• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Price Protection After the Fact People

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
No wonder everyone says buy a Tesla to not have to bother with dealers. This is a mess.
I have to say, I absolutely love my Lightning, but man what a night and day difference in the buying experience between the Lightning and Tesla. I'm currently on my fifth Tesla, a Model 3 that I bought last year. Most everything is done online, no last minute pricing "surprises", and the actual delivery takes only a matter of minutes. On my Tesla purchase last year I spent less than five minutes signing a few forms and then drove off in my new car. For the Lightning, 2+ hours at the dealership, couldn't get the total price ahead of time, and almost three months later I'm still trying to get the last $2k of my price protection money. Love them or hate them, Tesla has mastered the selling (and charging) experience.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I got $2k less than I was owed. Dealer is claiming that they didn't add $2k ADM at time of sale so they subtracted it from the price protection money. I'm still working on getting that $2k, since I never signed anything agreeing to any ADM. So my dealer received the correct amount from Ford, they're just not passing it all along to me. I don't think I would believe your dealer's story about not receiving the correct amount from Ford.
Was $2000 ADM was on the website when you placed the order

Reactions: s_c

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Was $2000 ADM was on the website when you placed the order
The ADM was on the online invoice prior to the sale but was not on any of the documents at closing / delivery. My assumption at the time was that the dealership had changed their policy and was no longer adding ADMs. I donā€™t believe that I signed anything agreeing to the ADM. if I did then Iā€™ll accept the $7100 price protection that I have received. If not then it just feels like an after the fact cash grab and Iā€™ll want my $2k.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Just curious how/if any of you financed the truck and how you are handling the refund? Anyone have any thoughts on how this would work with Ford options or with a lease?

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
Just curious how/if any of you financed the truck and how you are handling the refund? Anyone have any thoughts on how this would work with Ford options or with a lease?
I haven't heard of any Ford dealerships doing leases on F150 Lightnings.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I haven't heard of any Ford dealerships doing leases on F150 Lightnings.
It's my understanding that Ford financial isn't offering the 'red carpet' lease. However there are many banks out there that will lease vehicles. I'm looking into ally bank at the moment as they show to work with my dealership but there's not a lot of information on their website. I'm not quite ready to contact my dealership financing office cause I know that's going to be a whole mess.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's my understanding that Ford financial isn't offering the 'red carpet' lease. However there are many banks out there that will lease vehicles. I'm looking into ally bank at the moment as they show to work with my dealership but there's not a lot of information on their website. I'm not quite ready to contact my dealership financing office cause I know that's going to be a whole mess.
If you go that route, it's unlikely you'll get the $7500 federal tax credit incorporated into your lease agreement I'd imagine?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you go that route, it's unlikely you'll get the $7500 federal tax credit incorporated into your lease agreement I'd imagine?
Leases will actually allow people to get around the 80k MSRP as well as income caps. But you need to find a leasing bank/company that will roll the $7500 tax credit back to the consumer. Since a lease is considered a business purchase it doesn't have the MSRP or income caps. The battery requirement and N.America manufacture requirement don't matter either. So companies like Kia and Hyundia are using this to promote their EVs or they plan to.

• Wow
Reactions: s_c

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leases will actually allow people to get around the 80k MSRP as well as income caps. But you need to find a leasing bank/company that will roll the $7500 tax credit back to the consumer. Since a lease is considered a business purchase it doesn't have the MSRP or income caps. The battery requirement and N.America manufacture requirement don't matter either. So companies like Kia and Hyundia are using this to promote their EVs or they plan to.
Amazing. Has anyone here had success getting the full price protections from Ford ($7k + $9k in my case) AND 3rd party leasing the vehicle with the federal tax credit rolled in? Obviously a $33k F150 Lightning in 2023 sounds like the rarest of unicorns, but leasing would be my only option to still get the IRS tax credit... though I wouldn't want to risk the price protections falling through since that amount is more than double the potential tax credit.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Amazing. Has anyone here had success getting the full price protections from Ford ($7k + $9k in my case) AND 3rd party leasing the vehicle with the federal tax credit rolled in? Obviously a $33k F150 Lightning in 2023 sounds like the rarest of unicorns, but leasing would be my only option to still get the IRS tax credit... though I wouldn't want to risk the price protections falling through since that amount is more than double the potential tax credit.
I believe the only way to get the tax credit, with a peudo-leasing option, is through Ford's Financing "Ford Options" (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I believe a normal/traditional Lease allows the lender to claim the Tax Credit.

