• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Data center engineering needs triple redundancy if they aren't doing so!!
This is how the IRS works, three centers watching each others back at all times.
In this particular case, it could have been the TCU connecting from one tower to another during the server request delivery process since I was driving. Below is a screenshot from two days earlier when I was sent 4.2.3 while also at work. Everything is almost the same, except this time, it was able to pull the manifest and download the files the first time it requested.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out? 1696348914822
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
In this particular case, it could have been the TCU connecting from one tower to another during the server request delivery process since I was driving. Below is a screenshot from two days earlier when I was sent 4.2.3 while also at work. Everything is almost the same, except this time, it was able to pull the manifest and download the files the first time it requested.

1696348914822.png
Yes, wholly agree with vehicles in transit, that's going to be hit & miss.

For vehicles with long term [weeks & months] out of cycle on the update schedule, that's where improving the methodology of scanning for status and server capacity enhancement can help, once the vehicle is at rest near a good cell signal or registered wifi site.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
100% agreed. The way they roll them out is the biggest issue. This would be the main point the OP was asking about. As closely as I have been following these OTA's and the problems associated with them for the past two years, the one thing I have not been able to find is any sensical pattern as to how they send out updates. I do know that they get sent out in waves to groups of VINs at a time. There is a member on the ICE forums whose VIN is almost identical to mine and we would always get OTA's at almost the same time.

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
This is exactly what happened to me as well. The truck got PU0306-BCF-DET in July and nothing since. The dealer says there are no updates in the queue for my truck so nothing for them to help with. There are many updates that folks have posted on the forums that we are simply not getting. I hope Ford makes this process more predictable.
Same for me as well.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
PU0306-BCF-DET was installed on June 23rd....nothing since.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
My cell coverage isn't the best in my area so I find (and track) that my truck is downloading from "some place" over wifi. I can't say where since I never really tracked it at that level, however I can gauge the amount of traffic in/out during a given time. Usually anything over several MB for me would be some sort of update.

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Some of this is due to the fact that a 2023 delivered X months ago isn't due for updates that a 2023 delivered X+3 months ago is. Or that a 2022 is.

I bought a 2022 demo in May. As a condition of sale, I required it to be fully updated (overseen by someone with FDRS access for me to make sure it was done). It took around 14 hours (updates at dealer are slower than OTA). There were so many updates, that FDRS could not show them all after they are applied, it errors out. Since May, I've gotten a handful of updates, the latest a few days ago.

But again, I have a 2022. 2023s may have come with those modules already more updated than mine.

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some of this is due to the fact that a 2023 delivered X months ago isn't due for updates that a 2023 delivered X+3 months ago is. Or that a 2022 is.

I bought a 2022 demo in May. As a condition of sale, I required it to be fully updated (overseen by someone with FDRS access for me to make sure it was done). It took around 14 hours (updates at dealer are slower than OTA). There were so many updates, that FDRS could not show them all after they are applied, it errors out. Since May, I've gotten a handful of updates, the latest a few days ago.

But again, I have a 2022. 2023s may have come with those modules already more updated than mine.
Even with priority updates? What I personally find frustrating is something like the SOC on the dash that everybody wants but only certain people are getting. Plus some of those updates also contain DC fast charging improvements why would some 23s have to wait months and months to get those improvements? Please don’t get me wrong I’m not questioning you I just would love to know.

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some things you can try:
Double check automatic updates are on
Change the time you want your update ( can't say for sure, but mine started coming in after I did this )
If you haven't received any at all, is it a demo model? If so, make sure it isn't still in demo mode
Practice something that increases your level of patience...Ford isn't fast or consistent with OTA's. If there's nothing pending, nothing you can do. If it where me in your shoes, I might start calling Ford every couple of days and start complaining when told there's nothing pending. Knowing I am behind by multiple updates doesn't sit well and as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Really hope they are able to improve the process soon.
If it is in demo mode, is there any way of knowing or turning it off from our end or is that a dealer thing?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even with priority updates? What I personally find frustrating is something like the SOC on the dash that everybody wants but only certain people are getting. Plus some of those updates also contain DC fast charging improvements why would some 23s have to wait months and months to get those improvements? Please don’t get me wrong I’m not questioning you I just would love to know.
Because the DC fast charging improvements were already on the 2023s...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it is in demo mode, is there any way of knowing or turning it off from our end or is that a dealer thing?
2023s weren't dealer demos to my knowledge.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
2023s weren't dealer demos to my knowledge.
No dealer has a '23 demo model? Seems odd to me, but I'm not super versed in how that all works.

I don't recall the way to check off the top of my head, I've seen it posted in previous threads about failing to get updates.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No dealer has a '23 demo model? Seems odd to me, but I'm not super versed in how that all works.

I don't recall the way to check off the top of my head, I've seen it posted in previous threads about failing to get updates.
Every dealer was required to take a 2022 "mannequin". They could not sell it for 6 months. Some accumulated miles as a loaner vehicle. Some did not. Some titled it, some did not.

While in "mannequin mode", no updates are applied.

Yes, dealers can have a demo at any time. Most title it and use it for a while and then sell it. These were different.

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Every dealer was required to take a 2022 "mannequin". They could not sell it for 6 months. Some accumulated miles as a loaner vehicle. Some did not. Some titled it, some did not.

While in "mannequin mode", no updates are applied.

Yes, dealers can have a demo at any time. Most title it and use it for a while and then sell it. These were different.
I am assuming though there’s no accidental way for the truck to get put back into mannequin mode especially if I had been receiving the updates until three months ago?
Sponsored