• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EMF readings while charging

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Some readings while charging the Lightning using the ford pro charger. I have an 80 amp setup but it never goes above 69 amps at about 232V.

readings are at the charge port and inside the car:

not charging at charge port

Ford F-150 Lightning EMF readings while charging IMG_1012

charging at charge port.

Ford F-150 Lightning EMF readings while charging IMG_1016

Interior floor driver while charging

Ford F-150 Lightning EMF readings while charging IMG_1018

Reading at the seat while charging was 0.5.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Beyond not building my house under a powerline, and not sending my kid decades ago to a preschool under the powerlines where they said "it hasn't been proven", I have no clue.

Are those readings in the "you're going to glow at night" range?

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Beyond not building my house under a powerline, and not sending my kid decades ago to a preschool under the powerlines where they said "it hasn't been proven", I have no clue.

I do not know. I think nobody knows.

my only assumption/deductions are not to stand next to the truck holding the charger plug while charging while talking to your neighbor :)

While sitting there is not much to worry about the family jewels.

Comparing the readings to stuff around the house, even the power lines coming in, they are definitely high.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
One of my early jobs at the utility company was investigating EMF concerns (circa 1985-1990). Power lines are a "line" source and the EMF falls off by the square of the distance. Microwaves, transformers, chargers, etc are a "point" source and falls off as the cube of the distance - so pretty quickly.

EMF is related purely to amps. The voltage does not matter (that is another matter - the Electric Field). Agree with the OP, nothing really solid materialized. But Rick was right at the time - why chance it? The worst offender were the old style electric blankets with a single wire. Keep those away from pregnant women.

Best way to reduce the field is to have conductors close together with opposite currents so they fields mostly cancel. Like twisted pair cable. This is what they did with electric blankets and the EMF was significantly reduced. We changed the phasing of some double-circuit transmission lines that reduced the fields pretty well. I wrote a computer program that would calculate the fields based on different phasing. Had to use that EE degree for something!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The EMF you measure would likely be the same for another load of the same amperage through a similar cable. This is not EV-specific.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Just do what I do, wrap your kids up in this:
Ford F-150 Lightning EMF readings while charging 1705275890603

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I already have to use that on my keys, now your telling me I have to use it on my kids?!?!
I mean you don’t HAVE too. Only if you love them and don’t want them to develop to be evil mutants.

Just wear a hat.

283979764_7f86e010c4_z.jpg
Who’s to say I don’t already? You’ve been on here long enough to know my posts.

Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I mean you don’t HAVE too. Only if you love them and don’t want them to develop to be evil mutants.

Who’s to say I don’t already? You’ve been on here long enough to know my posts.
To late for that...Also I think you have the tinfoil covering the wrong place to protect, needs to be on the bottom.
Ford F-150 Lightning EMF readings while charging 1000235076

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I wonder what it is during DC fast charging and also while driving.
sitting areas while charging or driving have normal readings. I'll try on the fast charger when I get a chance.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I wonder what it is during DC fast charging…
Since it’s related to amps I would expect much higher.
So you have to ask yourself, which is safer: sitting in your truck or going into that Walmart? :)

MrRumple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Someday an F150 Lightning
Thank you very much OP for posting this. Was searching the internet and I believe you are the first to have F150 Lightning EMF readings. 👏

Do you know how the readings look while driving? I've tested Teslas, and troublesome areas are the floor (because of battery), where feet are in front seats, and back of rear seat (next to motor). Would be great to see some additional readings if you ever have the time for them. F150 Lightning is what I'd like for the next vehicle, but I am little uneasy with exposing my kids to higher levels than our ICE vehicle (Tesla MY was WAY higher during accelerations or regen braking).

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Thank you very much OP for posting this. Was searching the internet and I believe you are the first to have F150 Lightning EMF readings. 👏

Do you know how the readings look while driving? I've tested Teslas, and troublesome areas are the floor (because of battery), where feet are in front seats, and back of rear seat (next to motor). Would be great to see some additional readings if you ever have the time for them. F150 Lightning is what I'd like for the next vehicle, but I am little uneasy with exposing my kids to higher levels than our ICE vehicle (Tesla MY was WAY higher during accelerations or regen braking).

Thank you!
I do not think one can make a decision based on these readings. Even if the reading were accurate, there are no definitive studies about it.

While driving the readings are normal. Plus the seats are “very far” from the battery.

I’ll do the fast charging over the weekend.
Sponsored