• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
This could not come at a better time!
the stretch of I10 between LA and Pheonix just got way way easier!

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! IMG_5500
Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I really don’t see this as big news for Ford. Once that Supercharger to CCS adapter is available it will be available to everyone, not just Ford EV owners. What it sounds like to me is that Tesla plans to continue their predatory business practices by only allowing Ford owners account access to use the adapters.

Don’t get me wrong. If I get my hands on a Tesla adapter, I will definitely use it but that still doesn’t make me a Tesla fan. It does make me feel sorry for all the other CCS EV owners that can’t use the Superchargers because their manufacturers are not buddy buddy with Tesla.
I don't think you know what the word predatory means since you consistently use it inappropriately.

You're just a contrarian nut if you don't think this is great news for Ford EV owners.

Maybe you should boycott the Tesla adapter and Tesla's predatory practice of allowing you to use their chargers.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I wonder if this is part of the deal for the 2nd gen. Farley in his interview said the decision was pretty much based on customer feedback and I’m sure they have been receiving feedback on how trash SunRun has been.

I just noticed this new to me station near my home 🥰

IMG_2112.jpeg
Is the the new Cabazon SC?

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The bigger problem is the lack of standards in this industry. Tesla created their own standard and waited too long to release it to other companies and that created a mess.

So now we have multiple ports, and Fords and potentially other brands will finally adopt Tesla plugs after a certain date, meanwhile, Tesla is required to put CCS ports on all European Teslas... Go Figure.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_eu/GUID-BEE08D47-0CE0-4BDD-83F2-9854FB3D578F.html#:~:text=The charge port is located on the left,is part of the rear tail light assembly.

1685097971491.png

The other thing that should've been standardized is the charge port location, driver rear. Teslas cords are short because all Teslas back in and the cord is perfect. If charge ports were all located in the same place cords could all be shorter and there wouldn't be problems when people need to park in one place and plug into the adjoining space.
Tesla charge port location requires back in. It is a challenge for my wife as she never needs to do it. This is annoying and I am sure a lot of drivers have the same feeling. Why not put it in front?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Video for those who are interested:
"I remember I was going on vacation with my kids, and my kids would say "hey dad, can we stop there!? That's one of those Tesla Supercharger stations!" ...And I was like no.... kids, we're going to go here behind this building..."

Ahahahahaha! 😂😂
Oh, god...

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Tesla charge port location requires back in. It is a challenge for my wife as she never needs to do it. This is annoying and I am sure a lot of drivers have the same feeling. Why not put it in front?
The key to a standard is for newer models to follow the same standard as those before it.

Since Tesla came first and they put the port on the rear driver's side, they designed their charging spaces with cables positioned for that location.

When a company uses any other location it creates a logistical mess, with either longer cords or situations where you need to pull the cord from the adjoining stall.

Technically, they're not likely to make the cords too much longer because they need to be short enough to not drag on the ground where they can be run over. Unlike AC chargers, DC cords are liquid cooled.

So, other companies should've followed that standard, simply for the convenience of their customers and for charging station owners.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. —

"Drivers hoping to utilize the electric charging stations located at rest areas along the Massachusetts Turnpike were left disappointed Friday afternoon, with several of the stations unavailable for use."

"The Massachusetts Department of Transportation confirmed just before 7 p.m. Friday that a total of six electric vehicle charging stations on Interstate 90 at the Lee, Natick, Charlton, and Framingham service plazas were currently unavailable."

"The Tesla charging stations at the service plazas in Charlton were working, MassDOT said."

https://www.wcvb.com/article/electric-vehicle-charging-stations-malfunction-mass-pike/44017910#

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Ford Just Made a Brilliant, Blindingly Obvious Move by Embracing Tesla Charging
More automakers must follow suit.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-brilliant-move-embracing-tesla-charging-standard/
At least the article didn’t pull it’s punches and identify some of the shortcomings of the Supercharger charging experience.

The announcement of Ford starting to use Tesla Superchargers may actually reflect worsening market conditions for Tesla. Increased competition and reduced profit margins may be making it increasingly difficult for Tesla to maintain the Supercharger network without additional revenue streams. This announcement might be the first step in Tesla spinning off the Supercharger network so that it can remain viable as an automotive manufacturing business.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
At least the article didn’t pull it’s punches and identify some of the shortcomings of the Supercharger charging experience.

The announcement of Ford starting to use Tesla Superchargers may actually reflect worsening market conditions for Tesla. Increased competition and reduced profit margins may be making it increasingly difficult for Tesla to maintain the Supercharger network without additional revenue streams. This announcement might be the first step in Tesla spinning off the Supercharger network so that it can remain viable as an automotive manufacturing business.
We will let you help us understand the shortcomings since the article didn't.

It's also interesting how people spin the "worsening marketing conditions". When you are the sole leader for years and you still have 60% of the market and other manufactures are just getting to market, yes your share will decline every day. However reality is - your share is declining, but you are producing more vehicles than ever and charging more.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
This announcement might be the first step in Tesla spinning off the Supercharger network so that it can remain viable as an automotive manufacturing business.
At the risk of being labeled a fanboi, pragmatic is a better term for my opinion... But, labeling Tesla as an automotive manufacturing business is missing the part of the iceberg lurking under the surface. It's huge.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
With this great news, I almost forgot the price of a Lightning using the magic dock.

Does this new Ford-Tesla agreement exclude the $13/month payment to Tesla to use their chargers?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
With this great news, I almost forgot the price of a Lightning using the magic dock.

Does this new Ford-Tesla agreement exclude the $13/month payment to Tesla to use their chargers?
Pricing model coming early 2024
Sponsored