• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stolen and Barbecued Lightning

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I searched on the forum and could not find anything about this. With all the EVs on the road, I though hating may have died down. This happened last October to a YouTuber so I can't help thinking EV hate may have something to do with it. Any of you have experienced animosity because someone thinks you are making a political statement with your truck?

Admin, feel free to delete the thread if one on this already exist.
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I searched on the forum and could not find anything about this. With all the EVs on the road, I though hating may have died down. This happened last October to a YouTuber so I can't help thinking EV hate may have something to do with it. Any of you have experienced animosity because someone thinks you are making a political statement with your truck?

Admin, feel free to delete the thread if one on this already exist.
He's on the forum. He actually posted about it here, but deleted the thread soon after.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He's on the forum. He actually posted about it here, but deleted the thread soon after.
Now you are adding to the mystery. Were people getting on his case for any reason?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I personally feel there's got to be a better way of demonstrating EV hate than to break into someone's house to steal their EV, only to drive it a few miles down the road and torch it on a ditch (if I got the gist of what happened correctly).

Unless of course [foilhat on] this was a targeted hit by corporate Ninjas not wanting some simple youtuber revolutionizing EV range.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I personally feel there's got to be a better way of demonstrating EV hate than to break into someone's house to steal their EV, only to drive it a few miles down the road and torch it on a ditch (if I got the gist of what happened correctly).
I can’t think of many. If I wanted to get people to think twice about buying an EV. Hitting a YouTuber would get my cause an instant exposure. Every potential buyer can instantly imagine their expensive toy turned into ashes even if they plan to park it somewhere β€œsafe”.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I'm guessing the theft of charging cords from superchargers have gotten more media exposure/coverage than a single stolen and toasted lightning.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Now you are adding to the mystery. Were people getting on his case for any reason?
I remember reading his thread. From what I recall, he bought the Lightning to make YouTube content, but he did not get as many views as he thought. He put the Lightning up for sale and it sat unsold for some time. He then announced it was stolen and burned.
This is the internet so some people implied that he may have torched it. Others came to his defense, but he didn't help his own cause, imo, when he started a Go Fund Me page.

I think they did eventually catch the thieves and he claimed vindication and rode off into the sunset.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I think you're giving way too much credit to the mental capacity of auto thieves. Right leaning people who are grumpy about EVs don't steal them and set them on fire. They just grumble about them, and occasionally complain on social media. Stealing a truck is a crime of opportunity. For fun and street cred. Burning it to the ground is the final stage of that. The tweaker or thug who stole that F150 Lightning probably stole 5 Kia's yesterday.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This was formerly on the forum but the threads were removed.

It was removed because posts began to get heated and disrespectful.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm guessing the theft of charging cords from superchargers have gotten more media exposure/coverage than a single stolen and toasted lightning.
I had no idea. I just Googled it and successfully added it to the list of my paranoias .

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Honestly they probably stole and realized it needed to be charged and not simply filled with gas and then decided to burn it. I mean, think about it, where can you buy charging with cash? Kinda hard to refill your boosted truck without leaking Financials that cops could later track down and use against you. In some ways, EVs ain't worth stealing since for the time being they're too much of a pain for thieves.

Edit: scariest part of that thread was how they got inside. Trucks can be replaced, thieves in your home around family is terrifying. Desperate people with nothing to lose do something dumb and you could lose a loved one.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
What is he driving now?

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
IT Solution Delivery Manager
I can’t think of many. If I wanted to get people to think twice about buying an EV. Hitting a YouTuber would get my cause an instant exposure. Every potential buyer can instantly imagine their expensive toy turned into ashes even if they plan to park it somewhere β€œsafe”.
This assumes that people pay attention to that sort of stuff online. For those that do look at that stuff online, I would assume that the majority of people are able to understand that there are always haters. Doesn't matter what you have or what you do, there are haters.

I have had a couple conversations with people that have thought that EVs are horrible and people who drive them are too. My reaction is okay, you have your opinion, others have their opinion.

Frankly this comes down to more that there are just angry people out there and less about EVs.
Sponsored