• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power-Up OTA 6.5.0 - Minor Adj {Heated wheel & Dep Times}

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
As someone who still hasn't received any type of update for 5 months, what does it look like? How does it happen? Are you notified on the home screen? Like a notification icon or something? What is the overall process?
You get a notification in ford pass that there is great news and something has change but if they tell you what it is, they may have to shoot you. It is kinda like Easter Egg hunt. since you are not sure which updates you missed and what this one does to your truck, you just randomly look for things that no longer works. It may not be as obvious as your front motor and half your power..... What I am trying to say is you are missing out on a lot of excitement.

Half of this forum is like, "I forced the update to install while holding my foot on the brake and accelerator simultaneously and mashed the Start button while my wife misted the windshield with a spray bottle to activate the wipers and my son did a rain dance", then complain that it broke.
They just don't have the right tools:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.5.0 - Minor Adj {Heated wheel & Dep Times} 1702013494227
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
As someone who still hasn't received any type of update for 5 months, what does it look like? How does it happen? Are you notified on the home screen? Like a notification icon or something? What is the overall process?
Since you have a 23 model......maybe this applies?

Attachments

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
When doing some of these updates using FDRS I sometimes get a DTC for the SOBDMC at the end of the process. So I then have to clear that and/or run an on-demand self test to get rid of the error. That would be analogous to what some are seeing with the reduction in available power on the front motor after this OTA. If you shut the truck off for 10-15 minutes and let it go to sleep the error should clear and you'll be back to normal.

This is sort of like the errors you get about reverse brake assist not being available after an update, or other stuff. It's all due to communications interruptions between modules during the update process. Once the truck shuts all the way down and then boots up again it's all good (unless there's some other problem obviously).

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Since you have a 23 model......maybe this applies?
I have a 23 but I never got this one. only these three:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.5.0 - Minor Adj {Heated wheel & Dep Times} 1702047524532

Is there any way to find out if I need it and Ford missed it? Modem seem to communicate relatively OK. There is a bunch of information on Ford pass that is incorrect but that is normal.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
When doing some of these updates using FDRS I sometimes get a DTC for the SOBDMC at the end of the process. So I then have to clear that and/or run an on-demand self test to get rid of the error. That would be analogous to what some are seeing with the reduction in available power on the front motor after this OTA. If you shut the truck off for 10-15 minutes and let it go to sleep the error should clear and you'll be back to normal.

This is sort of like the errors your get about reverse brake assist not being available after an update, or other stuff. It's all due to communications interruptions between modules during the update process. Once the truck shuts all the way down and then boots up again it's all good (unless there's some other problem obviously).
Oh man, some of the Mach E updates really light up all the fault codes like a Christmas tree. Scared the crap out of me the first time I did updates for a friend.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I am still on re-release 6.2.0... and the sad thing is that I am on the Ford EA program. How can I be EA, when I am stuck in the past...? lol.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Mach E already got that one. They just reported 6.13.0 a little while ago. It's a CMR update. BC 1.3 is around the corner, IMO.
False alarm, maybe . The CMR update the Mach E's got updated it to the same strategy that is on my fully updated job 1 ICE truck. We've had that CMR software for a while now.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I am still on re-release 6.2.0... and the sad thing is that I am on the Ford EA program. How can I be EA, when I am stuck in the past...? lol.
6.2 is a last week update…hardly stuck in past. There is intermediate power up which people are calling 6.4 but ford didn’t label it that way then 6.5. 6.5 appears to disable front motor for some while it sorts itself out so be careful what you wish for. Mine updated mid day and had to drive in 8” of snow in two wheel drive not happy about that but after a few hours it was back.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Hadn't started the truck since Tuesday but got the no-name update this morning and then 6.5 this afternoon. In between I had mobile service come out and do light bar, dash mat and the BECM update - which also updated ABS, GFM2, PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB and SOBDMC. One of these updates reset my radio presets again! I'm guessing it was 6.5 but wish I would have checked after the other updates to be sure.

Was pleased 6.5 updated first time. I've had issues recently with these inhibit updates due to low 12V battery. Haven't driven it yet to see if the power issue is there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
6.2 is a last week update…hardly stuck in past. There is intermediate power up which people are calling 6.4 but ford didn’t label it that way then 6.5. 6.5 appears to disable front motor for some while it sorts itself out so be careful what you wish for. Mine updated mid day and had to drive in 8” of snow in two wheel drive not happy about that but after a few hours it was back.
I know 6.2 is pretty recent. However as a "beta tester" or EA, I should be on say 6.6 by now, that is what I am referring to.

Sometime back, I had an update disable the front motor too... it was disconcerting, and annoying. For you, especially in the snow with two wheel drive, I bet it was even worse. I possibly wouldn't have made it home since I live on a small hill.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I know 6.2 is pretty recent. However as a "beta tester" or EA, I should be on say 6.6 by now, that is what I am referring to.

Sometime back, I had an update disable the front motor too... it was disconcerting, and annoying. For you, especially in the snow with two wheel drive, I bet it was even worse. I possibly wouldn't have made it home since I live on a small hill.
I am EA as well sometimes get them first sometimes last. Ford update strategy is beyond normal comprehension.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
This is absolutely maddening that I'm this far behind, even after a 10 hour dealership visit with them updating as many modules as possible. I'm still behind. I'm so close to returning it. I've already brought it to the dealership 5x in less than 4k miles.
Would I be frustrated? Yes, absolutely! Do I think the updates we receive really have made the truck dramatically better. Not really, just minor stuff. Not a big of annoyance worth giving up on the truck in my opinion.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This is absolutely maddening that I'm this far behind, even after a 10 hour dealership visit with them updating as many modules as possible. I'm still behind. I'm so close to returning it. I've already brought it to the dealership 5x in less than 4k miles.
The only 2 updates that have had any serious impact to the day to day driving experience for the consumer is the new layout on the 15" screen, with the 360 camera button at the top, and the remaining battery percentage on the main gauge cluster. If you have those 2 things, you're stressing yourself out for nothing.
Sponsored