• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat ER - Console lid doesn’t stay up

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Has anyone else had the problem with the console lid not staying up? Is this a defect or is there a simple way to adjust it so it stays open on it’s own? Might sound petty but I’d like to get it fixed.
Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
There’s a nickel trick somewhere on the forum. You remove the panel at the back of the console exposing the springs. Then with effort you slide a nickel under the spring and the stopper And BAM. It goes up and stays up. I’ll try to find the thread.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Mine stays open if I'm parked on a perfectly flat surface or upslope and there isn't a greater than 1 mph breeze inside the cabin. Otherwise it'll slam down. Impossible to open and leave open if driving unless you're constantly accelerating. Not a defect, just a hinge design fail.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Sponsored
OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Outrageous!

That’s why I go to Forex and do an exchange for Canadian nickles. Cheaper, North American quality. I could get Chinese nickles but the quality just isn’t the same.
Where the heck do I find
- Plastic trim removal tool
- Metal plastic retention retainer removal tool

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Outrageous!

That’s why I go to Forex and do an exchange for Canadian nickles. Cheaper, North American quality. I could get Chinese nickles but the quality just isn’t the same.
How about the days when Nickles were actually made of Nickel....

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Someone is showing their age. 😊
Useless fact - Canadian Nickels were made from Nickel up to 1981 ;-) Mostly steel with a little copper and a nickel plating now. I'm old but still kick'n and have some experience to prove it ;-)

Did the Nickel update on the truck this morning. I didn't need the trim removal tool. There was room for fingers at the bottom to gently pry it off - came off with a customary pop once the bottom was released. It was a b$%# getting the plastic retainer tool under the spring but I managed with some effort. Prying toward the spring worked best. I found it easiest to put one nickel under each spring and then slide the second nickel under the first.

Works much better now!

Mache_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT, 2023 Lightning, 2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Great DYI hack...though no one mentions how hard you have to fight with the spring to get a nickel or two under there from the angle you have to work with. But worth it...thanks for links/discussion on this.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Great DYI hack...though no one mentions how hard you have to fight with the spring to get a nickel or two under there from the angle you have to work with. But worth it...thanks for links/discussion on this.
Did you need two nickels on each side or just one? I used one but I think I needed two. The spring is a bitch too.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Did you need two nickels on each side or just one? I used one but I think I needed two. The spring is a bitch too.
I def. needed 2 on each, and yes they are a bitch! Mine stays open real nice now!
Sponsored