• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Network Engineer
Tesla actually just issued a "recall" for something similar where the regen was slowing the vehicle down quickly enough that it should warrant brake lights. OTA update, as said before, but definitely something manufacturer's should have on the checklist. "If Car slows down more than a standard ICE car would when removing foot from accelerator, then brake lights"
Sponsored

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Either this cop is really dumb, or your specific truck is working improperly. There is nothing "official" about this. The brake lights come on if the truck senses deceleration above a certain threshold and when coming to a stop.
This right here. Teslas work the same way and I've noticed with the ones I've owned that they're always tweaking the threshold with many of the updates. I'll watch who's behind me and if I'm not sure if my brake lights are on or maybe they need a flash, I'll tap the brake pedal just to be sure. I don't recall the Lightning having any indicator on the dash for brake light activity. On a Tesla, the image of your car on the screen will show what lights are on, brake lights and all, in real time.

Really the regen is no different than driving a manual transmission and letting the engine slow you, but unlike the manual ICE vehicle, the regen braking will activate brake lights if it's slowing fast enough.

That cop is a moron.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
This right here. Teslas work the same way and I've noticed with the ones I've owned that they're always tweaking the threshold with many of the updates. I'll watch who's behind me and if I'm not sure if my brake lights are on or maybe they need a flash, I'll tap the brake pedal just to be sure. I don't recall the Lightning having any indicator on the dash for brake light activity. On a Tesla, the image of your car on the screen will show what lights are on, brake lights and all, in real time.

Really the regen is no different than driving a manual transmission and letting the engine slow you, but unlike the manual ICE vehicle, the regen braking will activate brake lights if it's slowing fast enough.

That cop is a moron.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Well this might explain why we've seen two forum members trucks get rear ended. I won't be using one pedal drive for this reason alone. The drivers in Charlotte, NC are bad enough I don't need to give em another reason to not be paying attention because of my non brake lights as I stop
I was not using any 'one pedal' mode driving, I was simply in 'Sport Mode'... but it works the same in any of the drive modes. As for 'one pedal' driving, yes, it WILL engage the physical brakes, when needed, so one-pedal mode driving is not the same as simply using 'regen' to slow the vehicle, which does NOT engage the brakes.

Driving laws do not put the onus on the car in front, but the car in BACK, as to who has to manage their speeds and be aware of their distance from the car in front. NO LAWS provide for anything different, no matter whether anyone thinks that just because a vehicle's brake lights don't engage while slowing is somehow a 'violation', of sorts. It is not, and never will be. It's YOUR duty, as the vehicle following, to maintain your OWN distance, to be prepared for ANY movement of the vehicle in front of you. This is why rear-ending someone is always YOUR fault, not theirs, no matter WHAT they did that you think might have made them 'deserve' it.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Either this cop is really dumb, or your specific truck is working improperly. There is nothing "official" about this. The brake lights come on if the truck senses deceleration above a certain threshold and when coming to a stop.
no it does not, and should not... slowing, deceleration, or any other term you want to use is not 'stopping'. Stopping is stopping. It's not slowing. It's coming to a complete stop. If you follow too close, that's on you, no matter what the fellow in front of you does. It will ALWAYS be your fault.

The state trooper APPRECIATED the info, he did not question it, or apply 'blame' to me once he understood it. He did not say that it was not 'legal' to slow without brake lights applying. Brake lights are for braking, not for slowing.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I was not using any 'one pedal' mode driving, I was simply in 'Sport Mode'... but it works the same in any of the drive modes. As for 'one pedal' driving, yes, it WILL engage the physical brakes, when needed, so one-pedal mode driving is not the same as simply using 'regen' to slow the vehicle, which does NOT engage the brakes.
Just to clarify, the mechanical brakes are only applied by pressing the brake pedal. In 1PD, the mechanical brakes are only applied just as the vehicle comes to a stop in order to hold it stationary unless you press the brake pedal.
Maybe that’s what you’re saying.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
slowing, deceleration, or any other term you want to use is not 'stopping'. Stopping is stopping
Per NHTSA:

The SAE Recommended Practices on stop lamps that are incorporated by reference into Standard No. 108, SAE J586 (May 1984) and SAE J1398 (May 1985), define stop lamps as [l]amps which indicate the intention of the operator of a vehicle to stop or diminish speed by braking. If the vehicle is designed so that release of the accelerator results in braking action from the HLA, we believe this condition can be viewed as an intention by the operator to diminish speed by braking.

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Network Engineer
That statement is false. One pedal driving just applies the regeneration more aggressively to slow you down more and regen more power.

The manual actually doesn't state anywhere that one pedal driving uses the mechanical brakes. In fact, it states that one pedal driving will not bring the vehicle to a complete stop in certain situations. That is exactly the opposite of what would happen if one pedal driving were to apply brakes. A quick perusal of most EV manufacturers only mention that one pedal driving mode slows you down, none mention full braking. Tesla is the only one that I'm aware of that will compensate with friction braking, and only during very cold weather or when your vehicle's charge is too great to fully take advantage of one pedal driving regen.

Edit: Straight from the owner's manual:

One Pedal Drive Precautions

Ford F-150 Lightning Do Brake Lights 'work' while Slowing/REGENERATION?    ... the answer is now confirmed: What A Maroon
WARNING: This system is an extra driving aid. It does not replace your attention and judgment, or the need to apply the brakes. This system does NOT automatically brake your vehicle. If you fail to press the brake pedal when necessary, you may collide with another vehicle.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Anyone ever drive a manual stick shift and downshift with the clutch and never use the brakes ??

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I would think it would be interpreted same as an exhaust brake on a diesel, and that varies by location. In some places, (I believe Canada) the brake lights must come on when the exhaust brake is applied, as in my old motorhome.
Sponsored