• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Do you think the GWM update is the same as Ford Power-Up 4.2.1? And do we have any way to tell? It's my understanding that the "Ford Power-Up" updates are really just a naming package for a set of updates that go via OTA.

My F150 just got 4.2.1 via OTA today, but I am not by the vehicle right now to see if anything really changed. I manually updated everything via FDRS a few weeks ago, but only acquired a 2 Day license at that time, so haven't checked yet to see if it or my Mach-E have new updates. Note, I have not received any update notices for my Mach-E yet....
Why yes...yes I do think it's OTA 4.2.1.

Got the gear out and hooked up the PL6100 and opened FDRS after connecting the Mongoose. I checked the DTCs and did a reset and recheck...and then I went to the 'toolbox' to see the list of software updates that I had checked earlier this morning from my desk.

GWM was gone. Nothing in the list.

So I flipped back to the vehicle identification section and lo and behold my GWM revision was no longer "-LCE", but instead it now shows "-LMA". (This is similar to the Mach-E going from "-LCE" to "-LKA" as a result of last week's update).

So I checked the software updates page in Sync (which I usually never do) and saw this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Lightning_OTA_421

I don't know which is more surprising...the fact that I got an OTA, or the fact that I got an OTA the same day the gateway module update appeared in FDRS as well. Usually FDRS updates lead OTAs by ten days to two weeks (from what others have said on the Mach-E forums). Maybe they were really keen to get this gateway update out there for some reason.

I guess that short little drive I took yesterday was worth it. I don't normally get OTAs at all.

Anyway, OTA 4.2.1 = software revision ML3T-14H021-LMA on my '22 Lightning ('23s may see a different rev afterward, we'll have to see :unsure:).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess since many Mach-Es got an update to the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) on or about 18 Feb, today's appearance of a similar update for the Lightning should be no surprise:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS PSCM-4-Mar-23-Lightni

I'll post what I find out about this after the update.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess since many Mach-Es got an update to the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) on or about 18 Feb, today's appearance of a similar update for the Lightning should be no surprise:
PSCM-4-Mar-23-Lightning.png

I'll post what I find out about this after the update.
So the update took 5 minutes.

Included a new secondary boot loader, image, and strategy, but did not change the revision number (F188 DID is the same). No other changes noted.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So the reason for the PSCM update has been revealed!

It's a strategy update to correct lane ping-pong while using BlueCruise.

TSB 23-2073 came out yesterday:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS TSB_23-2073

As a reminder you can read the available service info for your Ford vehicles by visiting this site and entering your VIN after agreeing to the conditions.

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER

TSB_23-2073.png

As a reminder you can read the available service info for your Ford vehicles by visiting this site and entering your VIN after agreeing to the conditions.
Is this an example of an update that can only be done via FDRS and will not come OTA?

I'm trying to figure out my strategy for doing FDRS updates since I'll be paying for 2 days at a time....thinking I'll wait until there's a bundle of important ones that apply to both my MME and Lightning.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this an example of an update that can only be done via FDRS and will not come OTA?

I'm trying to figure out my strategy for doing FDRS updates since I'll be paying for 2 days at a time....thinking I'll wait until there's a bundle of important ones that apply to both my MME and Lightning.
No OTA for this has been announced. It theoretically could come as an OTA. It has not been fed into the OTA hopper for spreading yet I guess.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
No OTA for this has been announced. It theoretically could come as an OTA. It has not been fed into the OTA hopper for spreading yet I guess.
This is where Ford fails miserable, Tesla would already have this out to a percentage of the fleet after testing with employees. Then roll it out over several weeks.

irpete

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I applied this update via FDRS a few days ago. Yesterday I took the truck on a 400 mile trip and BlueCruise was noticeably better. Previously my truck would bounce from side to side. Now it stayed straight in the lane. I was very impressed with the improvement.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I received a shock this morning when I parked for an appointment and sat down in the waiting room and got notified in FP that I had gotten PowerUp 4.2.2 (driving my Mach-E). I haven't gotten a OTA in my Mach-E for over a year.

It turns out that 4.2.2 is a re-issue of 4.1.2 (Sync 640 update) for the APIM. And was pushed out for "housekeeping" reasons. There is nothing new in the update, everything still looks and works the same as it did after 4.1.2

I point this out because it's likely this same PowerUp is headed toward our Lightnings as well shortly.

Mike

Reactions: GDN

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

TSB_23-2073.png

I like the way they word it that some vehicles “may” exhibit the problem. It’s like Microsoft issuing a fix that says some copies of Excel may tell you that 2+2=5. My dealer has to diagnose this before they can do the update. There are two versions of the code and one works better than the other. Just give me the new version and be done with it, but instead they are going to pay a tech to drive my truck around and see that it wants to wander across the lane.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like the way they word it that some vehicles “may” exhibit the problem. It’s like Microsoft issuing a fix that says some copies of Excel may tell you that 2+2=5. My dealer has to diagnose this before they can do the update. There are two versions of the code and one works better than the other. Just give me the new version and be done with it, but instead they are going to pay a tech to drive my truck around and see that it wants to wander across the lane.
Well I can say with 99% confidence that this update will be required in addition to others to enable BC 1.2 when it rolls out. This is key to correcting one major issue that BC users have complained about.

nag_beer

First Name
Nag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
@Mike G, I really appreciate your posts. I followed your posts and try to use FDRs to update the car. Dealer was no use in my case snd could not resolve the missing options under my software update section. When i used Fdrs i had two updates ApIm and GWM pending. I tried APIM and it failed to load binary files. I updated GWM and after that i don’t see APIm update anymore, i am still missing new 4.x.x version of sync system. Can you please help me to figure out what is wrong with my car? My VIN is 1FT6W1EV7NWG01946

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
@Mike G, I really appreciate your posts. I followed your posts and try to use FDRs to update the car. Dealer was no use in my case snd could not resolve the missing options under my software update section. When i used Fdrs i had two updates ApIm and GWM pending. I tried APIM and it failed to load binary files. I updated GWM and after that i don’t see APIm update anymore, i am still missing new 4.x.x version of sync system. Can you please help me to figure out what is wrong with my car? My VIN is 1FT6W1EV7NWG01946
Nothing is wrong with your car, there is an issue with the database feeding FDRS right now

Reactions: GDN

nag_beer

First Name
Nag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Nothing is wrong with your car, there is an issue with the database feeding FDRS right now
Was the issue with FDRS started yesterday or before? It won’t even show the APIM update under software sections?