• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
For my spreadsheet tracker (link in my signature), Build date and miles? @TomB985 @Wildernesscoffee @SunshinestateF150 @Acottrell @Silenze @ChMIF10L @NoCharge @wmreding
Build date is 5/17/2022, and she has 24,655 miles.

My service writer called me today to tell me they’re working on it. They had to fully charge the battery to keep up their testing, and it looks like they only had a 5 kW charger. Which is sad because they’re the biggest Ford dealer in Minnesota.

They plugged in at 26% at 9:00 this morning, and my app showed 5 kW. I checked a half-hour ago, and it was down to 3 kW at 58%. Now it’s only pulling 1 kW at 59%. It gave up on me at 66% the night before I drove it in, so it looks like the truck isn’t gonna let them fully charge it. I think this is a strategy to prevent fires.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power BAE2E109-08D5-489C-94ED-40CBA168C9B4
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The service writer called this afternoon to tell me the tech diagnosed a failed battery module. The new part is ordered and should arrive in 5-7 days, which is about what I expected.

I can be patient while they figure this out, but there’s so way I’m keeping it beyond the warranty period if it happens again. I’d feel better if this didn’t seem to be such a common issue, but I don’t see myself keeping this beyond the warranty period.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
but there’s so way I’m keeping it beyond the warranty period if it happens again
Warranty for battery is 8 years and 100K miles, but very annoying to be down for over a few days to get a repair done. Dealers need to have these modules much more available and local... @Ford Motor Company ...do better!

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Warranty for battery is 8 years and 100K miles, but very annoying to be down for over a few days to get a repair done. Dealers need to have these modules much more available and local... @Ford Motor Company ...do better!
Agree with all of that, but the frequency of these failures is really bugging me. These modules have MSRPs between $4,434 and $5,391. The ER pack is sold with an MSRP of $50,797.

Major failures out of warranty should be extremely rare. I’ve been driving EVs for four years and have never seen a model with issues this common. I hope I’m wrong and this isn’t as common as I think.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
The ER pack is sold with an MSRP of $50,797
Ouch, seriously? That's basically what Kia/Hyundai has been quoting for out of warranty battery replacements as well. Too bad legislation didn't force battery replacement costs to *actual* costs + labor.

ChMIF10L

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm the latest member of this unfortunate club. '23 XLT SR at about ~5k miles.

I drove it on my morning commute fine, went to plug it in and got the orange rings, but dismissed it since I was already over 80% charge. Hopped in for my evening commute and got the wrench of death and FordPass notifications, limited to 25% power. Had it towed to my dealer.

The dealer said they can't even look at EVs for another 8 days, and they had 40 people on a waiting list for a loaner, outrageous. Called for Customer Relationship Center to get a case started, they got the dealership to bump me up on the list and said if I couldn't get a loaner today they have a $45/day rental reimbursement for Ford vehicles.

Although I've loved my truck for the short time I've had it, I'm pretty disappointed with Ford. We are basically beta testing their future flagship vehicle, so when it hits the fan so early I would expect some better support and for them to make it right, not for me to have to jump through all these hoops only to get an inferior car while still paying for my very expensive brick that's sitting in the shop for probably weeks to months.
On day 19 of my truck being at the dealership. They've stopped responding to my calls, and the BEV case is responding but not helpful.

I'm tired of paying for a premium truck and driving a loaned Escape and paying for gas. At this point I'd be happy if Ford would cancel my lease and I'd go out today and get a Tesla Model Y for like half the price. It's not a truck but it's an EV that actually works...

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
On day 19 of my truck being at the dealership. They've stopped responding to my calls, and the BEV case is responding but not helpful.

I'm tired of paying for a premium truck and driving a loaned Escape and paying for gas. At this point I'd be happy if Ford would cancel my lease and I'd go out today and get a Tesla Model Y for like half the price. It's not a truck but it's an EV that actually works...
I’m on day 11. I’m told the replacement module should be here this week. I’m flying out of town tonight, so I’ll be turning in the loaner and hoping it’s ready when I come back on February 8th.

My dealer gave me a brand-new F150 with 4 miles on the odometer. It’s a nice truck, but it sucks getting into a cold truck that gets 20 MPG after four years driving EVs.

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
My dealer is moving pretty fast. I showed up to turn in my loaner car, and they were already working on it. The new module showed up on Friday, and it’ll be ready tomorrow. That’ll be twelve days if they get it done.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_2881
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_2882
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_2885
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_2886
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_2883

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My dealer is moving pretty fast. I showed up to turn in my loaner car, and they were already working on it. The new module showed up on Friday, and it’ll be ready tomorrow. That’ll be twelve days if they get it done.
IMG_2881.jpeg
IMG_2882.jpeg
IMG_2885.jpeg
IMG_2886.jpeg
IMG_2883.jpeg
Im going to need to have a conversation with my dealer, I’ve been waiting for almost two months for a module…

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Im going to need to have a conversation with my dealer, I’ve been waiting for almost two months for a module…
I wish I had an explanation for why mine is going this fast. I drove it 60 miles past a half-dozen other dealers to the service department where I bought it. They’re the largest dealer by volume in Minnesota, so I figured they’d have a better idea of how to handle it. I also opened a case with Ford’s corporate customer service that day.

I can’t imagine that dealer size would have anything to do with parts allocation, though.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I got a call from my dealer earlier this afternoon. They wrapped it up this morning and it's all ready to go after 13 days in the shop. I'll pick it up next Thursday when I fly back from New England.

The service writer couldn't tell me what it would cost out of warranty because they didn't order or bill for the battery. It's apparently an exchange that's managed directly by Ford. He said labor would have been about $3K, though.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 1706737942821

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I joined the non-exclusive Powertrain Failure club yesterday after the truck sat idle while I was on an 11 day international trip. I contacted my service department at Grappone Ford in Concord, NH, as soon as the problem occurred, and they were able to pull the error codes over the air. They had me bring the truck in the next day, and had an ICE F-150 loaner waiting for me. Late yesterday afternoon I heard from the service tech who identified the problem as in cell #96 in Module #9. The module replacement kit and thermal interface kit have been ordered.

On the way down to the dealership I noticed that the Powertrain Failure message and the service vehicle soon icon had disappeared and the truck appeared to be operating normally. The service technician explained that the night before the truck had received an OTA update to 6.8.0, and the update process canceled all the error codes. The problem was still there and he found it quickly even though the warning lights were off.

It’s been posted before on this forum, but found this YouTube video to be very helpful in understanding all that is involved in replacing a battery module:

I am confident my Lightning is in the best of hands, and that it will be back on the road in the shortest time possible. Still, I am beginning to worry what I would do if the truck was out of warranty, or if the problem occurred far away from Grappone Ford’s service department.

2022 Lightning Lariat ER, build date April 2022, 11,500 miles.
Sponsored