• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I have a Tesla wall charger with adapter 80 amp how can I check to see what it is delivering?

MrPharmer2012

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
I have a 100 amp circuit with tesla wall charger set at 80 amp detent, using an 80 amp adapter for ford however it seems to charge slow compared to if I plug in my tesla, how can I see what it is charging at in amps, it says on app just AC basic. I bough the Pro wall charger but did not want to install it if I do not have to. Can anyone help with this? the Platinum extended I understand has 2 onboard chargers to take advantage of upto 80 amps but does it only allow this when using ford device? is there a way to modify. IF not does any one know of a way to place both my chargers on same circuit and just have like a switch to choose which wall charger I would want to use if I am using ford or tesla? if I have to add another 100 amp circuit I may have to upgrade my whole panel.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Open the Ford app while it is charging. It will show you the kW it is receiving, eventually, with the decimal place truncated (cut off) in addition to AC Basic. So it may be say 17.3 and will show 17. Or, charge for a period of time like 30 minutes, and then see exactly how much energy it got in the app, and multiply x 2 for an hour.

Not an electrician as far as a 100amp switch between the 2 devices, sorry.

OP
OP

MrPharmer2012

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
in 3hrs 47 min it added 111 miles at home on 80 amp charger my tesla adds 46 miles per hour on this seems very slow, what are others experience is there a way to see more details or change settings?

Ford F-150 Lightning I have a Tesla wall charger with adapter 80 amp how can I check to see what it is delivering? IMG_1465.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
in 3hrs 47 min it added 111 miles at home on 80 amp charger my tesla adds 46 miles per hour on this seems very slow, what are others experience is there a way to see more details or change settings?

IMG_1465.PNG
Unfortunately, this is post session charging report which removes the average/mean charging rate.

To view what Rick was referring to you need to look at the DETAILS screen from the main Home screen while the truck is actively charging.

When the charging stops yet still plugged in, your rate will only show --- and the total KWH sent to the battery will be listed.

131 KWH x 29% is 38 KWH added over 3.75 hours or 10 KW/H or 42 amps at 240 volts

Last edited:
OP
OP

MrPharmer2012

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I clicked on it it said 11 kw/h. I dont understand why so slow, on an 80 amp charger, both charger and adapter are 80 amp. Does ford limit it because i have not installed the Pro charger , I was trying to avoid having major electrical with two chargers for both cars.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Does the adapter get hot, there may be throttling due to thermal conditions at the plug/adapter.

tkittlitz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14Ram1500ED, 20FordEscapeHybrid, 22LightningOrder
Tesla model 3 can only charge at a max Rate of 11KW on AC. Model S Can charge at a Max of 17KW.

Neither take full advantage of an 80 amp 240v charger (19.2 KW Max rate).

Are you sure your charger is truly set to 80 Amp output?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
When I clicked on it it said 11 kw/h. I dont understand why so slow, on an 80 amp charger, both charger and adapter are 80 amp. Does ford limit it because i have not installed the Pro charger , I was trying to avoid having major electrical with two chargers for both cars.
Ive got a 80A charger and I use a Teslatap with it. I get 16-17kW when I use it as long as my 2nd linked 80A charger is free.

11kW amounts to roughly 48A...

Things I would check..

1) That I have an ER. You did say Er platinum but you also said you had to buy a Pro Charger, and I tho if it they came with all ERs..or yours could be used to. But felt it was important to point out as standard range charges slower.

2) Check the panel. 80A charger should be on a 100A breaker. If you’re not, you’re not setup to deliver 80A despite having an 80A charger.

3) Check the wall charger. There’s settings to adjust the charging speed. Check to make sure the electrician actually enabled 80A vs another.

4) If there’s a 2nd linked charger, check to see if the one you’re using is setup as primary. Also try charging it with the 2nd charger free as connecting two cars at once will cause load sharing of 80A between two vehicles.

