• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

ChMIF10L

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm the latest member of this unfortunate club. '23 XLT SR at about ~5k miles.

I drove it on my morning commute fine, went to plug it in and got the orange rings, but dismissed it since I was already over 80% charge. Hopped in for my evening commute and got the wrench of death and FordPass notifications, limited to 25% power. Had it towed to my dealer.

The dealer said they can't even look at EVs for another 8 days, and they had 40 people on a waiting list for a loaner, outrageous. Called for Customer Relationship Center to get a case started, they got the dealership to bump me up on the list and said if I couldn't get a loaner today they have a $45/day rental reimbursement for Ford vehicles.

Although I've loved my truck for the short time I've had it, I'm pretty disappointed with Ford. We are basically beta testing their future flagship vehicle, so when it hits the fan so early I would expect some better support and for them to make it right, not for me to have to jump through all these hoops only to get an inferior car while still paying for my very expensive brick that's sitting in the shop for probably weeks to months.
Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives

I drove it on my morning commute fine, went to plug it in and got the orange rings, but dismissed it since I was already over 80% charge. Hopped in for my evening commute and got the wrench of death and FordPass notifications, limited to 25% power. Had it towed to my dealer.

The dealer said they can't even look at EVs for another 8 days, and they had 40 people on a waiting list for a loaner, outrageous. Called for Customer Relationship Center to get a case started, they got the dealership to bump me up on the list and said if I couldn't get a loaner today they have a $45/day rental reimbursement for Ford vehicles.

Although I've loved my truck for the short time I've had it, I'm pretty disappointed with Ford. We are basically beta testing their future flagship vehicle, so when it hits the fan so early I would expect some better support and for them to make it right, not for me to have to jump through all these hoops only to get an inferior car while still paying for my very expensive brick that's sitting in the shop for probably weeks to months.
Sorry to hear of this as I feel your pain.
11 great months driving my truck.
Been in shop since December 5th for a 1 & 1/2 day recall fix supposedly.
It is still there waiting for battery module replacement.

We are definitely at least somewhat Fords beta testers IMHO.

ChMIF10L

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer

UPDATE:

It seems like opening a case with the Ford BEV team does help a lot. The guy assigned to my case called my dealership behind the scenes and got them to get me in a free loaner, a brand new Escape AWD with a bunch of upgrades. It's not as nice as my truck, but still very nice.

Then the dealership service tech called me and assured me he's working on it, and that I will be called with regular updates by both him and the BEV team. I do appreciate Ford stepping up to help me out while my truck is getting worked on.

One thing that is slightly concerning is that the service tech noted that my truck now has a burning smell coming from it. I had not noticed that myself in the time that I had it at my house with the issue.

This whole experience has made realize how much I love that Lightning. Going from that back to an ICE, even a pretty nice one, seems like a huge downgrade. It's only been 2 days and I miss my truck a lot :(

DavePastry

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning XLT
Occupation
property management
picked my truck back up today after 2 days at the dealer (once they finally got the part in) and I appear to back in business, driving around rental ICE jalopies for a few days really makes this thing feel like a space ship again and cements the idea that I could really never ever go back to a gas vehicle.

spoke with the tech briefly and he did say they'd seen about 8 other lightnings come in with this exact issue but that none of them have been back in (yet) after getting repaired so fingers crossed.

ChMIF10L

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
picked my truck back up today after 2 days at the dealer (once they finally got the part in) and I appear to back in business, driving around rental ICE jalopies for a few days really makes this thing feel like a space ship again and cements the idea that I could really never ever go back to a gas vehicle.

spoke with the tech briefly and he did say they'd seen about 8 other lightnings come in with this exact issue but that none of them have been back in (yet) after getting repaired so fingers crossed.
Nice! I totally agree with you that I can never go back now.

My dealer just called me and said the battery usually arrives in 3-4 days, so they're hoping to get me back in it by the end of next week. If that works out it will be much faster than the ~1 month figure other people in this thread were getting.

Sponsored

ChMIF10L

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
How fast and how far can I drive with power train malfunction/ reduced power. I am 60 miles from home
Screenshot_2024-01-15-17-56-31-61_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647.jpg
Your instrument panel should tell you how much power is reduced (in the truck, not in the app). I believe the dashboard above the Calm screen has a gauge on the left for power, and a gauge on the right for speed. The power one should go up to some power level with the limit being taken up by diagonal dashes.

You're going to be cutting it real close on the range. I personally wouldn't drive it if the power was limited to less than 50%. Ford Roadside Assistance will tow you for free.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
How fast and how far can I drive with power train malfunction/ reduced power. I am 60 miles from home
Screenshot_2024-01-15-17-56-31-61_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647.jpg
Can you set your IP cluster to the power distribution, curious if the front motor is shut off?

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you set your IP cluster to the power distribution, curious if the front motor is shut off?
It was like at 60% power with both motors working. It's -3 here. Battery is cold soaked.
I am at a hotel tonight and see if I can make it home tomorrow. Hopefully I can go on the freeway. Wife is not happy.

DavePastry

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning XLT
Occupation
property management
I drove the truck for a couple weeks power limited to 53% and charge limited to 50%, it sucked but it was totally doable

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It was like at 60% power with both motors working. It's -3 here. Battery is cold soaked.
I am at a hotel tonight and see if I can make it home tomorrow. Hopefully I can go on the freeway. Wife is not happy.
Don't push the speed, find a semi going slow and tail it.

Acottrell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Iced Blue ER
On the list as well at 6030 miles with my mannequin 2022 ER.

Happened to my wife while I am deployed with my job in the army. Luckily she has her car to drive while I’m gone, but coordinating it all from the other side of the world has been a hassle.

Truck at least was at the house when it wouldn’t go into drive or reverse. Local ford dealership won’t touch is as theirpolicy as of 2024 is they won’t service any EV not bought from them. Luckily ford roadside covered the “extra cost” to have it towed to another that was outside the standard 50 mile road side radius.

Wife went from an avid supporter and driving it a lot while I’ve been gone to “maybe we should get out while we can and not lose a ton on resale”.

Dropped off at the dealership last night and waiting for an update.

How are most contacting the BEV team? Email or phone?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Acottrell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Iced Blue ER
Is that while under warranty? Are there distance and issue limitations?
As I just worked with Ford Roadside last night, I can say it’s to a Ford dealership within 50 miles. They have to get “supervisor approval” to go over that.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A level2 charger opened up at my hotel this morning. I was able to charge and made it home no problem. The wrench or engine light turned off. Dealer will call when they have a loaner car and can look at the vehicle. The range is atrocious at negative temps.
Sponsored