• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How Tesla Fell To Earth

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
My guy, Comma.ai/OpenPilot has been around a long time. Impossible my ass.

https://comma.ai/
Is there a new version? All I see is lane assist, and lane change, maybe stop light and stop sign. All the videos are people assisting it with simple protected left turns and it going across the center line.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Is there a new version? All I see is lane assist, and lane change, maybe stop light and stop sign. All the videos are people assisting it with simple protected left turns and it going across the center line.
You literally listed ALL THE THINGS FSD DOES AND THAT YOU INSISTED WAS IMPOSSIBLE. Quit whatever you are smoking.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Still not a co-founder. Fact.
Webster's dictionary entry for "Founder": " : "one that founds or establishes." Webster's dicsionary entry for "establish": " to put on a firm basis."

In the early stages of Tesla, Elon Musk made a significant investment of money to put the company on a firm basis. He and the others that worked to get the company going agreed that they were all co-founders. He can be considered a co-founder. But I can see how purists of language would disagree.

Alternative fact. :cool:

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
I fall into that category. I used a Magic Dock in Moab because no other options. Just completed a trip (will soon post) from Michigan to Vermont, via Canada. Did my research, and it was clear that the Tesla network had some advantages for this trip. So I paid the $12.99 and tried it. In short, I charged faster at Tesla Superchargers than at EA. There were significantly more charging options with Tesla, especially in the Burlington, VT area where EA doesn't exist. And, in some cases, Tesla was cheaper.

Don't love giving Tesla money, but if it benefits me in money or time, I will.
That is a very rational position. Each person can make their own choices, and that is what makes this country great. Personally, will never understand a stalwart who chooses to suffer or greatly inconvenience themselves because they don't like the owner, CEO or other officer of a particular company.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Webster's dictionary entry for "Founder": " : "one that founds or establishes." Webster's dicsionary entry for "establish": " to put on a firm basis."

In the early stages of Tesla, Elon Musk made a significant investment of money to put the company on a firm basis. He and the others that worked to get the company going agreed that they were all co-founders. He can be considered a co-founder. But I can see how purists of language would disagree.

Alternative fact. :cool:
It was a lawsuit settlement. It's like if I sued you and said "I gave you $30K so I'm an original owner of your vehicle". You say "BS". So, I sue you and we settle, and you agree to say I am an original owner of your vehicle, when we both know that's a load of poop. But you know that I'm going to sue you and appeal if I lose, and go all the way to the highest court possible until you give in or go broke, because, well, I'm insane.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
We’ve reached EV saturation for the moment. The way forward is plug in hybrids at this point. Some will continue to go EV only, but we can see most are willing to change very slowly. Tesla stock will stay high as long as there are believers that it’s worth something. As reality sets in that the rapid growth of the sector is over, it will slowly fall back to earth and in line with other car manufacturers. Or it could wind up like Apple and be worth a bazillion bucks, but it takes institutional investors to keep pumping enough capital into a stock to be able to do that, and the CEO of Tesla is making it hard for them to keep doing that.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
MS Copilot
The person most often credited with the success of Tesla is Elon Musk. Although he was not a founder of the company, Musk was an early investor and became the CEO, playing a pivotal role in the company's direction and growth [1]. Under his leadership, Tesla released its flagship car, the Model S, in 2012, which became a significant success and positioned Tesla as a pioneer in the electric car market [1]. Musk's vision and leadership have been instrumental in Tesla's rise to prominence in the electric vehicle industry.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/7/2024
  1. The Story Behind Tesla's Success (TSLA) - Investopedia
  2. Elon Musk: The Inspirational Success Story Of Tesla’s CEO
  3. Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY
  4. The Extraordinary Life of Nikola Tesla - Smithsonian Magazine
  5. https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66195422
In a way, Musk having a prominent company named Tesla is very apropos of Musk's current eccentric trajectory in history. The U.S. and Europe were gearing up to make DC current a "thing." But you could only transmit DC current ~2 miles. Folks knew about the virtues of high-voltage AC current for long-distance transmission, but there was no motor that didn't involve a commutator for AC current. So along comes Tesla, who invented the polyphasic AC motor. He sold his patents to George Westinghouse for a princely sum along with a guaranteed royalty and became independently wealthy. But then Westinghouse was going bankrupt in bad economic times, and he asked Tesla to forgo his royalty, to which Tesla (foolishly) agreed, feeling if the Westinghouse Company disappeared, he'd lose his place in history. Then Tesla went off and became more and more eccentric, believing he could find a way to wirelessly transmit electrical power and disbelieving the laws of physics, which said otherwise. He died poor and alone, regarded as the noble, pure scientist, oppressed by scheming capitalist conniver Edison in modern fiction, whereas, for most of his life, Edison barely knew Tesla existed. Musk is so wealthy I'm not sure he could possibly follow the same dismal trajectory. But he's certainly holding up his end to Tesla's legacy of eccentricity.

