• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Still no go, after letting the truck idle for hours to top up the LVB.
Going to disconnect the LVB manually charge it, reconnect, reset BMS, Frunk & window positions then retry a manual before this expires.
The craziness we have to go through to help Ford get their software installed is insane.
Sponsored

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Going to disconnect the LVB manually charge it, reconnect, reset BMS, Frunk & window positions then retry a manual before this expires.
You forgot the special rain dance! No wonder it didn’t work!

mine installed this update and 0724 both this morning back to back. First time that’s happened:

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Let us know if that works. I'm in the same boat. I also idled for 2 hours once to get 12V SOC above 80%. I have had 26 failed attempts (overnight and update now) since the first attempt on Sep 19th. My concern is it usually fails with "interrupted by another process". FOBs and PAAK nowhere in range.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
How do you "idle" a Lightning? I assume you mean let it sit while started?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
How do you "idle" a Lightning? I assume you mean let it sit while started?
Correct, other things you need to do for extended running while not driving, is to turn off the automatic shutdown timer in vehicle settings, turn off the HVAC system, turn off pro-power on board, set the parking brake, turn the daytime or nighttime running light to the off position, put the Sync screen in calm mode to attract less attention, lock the truck doors.

That's what I'm doing now, truck has been running since 0730, took wife to dentists, I sat in the truck while she had her visit, then returned home, waiting for an hour then off to late breakfast, where I will continue to let the truck idle, by the time all our morning activities are done the truck will have been, driving, idling and stationary idling for 4+ hours.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me. Most posts have indicated that the OTA updates won't work unless the 12V battery is fully or almost fully charged. But when the truck is in "idle" mode and the electric motors are not running, doesn't most of the power to run all the other features come from the 12V battery, thereby running it down faster?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me. Most posts have indicated that the OTA updates won't work unless the 12V battery is fully or almost fully charged. But when the truck is in "idle" mode and the electric motors are not running, doesn't most of the power to run all the other features come from the 12V battery, thereby running it down faster?
No. As long as the truck is “on”, the 12V battery gets charged from the HVB.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Can confirm it charges. On one attempt I idled for more than 2 hours. Using the Car Scanner app and a BT OBD dongle, I watched the 12V SOC slowly climb from 68% to 82%. Also showed the HV to LV amps between 16 and 30 amps. I tried to minimize 12V usage by turning off auto lights, HVAC, radio. The car stayed pretty silent the whole time.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No. As long as the truck is “on”, the 12V battery gets charged from the HVB.
Can confirm it charges. On one attempt I idled for more than 2 hours. Using the Car Scanner app and a BT OBD dongle, I watched the 12V SOC slowly climb from 68% to 82%. Also showed the HV to LV amps between 16 and 30 amps. I tried to minimize 12V usage by turning off auto lights, HVAC, radio. The car stayed pretty silent the whole time.
Yup, my efforts in this fashion paid dividends!

I figured even if there is a slow drain on the LVB, eventually it gets low enough to trigger the DC/DC charging cycle and top's up the LVB SOC to a satisfactory level, at 11:10 am we were back at home, so I kicked off the update process after sending the wife into the house with the key FOB, I shut down my phone, then the truck, locked the doors and sat there through the process.

At 11:24 it finally completed after observing the process, clicks, humming of the coolant pump for a couple of minute, more clicks and finally this, BTW I've never had an issue with lost pre-sets, and today the remained as reliable as before. Took a quick look at the onboard owners manual, didn't a deep proofread.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0110-RAD-PS 1696612071700

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Finally got this update overnight after putting the truck on a battery charger (info here). It kept my profile but reset the radio stations and turned Brake Coach back on. Just like the prior ones. Hopefully this is the last time! Also got the DOM OTA update as soon as I started my truck since it was in queue.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Well, I got the digital owner's manual today. And I doubt my LVB had >80% SOC. As soon as I turned on my truck for a 5-mile trip, the update was announced and started downloading. I thought if I pulled away from my garage Wi-Fi, I'd mess up the download, so I waited a while with the truck on. Still downloading. So, WTF, I took off and forgot about it. After a stop or two that included meandering around parking lots to find shady spots (and then have the live oaks drop acorns on my truck finish!), starting up after my 2nd pit stop, the Sync screen announced the download was complete and installed. When I got home after a 5-mile return trip, I read the LVB SOC with Car Scanner and it was only 78%, so I figure the LVB SOC must have been a lot lower when I started my trip and the download began.

According to State Farm's Drive Safe & Save app, I spent 28 minutes driving, and I must have spent another 5 to 10 minutes slowly crawling around parking lots or sitting in my truck with the vehicle on.

No sign of Power Up 6.1 or 6.2 updates for me, though.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Well, I got the digital owner's manual today. And I doubt my LVB had >80% SOC. As soon as I turned on my truck for a 5-mile trip, the update was announced and started downloading. I thought if I pulled away from my garage Wi-Fi, I'd mess up the download, so I waited a while with the truck on. Still downloading. So, WTF, I took off and forgot about it. After a stop or two that included meandering around parking lots to find shady spots (and then have the live oaks drop acorns on my truck finish!), starting up after my 2nd pit stop, the Sync screen announced the download was complete and installed. When I got home after a 5-mile return trip, I read the LVB SOC with Car Scanner and it was only 78%, so I figure the LVB SOC must have been a lot lower when I started my trip and the download began.

According to State Farm's Drive Safe & Save app, I spent 28 minutes driving, and I must have spent another 5 to 10 minutes slowly crawling around parking lots or sitting in my truck with the vehicle on.

No sign of Power Up 6.1 or 6.2 updates for me, though.
SOC is not a significant issue for this OTA or any OTA that can and will install while the truck is driving. It is the ones that only install while the vehicle is off and inhibited that fail due to low SOC.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
SOC is not a significant issue for this OTA or any OTA that can and will install while the truck is driving. It is the ones that only install while the vehicle is off and inhibited that fail due to low SOC.
Thanks for the info. I suspected that from your previous very informative posts on how updates worked. Since many other folks in this thread emphasized that the OTA update only worked for them when they charged their truck up, I just wanted to point out that the update came through for me without doing that. Perhaps for the other folks, it's just a coincidence that the download happened to become available and work for them after they went through the LVB charging effort, an example of Post hoc ergo propter hoc - Wikipedia!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Removed sticky
Sponsored