• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Brake Lights with 1-Pedal

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Question for all those who have taken delivery. When you slow down with 1-Pedal drive do the brake lights illuminate?

Not all early EVs were the safest in this regards. Teslas do but many of other EVs and hybrids do not illuminate without the physical brake pedal. This includes the Ford Focus EV which only illuminates with the physical pedal.
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This includes the Ford Focus EV which only illuminates with the physical pedal.
Is this because the regen is relatively weak (low-g deceleration)?

I know the BMW i3 regen triggers the brake lights but there's a threshold. Low levels of regen won't trigger it.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t a regulatory requirement if the regen slows the car beyond a certain rate. Pretty much any current EV will have regen equivalent to moderate braking in an ICE vehicle.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I think a lot has changed since the focus EV...

I doubt a EV exists that does not use brake lights on strong regen settings like 1 pedal.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Not only do brake lights trigger, but they trigger obnoxiously often, ie when you are going 62 and you barely lift your foot from the pedal in order to slow down to 60, the brake lights flash on. It must be annoying to the people following me. I'm hoping the 3.4 1PD update includes a slight change in tolerance for deceleration on initial release of accelerator, but not sure I'll ever get that update since (like many others) my truck won't update after 3.2.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I have never driven behind my Lightning, but I drive behind my wife's Mach-E fairly often. She does not use one-petal so that might be a different story, but I do find it curious that adaptive cruise control most definitely does NOT use brake lights. And I thought it odd. I was following behind my wife's Mach-E in heavy traffic and noticed as ACC brought her to a complete stop in traffic with not even a flicker from the brake lights.

I was in traffic later that week behind another Mach-E and that one did the exact same thing. Kinda dangerous I think. Particularly with how aggressively ACC can slow a vehicle down if it wants to.

Has anyone else experienced this?

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Strange on the Mach E ACC. ACC on my superduty activates the brake lights (I can see the reflection on the trailer)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Strange on the Mach E ACC. ACC on my superduty activates the brake lights (I can see the reflection on the trailer)
I think it depends on the level of deceleration. I’m sure the lights come on on my MME when traffic slows quickly.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the brake lights only activate if the brake pedal is pressed, or the 1-pedal activates the brakes itself - there is no brake lights for any 'regeneration' deceleration, since the brakes are not engaged - you are just slowing down.

this is easy to see when towing a camper at night...

now, if someone can just capture my 'automatic aero dam' deploying after 45mph, I'd appreciate it : )

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
the brake lights only activate if the brake pedal is pressed, or the 1-pedal activates the brakes itself - there is no brake lights for any 'regeneration' deceleration, since the brakes are not engaged - you are just slowing down.
The goal of brake lights is to tell the people behind you that you're slowing down so they don't run into you. It doesn't matter if you're slowing down because of regen or because of friction brakes, so I hope Ford didn't design it like this, where only friction brakes trigger the brake lights... unless the regen is so weak that it's barely more slowing than just coasting.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

now, if someone can just capture my 'automatic aero dam' deploying after 45mph, I'd appreciate it : )
If that’s true, then Ford programmed a completely different brake light algorithm than was used in the Mach-E. Which I seriously doubt.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech

Hook a GoPro up to it

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
The goal of brake lights is to tell the people behind you that you're slowing down so they don't run into you. It doesn't matter if you're slowing down because of regen or because of friction brakes, so I hope Ford didn't design it like this, where only friction brakes trigger the brake lights... unless the regen is so weak that it's barely more slowing than just coasting.
Brake lights don't activate when I down shift either.

While I do agree it would be great to have some sort of indicator for deceleration (heck I would even like a coasting indicator) it has never exited before and is part of what is expected of the operator.
Sponsored