• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Mobile Power cord worth the $500 they are now charging?

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
If you can only charge 11pm-6am and drive a lot, 48A makes more sense, or probably 80A.
No arguement there.

However, I already have a 14-50 plug outside my garage waiting. Fir the extra 8A I don't think it's worth the installation costs to get 48amps hooked up.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I can tell you the truck charge settings are terrible and unintuitive. You have to save a location specifically and set a charge limit for that location.
Which you have to do regardless of which EVSE you use.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I guess the truck uses some power to cool down the battery pack
Which has nothing to do with how many kWh the mobile charger delivers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm using a 14-50 outlet so 40amp max, I would rather 40amp than a lower amp. I think someone mentioned it's roughly a 25% speed increase over the 30amp. Speed at home is a little bit if a bigger deal as my truck, at times, is only parked at home from 11pm-6am. Should still be fine most days...but I have the amperage and would prefer to maximize it.
40/30 - 1 = 33% increase...

No arguement there.

However, I already have a 14-50 plug outside my garage waiting. Fir the extra 8A I don't think it's worth the installation costs to get 48amps hooked up.
48/40 - 1 = 20% increase.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It isn't linear like that. Going from 30 amp to 40 amp provides a 50% increase in charging speed through the charger.
What's your estimate on 40A to 48A?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It isn't linear like that. Going from 30 amp to 40 amp provides a 50% increase in charging speed through the charger.
News to me.

When I charge with my JuiceBox charger set to 48amps, I get around 11.25kW. When I set it to 32amps, it's normal level, I get 7.56kW. 11.25/7.56 -1 = 48.9% more. 48/32 - 1 = 50% more.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I got it free with my Pro so it’s fine, but I wouldn’t pay $500 for it. Go on Amazon or eBay and order a mobile 40amp charger for a few hundred and enjoy faster charge times for less money.
I agree. I did not select it and was planning to order one online as you suggested but then I thought logically price protection for my 23 should cover it since the whole point of it is for Ford to cover the damage they caused by not giving me the trim I wanted on the first round (forget about missing out on full tax credit). So I called Ford and asked what is the deal? The rep said it will be complimentary with my Pro. I was feeling good about it until he said all trims will have it included. So now I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about and if I will get it or not. Even if they send it, I am not sure if dealer will try to take it or charge me for it since it is not a part of the order. I need a mobile charger at delivery to use for weekends and now not sure if I should order one.

Anyone knows how to check what is included for a specific VIN when it is shipped?

You have to save a location specifically and set a charge limit for that location.
Can you schedule that so charge limits for Thursdays are different than other weekdays?

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I agree. I did not select it and was planning to order one online as you suggested but then I thought logically price protection for my 23 should cover it since the whole point of it is for Ford to cover the damage they caused by not giving me the trim I wanted on the first round (forget about missing out on full tax credit). So I called Ford and asked what is the deal? The rep said it will be complimentary with my Pro. I was feeling good about it until he said all trims will have it included. So now I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about and if I will get it or not. Even if they send it, I am not sure if dealer will try to take it or charge me for it since it is not a part of the order. I need a mobile charger at delivery to use for weekends and now not sure if I should order one.

Anyone knows how to check what is included for a specific VIN when it is shipped?

Can you schedule that so charge limits for Thursdays are different than other weekdays?

Nope. You get weekdays or Weekends.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Nope. You get weekdays or Weekends.
That sucks especially if weekend is Saturday and Sunday. I assume most people want higher limits before their weekend and some have four day work week (three day weekend). Can you at least tell it what is a weekend? Like Thursday and Friday? or Thursday through Sunday?
Sponsored