• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
We will be able to either purchase an adapter or receive an adapter from Ford.

Either way this is awesome news! No more EA except for Peak Holiday season 🤣
I can see the Tesla forums now upset about all the Lightning owners backing into the Telsa chargers with their trailer hitches. Exciting times ahead!
Yeah like when they pass 6 super chargers on the way to Las Vegas and then take up all 4 L2 CCS chargers WITH there adapter at the hotel 🤔

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I can't see how this can be bad in any possible way (though some people here try to find a way). In fact, it's extremely good news to Ford EV buyers.

- Both CCS and the Tesla plug on future Fords
- Access to ALL the superchargers
- Plug&Charge to superchargers and compatible ElectrifyAmerica stations

Ford the federal grant money, Tesla has to put magic dock into 3000? locations (forgot the exact number). But to open all 12K locations to current Ford EVs, perhaps Ford will sell or send us all adapters since Tesla will not have magic dock everywhere.

[EDIT] YES, Ford/Tesla will offer an adapter for CCS vehicles starting next year.
Could be bad for existing owners if the adapter sucks. In that scenario, resale values would fall significantly when NACS option is made available with the XYZ option bundle.

BoomerRocco

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 5.0, 2023 Lightning Pro
This is great news. I see some folks saying that this means CCS is going away from future Ford vehicles, but I didn't see that specified in the press release - seems to be intentionally vague. I think having both makes the most sense for Ford. While the Tesla network is more reliable, the last numbers I saw showed total Level 3 outnumber total Tesla. Having both means Ford will have the winning standard no matter what.

I am looking forward to it but concerned that the adapter price could be exorbitant (just look at how much Ford now charges for the mobile power cord). I am also concerned that there just seems to be some hand-waving over the FordPass app working with the SC network. I really hope the two companies collaborate on that piece because Ford has demonstrated it is not at the pinnacle when it comes to software development.

Despite all the positive aspects, I'd probably maintain a preference for EA since the kwh rates are lower (at least out here) vs Tesla. But knowing the SC is a secondary option will definitely help.

Those higher kwh rates also mean more revenue for Tesla to help pay for the continued investment in the network - which is the reason they are so much more reliable.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I think anyone tripping with a trailer needs pull through charging. Also, charging space for pull in or back in for a truck at most current locations is too narrow for me, especially when lanes at supermarkets are minimal. What is the chance and how long will we wait for more space and convenience for larger EVs?

Sponsored

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado
Occupation
Construction
It would be great if they offered an option of an adapter with an extra 12' of cable, I can totally see myself throwing it in the under-frunk for road trips.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
It would be great if they offered an option of an adapter with an extra 12' of cable, I can totally see myself throwing it in the under-frunk for road trips.
Do the DCFC cables require internal cooling? Not sure how that would work if any cable length is needed.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
If the motor trend review of the Tesla magic box is any indication, I would expect the existing Tesla owners to be annoyed since the F150L would need to take 2 bays as the existing cables are too short:

https://www.motortrend.com/features...agic-dock-hands-on-review-charging-other-evs/

For example, despite having its charging port on the driver's front fender, the F-150 Lightning has such a long nose the Supercharger's short cable didn't reach when we pulled into the spot normally. Consequently, we parked the truck at a 45-degree angle, occupying an adjacent empty space. Although a significant portion of the truck extended into the adjacent space, we weren't obstructing another Supercharger.
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! IMG_2948

Also if an adapter will be made, IMHO it needs to add more cable length too vs just a simple adapter. If the current Tesla adapter cost around $180, I would expect the same or more if it comes with extension cable too.

Here is a video from State Of Charge:

On a different note… it looks like my question was answered: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...nies-adopt-the-tesla-nacs-and-drop-ccs.13644/

I did that post several months ago, and it goes to show how quickly things can change.

Last edited:

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
No they don't.

Why would Ford sign a deal with Tesla if they weren't sure that Ford owners would get the adapters?

You're just making stuff up.
Keep your head in the sand and you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I've seen so many complaints about Tesla charge cable length, but honestly most EA cables barely reach where I need them to on the truck.

