• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Home Charger that isn't the FCSP

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Emporia can do 48A as well when hardwired. It’s an insane deal at $375. Also 48A is the max for SR.
Since I purchased one for the wife's Mach-E, I am forced to agree with you.: )
Sponsored

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
unless you really don't want to use the FCSP, you can dial it back to a lower current. you can set it to 48A and put it on a 60A breaker.

OP
OP

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
unless you really don't want to use the FCSP, you can dial it back to a lower current. you can set it to 48A and put it on a 60A breaker.
I guess I succumbed to idea that the FCSP is not particularly good quality. What do you all think?

Also, I have no idea when my FCSP might arrive.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I guess I succumbed to idea that the FCSP is not particularly good quality. What do you all think?

If you get it for “free”, it’s fantastic. If you pay $1500, absolutely not unless you are dead set on like $15000 home backup install.

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat - SR - Oxford White - MaxTow
I went with the Juicebox 40 as well on a 50 amp circuit wired to a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. Got it installed and waiting for my truck. I like the smart features and my local utility is kicking back some money for the install.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

I get what you’re thinking….I was in the same place while I was waiting for my truck.

I‘ve had mine installed since 8/18, it having arrived 13 days after I took delivery of my truck. It took about 4 days to auto download/update to the …68… software after it was installed, and I’ve had no charging issues, even 30 to 100% while set for 80A.

There are others on this forum that are smarter than me and can speak to the build quality as compared to other electrical equipment or EVSEs; however, my take is it will work just fine for you if your going to install the FCSP indoors. The Grey plastic shroud/cover is a little flimsy , but should be ok if installed indoors……..

Ford F-150 Lightning Best Home Charger that isn't the FCSP 14A4582A-0002-4CB2-8BEF-AC03CA5965BD

Ford F-150 Lightning Best Home Charger that isn't the FCSP AA5ED388-00BE-4370-9839-E8219F116559

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Same.
Love my Emporia 48A -25' cable makes it easy to charge outside.

IMG_9107.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG
I got a Emporia for a second charger outside and FCSP inside. Got the UL one but the non-UL is identical. Here is a 5% off coupon off the sale prices for the group. DIYSOLAR

The integration with their Emporia Home Energy monitors is nice.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

The overheating with the FCSP is a known issue snd acknowledged publically by Ford.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Deciding which charge box to buy will really depend on your own particular requirements. In my case (farm with no local WiFi) it makes no sense to buy one that is controlled by WiFi. And if it must be mounted outside it must be weatherproofed (moisture and temperature extremes).

I have no need for a "smart" charger just as I have no need for a "smart" watch.

Most published charging charts show 0% to 100% which do not translate closely to most of us. In my case overnight I normally start charging at 40% to 50% and charge to 85%.(using the supplied 32 amp Ford Mobile Charger). At mild summertime conditions this requires about 5 hours for me (add another hour for winter). Paying extra for a hardwired 48 amp would only charge at about an hour less (at a time I am sleeping). No logic for this.

The jump from 32/40 amps to 48 amps is much more than just paying a few hundred dollars more to the retailer. Hard Wiring will mean not just connecting the leads into the breaker box with at least a 60 amp breaker (if your panel has room for the addition of another breaker, and whether adding another 60 amp load will exceed it's maximum). According to my local code you must also install an inline cutoff box (another $100+).

Finally, charging at more than 40 amps takes away the mobility of the charger that all plug in chargers have.

I think every person should just sit down, analyze the options, and do a Reward vs. Cost for their own lifestyle and not go for the emotional "I want the best with all the bells and whistles". ;)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The overheating with the FCSP is a known issue snd acknowledged publically by Ford.
And several members here have reported that the issue has been resolved with updated software.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I have used OpenEVSE for years without issues. Since they are built with open source parts, they can essentially last for years.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello,

I received my extended range Lariat last week and love it. My Ford Charge Station Pro has not yet been delivered. However, I do not think I will ever need to charge at 80 amps and I have heard questionable things about the quality of the FCSP.

So, does anyone with more experience than I have any recommendations for a high quality home charger that will charge the Lightning at more than 32 amps? I am not looking for the cheapest option. I would like something quality with a reasonably long cord.

Thanks!
@GrokTime I love my CSP. All of the reported early problems have been solved with no action on my part; i.e., the automatically sent OTA software updates solved everything. (I'm on version "68".) I have it installed remote from the house on it's own 200 AMP service. Before the CSP was installed, I was charging on 30 AMP chargers. No comparison to the speed of the CSP. It's amazing how quickly my ER Lariat charges. And my wife's Audi e-Tech charges so much quicker on the old 30 AMP devices. I suggest you keep the CSP.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I don't have plug but...

... do not for the of god buy a juice box. Both of my replacements have had hardware and overheating issues in the plug. The software is not any thing to write home either. Every 2 weeks I had to reboot. Threw my third one out with the trash....
Sponsored