• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro & XLT trims closed already??? (As of 9/8/2022)

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
That's not what I said at all. I said the majority of people that feel slighted. Just because people feel that doesn't make it reality.

If you feel so strongly about it, sue Ford for damages as a result of the bait and switch that you proclaim.
No, thanks!
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I agree that while 'feeling' like something is a 'bait and switch', and the real LEGAL reality of 'bait and switch' is two different things...

we all feel we've been wronged in many situations, but rarely is it actually a 'legal' wrong.

No one here is going to make someone who feels 'wronged', feel better...our words do not carry that much weight - nor do people who feel 'wronged' really want us to 'explain' something - they just want to let everyone know how they feel. I actually would feel the same way. I just got lucky and hit the lottery with my newly arrived PRO, but I'm not trying to broadcast that in a boasting way, but yes, it IS exciting, and yes, it IS the truck that Ford said it would be. I just don't like that so many have been left out, so far, in being able to say the same.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
They stated it from the start that it was limited quantities.
What do you consider the "start"? I didn't see it in the reveal or any of their advertising until a LEAKED document showing what they were planning to build was posted on this forum. Maybe I missed it and would appreciate seeing Ford's statement.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It was in the reservation terms that you accepted when you up your deposit down. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...osed-already-as-of-9-8-2022.12178/post-259314
Ummm...I don't see anywhere in that document where it says Ford is limiting pros. I see where it says configurations may change. Is that what you mean? That's a given with any product.

I'm personally ok with waiting for a pro and am not claiming bait and switch but I don't think Ford did a very good job of being upfront about the situation.

Edit: Is Ford going to limit the pro in MY24 and beyond? Have they announced that anywhere?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Iddqd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul +
Edit: Is Ford going to limit the pro in MY24 and beyond? Have they announced that anywhere?
Make it out like a bandit before trains with golden bricks will stop coming.
Quoting FTC press release on a newly proposed auto rule:
In the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, the Commission is seeking comment on proposed measures that would:
Ban bait-and-switch claims: The proposal would prohibit dealers from making a number of deceptive advertising claims to lure in prospective car buyers. This deal deception can include the cost of a vehicle or the terms of financing, the cost of any add-on products or services, whether financing terms are for a lease, the availability of any discounts or rebates, the actual availability of the vehicles being advertised, and whether a financing deal has been finalized, among other areas. Once in the door or on the hook, consumers face the fallout of false promises that don't pan out.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...-proposed-auto-rule-deadline-comments-sept-12

of course, in this exact wording, the bad guy is the dealership; not sure how this will apply to direct sales model and in the case of pre-ordering.
As someone pointed out somewhere else on this Forum, Ford may pull Rivian and cancel lower trim(s) to limit the possible liabilities. People will still buy every single Lightning for years ahead although with a bitter taste. Until there are other cheaper bev pickup truck alternatives.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Make it out like a bandit before trains with golden bricks will stop coming.
Quoting FTC press release on a newly proposed auto rule:
In the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, the Commission is seeking comment on proposed measures that would:
Ban bait-and-switch claims: The proposal would prohibit dealers from making a number of deceptive advertising claims to lure in prospective car buyers. This deal deception can include the cost of a vehicle or the terms of financing, the cost of any add-on products or services, whether financing terms are for a lease, the availability of any discounts or rebates, the actual availability of the vehicles being advertised, and whether a financing deal has been finalized, among other areas. Once in the door or on the hook, consumers face the fallout of false promises that don't pan out.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...-proposed-auto-rule-deadline-comments-sept-12

of course, in this exact wording, the bad guy is the dealership; not sure how this will apply to direct sales model and in the case of pre-ordering.
As someone pointed out somewhere else on this Forum, Ford may pull Rivian and cancel lower trim(s) to limit the possible liabilities. People will still buy every single Lightning for years ahead although with a bitter taste. Until there are other cheaper bev pickup truck alternatives.
This wasn't a bait and switch. They claimed they were making trucks, sub $40k...they did. They never said they would make limitless amounts of them.

No one here that made a reservation is locked into HAVING to buy a higher trim.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
This wasn't a bait and switch. They claimed they were making trucks, sub $40k...they did. They never said they would make limitless amounts of them.

No one here that made a reservation is locked into HAVING to buy a higher trim.
I wonder if you'll sing a different tune if your '23 Pro gets bumped to 24 and you can only get a Lariat.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I wonder if you'll sing a different tune if your '23 Pro gets bumped to 24 and you can only get a Lariat.
The Pro I have a confirmed order with a scheduled production date?

Hmm, that's a completely different scenario than what you are referencing.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Not so fast. Focusing almost exclusively on the price of the lowest trim in your advertising, but only selling a token few for a very short time at this price, and then only selling at almost double that price? That is the textbook definition of bait and switch. Video and LFD 81 are correct.
I beg to differ. Selling fewer of the lower price unit is precisely what the good, better, best strategy requires. You may think that they are selling a "token: few Pro's, but at this point there is no way of knowing what the ratio is of even orders, let along actual sales. I made my living for 30 years selling and "selling up" is sales 101 stuff.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I beg to differ. Selling fewer of the lower price unit is precisely what the good, better, best strategy requires. You may think that they are selling a "token: few Pro's, but at this point there is no way of knowing what the ratio is of even orders, let along actual sales. I made my living for 30 years selling and "selling up" is sales 101 stuff.
Someone leaked Ford’s playbook for the Lightning rollout on this forum in December, and it gave away the trim allocations for Pro and XLT at around 7% of total production each. Did they magically know that’s what people were going to want………before the very first order was placed?
Or did they simply set the trim allocations in stone and decided not to worry about what early reservation holders actually wanted to buy……..all the while almost exclusively trumpeting the Pro’s $40K price tag?
In 30 years of trying to upsell people-which is totally fine, expected actually- how often did you tell a prospective customer they could only buy the one that’s almost twice as expensive? And watch them and their $ walk out when they realized you meant it? Probably not too many times.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
I understand the frustration completely. But for others on the outside it would seem very strange that people are so upset on not getting the base trim vehicle.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand the frustration completely. But for others on the outside it would seem very strange that people are so upset on not getting the base trim vehicle.
I think for some (many?) people like me we just want a work truck. Mine will be a farm truck.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Someone leaked Ford’s playbook for the Lightning rollout on this forum in December, and it gave away the trim allocations for Pro and XLT at around 7% of total production each. Did they magically know that’s what people were going to want………before the very first order was placed?
Or did they simply set the trim allocations in stone and decided not to worry about what early reservation holders actually wanted to buy……..all the while almost exclusively trumpeting the Pro’s $40K price tag?
In 30 years of trying to upsell people-which is totally fine, expected actually- how often did you tell a prospective customer they could only buy the one that’s almost twice as expensive? And watch them and their $ walk out when they realized you meant it? Probably not too many times.
you'd be surprised
Sponsored