Tesla will perhaps add some signage that the end stall or the most accessible stall for trucks maybe be used as a last resort/to be saved for trucks. Who knows, it will be handled.
The bigger problem is the lack of standards in this industry. Tesla created their own standard and waited too long to release it to other companies and that created a mess.

So now we have multiple ports, and Fords and potentially other brands will finally adopt Tesla plugs after a certain date, meanwhile, Tesla is required to put CCS ports on all European Teslas... Go Figure.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/... left,is part of the rear tail light assembly.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! 1685097971491

The other thing that should've been standardized is the charge port location, driver rear. Teslas cords are short because all Teslas back in and the cord is perfect. If charge ports were all located in the same place cords could all be shorter and there wouldn't be problems when people need to park in one place and plug into the adjoining space.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
- Both CCS and the Tesla plug on future Fords
Did you see anywhere that stated that there would be both CCS and NACS ports on Ford EVs past 2025? I'm hoping for both.
Having both means Ford will have the winning standard no matter what.
A NACS port on the rear driver's side would be great. It's where they all should be. Park, open door, walk back, plug in.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Really hoping adapters come out quickly. My guess is this time next year we still won't see any NACS ports on any Fords yet, and no adapter will exist yet.

Fast87t

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
FORD EV CUSTOMERS TO GAIN ACCESS TO 12,000 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS; COMPANY TO ADD NORTH AMERICAN CHARGING STANDARD PORT IN FUTURE EVS

MAY 25, 2023 | DEARBORN

• Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging
  • Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence
  • In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers
  • The reliable Tesla Supercharger network has already established charging corridors across the U.S. and Canada
DEARBORN, Mich., May 25, 2023 – Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024.

“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “Widespread access to fast-charging is absolutely vital to our growth as an EV brand, and this breakthrough agreement comes as we are ramping up production of our popular Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning, and preparing to launch a series of next-generation EVs starting in 2025.”

Added Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s senior director of charging infrastructure: “We’ve spent the last 10 years building an industry-leading Charging Network that enables freedom to travel and provides charging confidence for our Tesla owners. We’re excited to deliver on our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy by welcoming Ford owners, and other electric vehicles who adopt NACS, to our thousands of Superchargers across North America.”

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”

The BlueOval Charge Network is already North America’s largest public charging network with over 84,000 chargers including access to over 10,000 public DC fast-chargers. Adding more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers creates the single largest integrated fast-charge network across the U.S. and Canada, designed to significantly reduce charge anxiety for Ford customers, with automatic routing to the nearest charger and seamless billing via FordPass.

Additionally, Ford dealers are adding roughly 1,800 public-facing fast-chargers and locations to the BlueOval Charge Network by early 2024.

ford_tesla_f-150-lightning-jpeg.jpg

Jim Farley and Elon Musk will be holding a Twitter Spaces conversation today at approximately 5:30 p.m. ET.

Listen live on Twitter here: @jimfarley98

HOW DO 22 LIGHTNING OWNERS GET THE ADAPTER TO USE TELSAS SUPERCHARGERS?
DO THESE ADAPTERS ALLOW OUR TRUCKS TO CHARGE AT LEVEL 3 DC FAST CHARGING ?

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
That is a pretty easy thing to do and Tesla has adapted before - in the UK they installed chargers with TWO cables.

I've seen so many complaints about Tesla charge cable length, but honestly most EA cables barely reach where I need them to on the truck.

The key here is that there are so few Lightnings on the road compared to Tesla's. The chances of even 2 to 3 showing up at the same SC at the same time are slim to none.

Tesla will perhaps add some signage that the end stall or the most accessible stall for trucks maybe be used as a last resort/to be saved for trucks. Who knows, it will be handled.
To me the future solution is pretty simple (Do not over-think this by longer cables or moving the input ports). Just build new Charge Locations as Pull-Through as all Gas Stations do. Old Pull-In locations can be reconfigured as their hardware ages and becomes obsolete. As a byproduct the tow crowd will be happy.
Sponsored