• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cabin Departure time heated steering wheel glitch

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My cabin heat didn't come on this morning again. Kinda strange that it worked fine for weeks then off again. I checked settings and it all was the same
Mine actually did work this morning when it hasn't been at all. Maybe we are linked and mine only works when your doesn't! :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 22 F-150 Lightning Lariet
This is super frustrating…but not as frustrating as having the ‘option’ removed. Every time my $80,000 (at least it wasn’t $90,000) truck has me freezing my hands and potentially other parts it’s as if Jim Farley is whispering ‘can’t wait for that Cybertruck can you’ in my ear. This software needs fixed. Is there anyway to report bugs other than just complaining on here?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Is there anyway to report bugs other than just complaining on here?
There is a reporting function on the Sync4 screen

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I’m currently looking at doing a heated steering wheel retrofit and came across the below Forscan lines. Has anyone looked at these to potentially solve this issue. They are the heated wheel timer and temp value. If someone has their vin I can look up the asbuilts to see what can be changed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cabin Departure time heated steering wheel glitch 9A8E5D7F-E383-44C3-ACA1-ACDC2751637F

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
A Workaround suggestion...

Let me preface my post. I agree with everyone. Yes... this is an issue and annoying. Ill be disappointed if it doesnt get fixed in a software update.

That said. I have a "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" workaround that works for me.

My Scheduled Departure time is set for 6:55 AM.
I actually normally leave the garage at 7:25 AM

1) My off peak Time of Use rate ends at 7. So setting it at 6:55 allows me to do my preconditioning on cheap electricity.

2) The 20-30 minutes of the truck being off after the preconditioning must reset the manual control of the Steering Wheel and thus I am still getting into a warm cabin and have the ability to have a heated steering wheel consistently.

Note: The cabin is still plenty warm of 20 or 30 mins while sitting in my garage typically between 35 to 40 F.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just a reminder from my testing, departure time [pre-conditioning] continues to draw current from the EVSE 15 minutes after target departure time, after which a remote or direct start of the truck will enable steering wheel warming.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Just a reminder from my testing, departure time [pre-conditioning] continues to draw current from the EVSE 15 minutes after target departure time, after which a remote or direct start of the truck will enable steering wheel warming.
So the current prescribed workaround is to set the departure time for more than 15 minutes prior to actual departure, right?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So the current prescribed workaround is to set the departure time for more than 15 minutes prior to actual departure, right?
Yes, that strategy is working for me at 15+ minutes, then pop on the remote start for ~5-10 minutes if you want a warmed steering wheel on entry, or just hop in and start, the steering wheel should begin warming immediately.

OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Yes, that strategy is working for me at 15+ minutes, then pop on the remote start for ~5-10 minutes if you want a warmed steering wheel on entry, or just hop in and start, the steering wheel should begin warming immediately.
I tired this
A Workaround suggestion...

Let me preface my post. I agree with everyone. Yes... this is an issue and annoying. Ill be disappointed if it doesnt get fixed in a software update.

That said. I have a "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" workaround that works for me.

My Scheduled Departure time is set for 6:55 AM.
I actually normally leave the garage at 7:25 AM

1) My off peak Time of Use rate ends at 7. So setting it at 6:55 allows me to do my preconditioning on cheap electricity.

2) The 20-30 minutes of the truck being off after the preconditioning must reset the manual control of the Steering Wheel and thus I am still getting into a warm cabin and have the ability to have a heated steering wheel consistently.

Note: The cabin is still plenty warm of 20 or 30 mins while sitting in my garage typically between 35 to 40 F.
i tried this method and didn’t have any success. Did 30 min before and the wheel is cold. I remote started the truck as well.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I tired this

i tried this method and didn’t have any success. Did 30 min before and the wheel is cold. I remote started the truck as well.
Were you at least able to turn it on and get it to heat up once you actually got in and started driving? That was the biggest issue for me with the glitch, I didn’t mind that it wasn’t on, but I was really annoyed that I couldn’t turn it on for the rest of the drive

Sponsored
OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Were you at least able to turn it on and get it to heat up once you actually got in and started driving? That was the biggest issue for me with the glitch, I didn’t mind that it wasn’t on, but I was really annoyed that I couldn’t turn it on for the rest of the drive
It wouldn’t work the entire trip home. I’ve noticed in the past that I have to wait until the next day to have a heated wheel. You can toggle it on and off, turn off the truck and nothing if you use the preconditioning. It’s around 20 degrees f here, and that feature is so nice. In passed post I have tagged @fordmotorcompany and they created a case, but the dealer was unable to do anything. I’m sure an OTA will happen.

FordEVTruck

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER Carbonized Grey Max Tow
Occupation
Retired Attorney; Teacher
Same issue with my '22 Lariat.

me!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lightning
Does anyone know how to fix the glitch where the heated steering wheel will not turn on after preconditioning??? Starting to get chilly mornings in upstate NY and I’d like it to work as it should.
Is it an OTA update? I do have 6.3 installed by the dealer. Was hoping this would fix the issue.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know how to fix the glitch where the heated steering wheel will not turn on after preconditioning??? Starting to get chilly mornings in upstate NY and I’d like it to work as it should.
Is it an OTA update? I do have 6.3 installed by the dealer. Was hoping this would fix the issue.
Schedule your departure time more than 30 minutes prior to actual leave time, this gives the truck enough time to finish pre-conditioning, the truck goes to sleep, once you are actually ready to go, start the truck normally or use remote start a couple minutes prior this should make the heated steering wheel work.
Sponsored