• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out?

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Hey guys, is there any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out? I haven't gotten one since July. The truck is on my wifi network and it plugged in to the charger most of the time that its at my house.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Hey guys, is there any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out? I haven't gotten one since July. The truck is on my wifi network and it plugged in to the charger most of the time that its at my house.
In addition to that eloquent response from @Maquis :D, let me interject two things.

1) DRIVE IT. In large part, most updates seem to download at the end of a drive. If it sits for a week, don't expect an update while sitting.

2) WiFi so far seems irrelevant.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In addition to that eloquent response from @Maquis :D, let me interject two things.

1) DRIVE IT. In large part, most updates seem to download at the end of a drive. If it sits for a week, don't expect an update while sitting.

2) WiFi so far seems irrelevant.
And to add some more eloquence to point 1, the reason driving seems to help is because it’s the most reliable way of ensuring the 12V battery reaches a high state of charge, which is a prerequisite for updates. 😀

OP
OP

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
I drive it a lot. Its got 12k miles on it and I've only had it since March.

I've only been charging it to about 50% for the summer since its been so hot in Virginia. Could that have anything to do with it?

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
OTA updates are like a unicorn, you will never find one if you are looking for one.

Still looking for my first for my truck. Sad to see all the cool new stuff that they have released but not provided to my truck OTA. It is at the dealer right now, so I hope as part of the CSP and the two other things I asked them to look at they forces any updates they can. 🙏🤞

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I've never gotten any on mine either. Got it in May, have driven hundreds of miles at a time, never got anything.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I drive it a lot. Its got 12k miles on it and I've only had it since March.

I've only been charging it to about 50% for the summer since its been so hot in Virginia. Could that have anything to do with it?
The SOC for the HV battery should have no impact. It is the 12v battery that seems to have an impact and that is being referred to.

If you've had nothing, no notifications, no failures, etc. it is just likely Ford hasn't pushed you a release.

If you get notification of a download or have the download icon or know it tried to apply and failed, then you have the issue of a 12v battery likely not possessing enough charge and that is when a short drive might help to trigger a charge that will then let the update install.

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT
There really doesn’t seem to be any specific way they update that I know of. I was getting regular updates pretty much as soon as people were posting about them, and then I received Priority Update PU0306-BCF-DET and everything stopped. I have been to the dealer they have checked on the computer and there no updates pending I have called Ford as well they have said everything is up to date . I’d be happy just to get the SOC indicator update. It’s been over three months since I’ve received an update.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Some things you can try:
Double check automatic updates are on
Change the time you want your update ( can't say for sure, but mine started coming in after I did this )
If you haven't received any at all, is it a demo model? If so, make sure it isn't still in demo mode
Practice something that increases your level of patience...Ford isn't fast or consistent with OTA's. If there's nothing pending, nothing you can do. If it where me in your shoes, I might start calling Ford every couple of days and start complaining when told there's nothing pending. Knowing I am behind by multiple updates doesn't sit well and as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Really hope they are able to improve the process soon.

Sponsored

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
My truck was built in January, picked up mid February. Was receiving regular updates till July (last July 11), and haven't gotten anything since. No failures/attempts, just nothing. Auto Updates On, connected to Wifi at home, nothing. Just had it in the dealer and they didn't say anything. Feel like there's some method to their madness, we're just not privy to their master plan. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
There really doesn’t seem to be any specific way they update that I know of. I was getting regular updates pretty much as soon as people were posting about them, and then I received Priority Update PU0306-BCF-DET and everything stopped. I have been to the dealer they have checked on the computer and there no updates pending I have called Ford as well they have said everything is up to date . I’d be happy just to get the SOC indicator update. It’s been over three months since I’ve received an update.

This is exactly what happened to me as well. The truck got PU0306-BCF-DET in July and nothing since. The dealer says there are no updates in the queue for my truck so nothing for them to help with. There are many updates that folks have posted on the forums that we are simply not getting. I hope Ford makes this process more predictable.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
If you've had nothing, no notifications, no failures, etc. it is just likely Ford hasn't pushed you a release.
This. You have to have an update sent to you before it can fail due to low SOC. Driving the vehicle makes no difference in terms of getting an update sent to you. Auto-updates being on or off does not matter most of the time, as that only applies to updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited while they install. If you have auto-updates off and get sent an update that does not require the vehicle to be inhibited, the trigger to get it to install is to turn the truck on after the OTA trigger is created for your truck. Once that OTA trigger is created, your truck has "x" amount of time for that update to install before the OTA expires.....usually two weeks, but some triggers can last up to 4 weeks before they time out. For example, look at the screenshot of OTA 4.2.4 on my truck back in May:

Ford F-150 Lightning Any rhyme or reason on how the OTA updates are sent out? 1696346354362

OTA trigger was sent to my truck at 2:37pm on 5/3 while I was at work. I was aware the OTA was waiting for me as I check my truck on PTS a lot. I left work at 5:40pm and used Fordpass to start my truck. At that point, the OTA trigger timer starts saying 336 hours. 5 minutes later, I get to my truck and actually turn the ignition on, and that is where the "consent" is given to install. If I had auto-updates turn off, everything would have happened exactly the same way.

By this time, I am driving the truck home. Shortly after "consent" is given, my truck is trying to download the files from Ford and it fails several times due to cloud/server issues. After a few tries, it is able to grab the manifest and download the files. 15 minutes after consent (turning ignition on), the update is installed as I am driving to my house.

Had I not started my truck until the next day, the update would have installed the next day. Had I been traveling and not started my truck for two weeks, the update would have timed out and I would have had to wait for it to be resent.

Just because your SOC is low does not mean you will not get sent an update; it just means if you do, it is more likely to fail. Just because your SOC is 100% does not mean you will get sent it update; it just means if you do, you have a better chance of it not failing to install.

Edit: Calling Ford does nothing. The people that answer the phones on their so-called "OTA hotline" are fluffers who don't know anything. They have access to PTS like me, but have no idea what they are looking at or how to interpret it.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
@Ford Motor Company you really need to review your distribution methodology, add periodic wellness checks of all VIN's as to the status of posted or missing updates.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
By this time, I am driving the truck home. Shortly after "consent" is given, my truck is trying to download the files from Ford and it fails several times due to cloud/server issues
Data center engineering needs triple redundancy if they aren't doing so!!
This is how the IRS works, three centers watching each others back at all times.
Sponsored