log number was around 90% of the Charge Event number. My belief was that the larger value was what I paid my utility supplier for and the Charge Log was what the truck received.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
If it’s always half, I suspect one of your two onboard chargers has failed. They normally split the input - I don’t know what’s supposed to happen if one fails, but this could be it.

The Mach-E issue mentioned above doesn’t apply here. That was a software change specifically targeted at the Mach-E charge port temperature management.
If he's seeing the drain at the wall then the truck is putting it somewhere.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think it's the same cause as the Mach-E, but the symptoms are similar enough that those threads might be useful for diagnosis ideas.

My suspicion is temperature throttling, either due to a real issue or a bad temp sensor. I would check the charge port for debris in case something is causing a poor connection which then could cause overheating.

Bottom line though, this needs to go to the dealer.
Sponsored