Check the rates, though, it was 2-3% higher than what I settled on.

When I asked my dealer they did not know what it was. They, then, tried to talk me out of it after they read what it was (I still suspect the finance manager just didn't want to do the legwork/paperwork on it). Ultimately, I decided on a traditional loan through a local CU.

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I believe the only way to get the tax credit, with a peudo-leasing option, is through Ford's Financing "Ford Options" (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I believe a normal/traditional Lease allows the lender to claim the Tax Credit.

Check the rates, though, it was 2-3% higher than what I settled on.

When I asked my dealer they did not know what it was. They, then, tried to talk me out of it after they read what it was (I still suspect the finance manager just didn't want to do the legwork/paperwork on it). Ultimately, I decided on a traditional loan through a local CU.
Ford options is just a purchase with a balloon payment. Then they add in the option to turn in the vehicle at the time of the balloon payment instead of paying it off or refinancing. This is still a retail sales agreement and the buyer is the owner, therefore the tax credit rules apply just as if you were paying cash for the vehicle.

The leasing company has the option to pass through the tax credit. Some are and some aren't. There are third party banks who offer leases and will pass through the tax credit.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford options is just a purchase with a balloon payment. Then they add in the option to turn in the vehicle at the time of the balloon payment instead of paying it off or refinancing. This is still a retail sales agreement and the buyer is the owner, therefore the tax credit rules apply just as if you were paying cash for the vehicle.

The leasing company has the option to pass through the tax credit. Some are and some aren't. There are third party banks who offer leases and will pass through the tax credit.
Well good luck, would be interested to hear if you manage a 3rd party lease along with all the purchase price protections from Ford. Might be a compelling option if doable.

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning (Wave Aug ā€˜22 Order)
Well I guess I am done with Ford. My dealers manager just shared that a final decision came back from the Ford rep and they said no to price protection (only the PCO offer would be applied to the new MSRP since multiple price increases went into place).

Iā€™m treating this as a beach of contract or cancellation of the order from their end. I know they donā€™t care and will likely not have a problem selling the truck I ordered.

It also appears that Ford doesnā€™t care what it will do to the loyalty and respect I had for the brand. After this fiasco, Iā€™m going to sell my Mach E and move on. Iā€™m done.

For everyone else who has been successful with getting what they ordered along with the same terms they agreed to, best wishes and many happy miles. No doubt itā€™s a great truck (I actually love my Mach E but wanted a higher ride height and nothing was in the market like the Lightning back in 2021).

Iā€™m going through this price protection and PCO mess right now and honestly am losing faith in Ford. The dealer is pointing the finger at Ford saying they are no longer honoring price protection for MY23. They found my PCO offer but will only apply it to the new MSRP.

I called Ford and they disagreed with what the Dealer told me but wonā€™t step in to resolve it, saying itā€™s between me and the dealer.
Iā€™m a current Mach E owner and that order was a fiasco too.

What confuses me here is Ford inserted themselves right into the order process, then caused confusion by increasing pricing and changing the monroney stickers, and now they are disclaiming any part of the process in the last step when the dealer doesnā€™t know how to handle this all while Ford says they honor the price at the time ordered.

Iā€™m thinking of calling a class action attorney to look into this - itā€™s not right how they are doing this to buyers and abandoning them at the final stage of the deal. I really donā€™t want to escalate this for a damn truck but reading these horror stories and now living it myself has me thinking this may be only way to cause Ford to change this awful ordering process.

Iā€™m a current Mach E owner and that order was a fiasco tooā€¦. I was a day one reservation for this truck and ordered it under the extension program with the PCO offer.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I guess I am done with Ford. My dealers manager just shared that a final decision came back from the Ford rep and they said no to price protection (only the PCO offer would be applied to the new MSRP since multiple price increases went into place).

Iā€™m treating this as a beach of contract or cancellation of the order from their end. I know they donā€™t care and will likely not have a problem selling the truck I ordered.

It also appears that Ford doesnā€™t care what it will do to the loyalty and respect I had for the brand. After this fiasco, Iā€™m going to sell my Mach E and move on. Iā€™m done.

For everyone else who has been successful with getting what they ordered along with the same terms they agreed to, best wishes and many happy miles. No doubt itā€™s a great truck (I actually love my Mach E but wanted a higher ride height and nothing was in the market like the Lightning back in 2021).
That is such BS. Sorry :(
Sponsored