A great recent podcast on the subject is available on BBC 4: BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time, Nikola Tesla, featuring three British scholars who've studied Tesla's life. The part about how he bilked NY hotels and restaurants at the end of his life is sadly amusing. He was also a buddy of Mark Twain.

Edison and Tesla's cutthroat 'Current War' ushered in the electric age | National Geographic

Last edited:

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
“Fell to earth”?

their market valuation dwarfs every other auto maker still.

I do not get the constant Tesla hate and bias. none of you would be on this forum or have your vehicle if not for that company or their largest stockholder.
What he said.👆👌

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Think it’s awesome Tesla is conforming to reality, the whole goal was to offer affordable sustainable energy at lowest cost.

Now they have that opportunity.

Gone are the $50k-$70k base models. lol!

EV’s for all!

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
The Mexico built Chinese models will be a real challenge for the Tesla, with upgraded interior, multiple screens, ect ... all with a price below the current price for a 3.

DaGriff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Plumber
my own take, and as an owner of 2 former LEAFS, sons with two BOLTS, a former 1/4 electric SORENTO PHEV, and now two fully electric/battery LIGHTNING and EV9, is that there is a point at which we have reached 'balance' in the 'EV transition', as some would call it:

What I mean is this: any 'new' type of technology tends to get attention. At first, it was the 'unknown' but exciting IDEA that somehow a 'battery only' car could propel us to places, without the need for gas.
Then, it was the real notion that these are actually WORKING, and now sportier and more luxurious models were available, and desirable to be seen driving. It was then no longer a Prius and Leaf world. Adoption and ownership of these vehicles became much more 'in the know' for early adopters, and those who had money, and those who had the 'means' to also install the necessary 'equipment', for at-home charging, to make it work.

Then, comes the reality. Owning an EV is not easy.
An EV, itself, is great. No oil, no gas, very, very little maintenance, yes, but it also comes with a high cost for some: Equipment and installation. At-home charging requires certain things to become a reality to make EV life really 'work', over the long-term.
So, the downside to this 'transition' is that we don't have those same options for the vast majority of vehicle owners... those in apartments, those with street parking, those with little 'know-how' when it comes to what it takes to be able to charge at home, etc. Even some of US have had our own issues and expenses with this, and the majority of those contemplating EV ownership probably are not ready to take this on, even if they have the places near their home to do it.

I think that EV ownership is MY future, yes, but I also realize that it's not for everyone. Not yet.

The real 'problem' with growth in the EV manufacturing world is the realities of the EV infrastructure. Right now, car ownership is easy. Park at your home. Find a gas station easily when you need power. For EV ownership, though, that reality is different.
I think you have the right outlook on the limitations, capabilities and advantages and disadvantages. Each fuel option has its advantages and limitations. Traditional Fuel had range, fast refueling but comes with maintenance and higher operating costs as fuel prices inevitably increase. Electrical comes w and infrastructure limitations and upfront cost to switch over but also has low operational cost.

personally i went from a ICE ford f150 that cost me about $0.50/km in fuel, plus an additional 3000-5000 in annuall reapir and maintenance. I do an average of 12,000/km a year. For at best total of $0.75/km operational cost.

My ‘23 Lariat ER lightning now operates at $0.04/km. A savings of $8,520.00 a year.
Since this is a business truck. That was a operational savings I could not ignore.

The purchase also lined up with a major home renovation that were were doing so adding the pro at home charger didn’t really have an additional expense to install as we already had an electrician onsite with a permit for other work.

All of this has worked out in my favour and with minimal planning. I also recognize that this is not a typicall execution for others to be able to duplicate.
Sponsored