5) Not a check but an awareness, keep in mind depending on weather. The truck can take time to ramp sometimes, preventing full speeds until the battery is at an optimal temperature.

At 80A you should see 16-17kW.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

IMG_1465.PNG
Miles are irrelevant.

You went from 71% to 100% in 3.75 hours. 131 x 29% = 38kW / 3.75 = 10.13. But since you charged to 100%, there's slowdown time at the end, so your 11kW is more accurate.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MrPharmer2012

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@yellowbuddy
Ive got a 80A charger and I use a Teslatap with it. I get 16-17kW when I use it as long as my 2nd linked 80A charger is free.

11kW amounts to roughly 48A...

Things I would check..

1) That I have an ER. You did say Er platinum but you also said you had to buy a Pro Charger, and I tho if it they came with all ERs..or yours could be used to. But felt it was important to point out as standard range charges slower.

I have a 2022 Platinum which is extended range bought used 8k miles so bought the Pro charger from ford

2) Check the panel. 80A charger should be on a 100A breaker. If you’re not, you’re not setup to deliver 80A despite having an 80A charger.

My tesla charger is installed on his own 100amp circuit and is set to 80 amps, My tesla Model X charges at 72amps no problem every day.

3) Check the wall charger. There’s settings to adjust the charging speed. Check to make sure the electrician actually enabled 80A vs another.

The charger is set at 80amps verified by my Model X charging at 72 amps (46miles/hr) no problem.

4) If there’s a 2nd linked charger, check to see if the one you’re using is setup as primary. Also try charging it with the 2nd charger free as connecting two cars at once will cause load sharing of 80A between two vehicles.

I dont have a second charger installed as of yet because my panel is out of space. I have the FOrd Charger Pro but is there a way to essentially put a switch between the two and just change where power diverts to so I use one or the other when installing rather than both together would much rather fast charging rather than 2 at same time.

5) Not a check but an awareness, keep in mind it depends on weather. The truck can take time to ramp sometimes, preventing full speeds until the battery is at an optimal temperature.

At 80A you should see 16-17kW. definitely not seeing that from 18% battery to 100% it took 8hrs 37 min the day before the other post above

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
To answer your other question, DCC makes a series of products that allow you to load share disparate EVSEs on a single panel. This product, for instance, will shut off power to a load if the panel usage hits a limit (it has a current sensor): https://rve-usa.com/products/dcc-10/

But with a properly functioning adapter, you should be able to charge at 80A using that generation 1 or 2 Tesla Wall Charger you have (which generation is it?). That's why I keep asking asking what kind of Tesla to J1772 adapter you are trying to use.

OP
OP

MrPharmer2012

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To answer your other question, DCC makes a series of products that allow you to load share disparate EVSEs on a single panel. This product, for instance, will shut off power to a load if the panel usage hits a limit (it has a current sensor): https://rve-usa.com/products/dcc-10/

But with a properly functioning adapter, you should be able to charge at 80A using that generation 1 or 2 Tesla Wall Charger you have (which generation is it?). That's why I keep asking asking what kind of Tesla to J1772 adapter you are trying to use.
My adapter is this
https://www.amazon.com/Monzaryan-Te...f3-40d05369be12&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

See also attached image

As for my tesla model X it charges at 72amps on my tesla wall charger and gets about 46 miles/hr, My model S charges at 48 amps max, I never added the second on board charger for that car.

Ford F-150 Lightning I have a Tesla wall charger with adapter 80 amp how can I check to see what it is delivering? Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 3.49.58 PM

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I'd be suspicious of the adapter. If it's as poorly made as the other $89 offering I'm aware of (the Hansshow adapter) it may well be heating up and limiting your charge rate.

Which Tesla Wall Connector do you have? 1st or 2nd generation? The 1st generation units do not play nice with non-Tesla vehicles at high settings - they don't work at all with our trucks if the charger is set to 80A and I have seen very low charge rates with the charger dialed back to 72A. The 2nd gen Tesla chargers seem to work well if you use a quality adapter.
Sponsored