• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla starting to rehire supercharger folk

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Wait for another rationalization and bromance vid from Munro. No emotion, just fact.
Their teardown videos are very informative, but the Sandy rant videos are just blind Tesla fan boy cope 99% of the time.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I don't believe this was a strategic move at all, this was just a temper tantrum. That being said, this move will have the accidental consequence of weeding out anyone who isn't a true believer/sycophant from the rolls. You'd have to really believe in the company to put up with this BS as an employee.

Hopefully they keep the network expanding and keep it open to us all...

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
After reading the book "Elon Musk" by Walter Isaacson, I am inclined to believe it was a strategic move. He has done this sort of thing before. If he was not satisfied with the performance of the team, or not satisfied with how quickly they were responding to his direction for a drastic change in operation or organization, his method seems to be to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it like he wants it. He was obviously not happy with the way things were going with the Supercharger team.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
This reminds me of an old Henry Ford anecdote.
He hit the wrong button on an elevator while he was heading up to his office with his assistant by his side. The doors opened to the accounting floor.
He saw desk after desk of people not producing revenue, and fired the entire floor on the spot.

I’m sure most were rehired, but that story just makes me chuckle.
Remember, Henry Ford is remembered as a genius businessman

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
After reading the book "Elon Musk" by Walter Isaacson, I am inclined to believe it was a strategic move. He has done this sort of thing before. If he was not satisfied with the performance of the team, or not satisfied with how quickly they were responding to his direction for a drastic change in operation or organization, his method seems to be to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it like he wants it. He was obviously not happy with the way things were going with the Supercharger team.
It can be both strategic and stupid. The only way this wasn't a terrible decision is if the SC access to other manufacturers is tanking profits in some way. I don't see how the SC side of the business isn't poised for growth, and this is just messing with success in the worst way.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Nah, in the tech industry it is always what it looks like. Unfortunately John Galt is fictional. There are far too many immature guys who made a lot of money way to early, wear their hearts on their sleeves and put too much of their fortune up their noses. Although I don't know Musk's status in that regard, this is what it can look like if you have the misfortune to be working under one.

The unique thing about Musk is either the um, steadfastness of his supporters or the amount of time he spends on the internet defending himself. This whole incident looks to me to be about a guy getting rid of any credible competition to himself as CEO so he can be absolutely certain that the shareholder vote goes his way. We are possibly entering the "paranoia" stage of devolution.

Any business case for this move is wiped out by the fact that he is begging the employees to come back and promising to put $500 million into expansion.

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Nah, in the tech industry it is always what it looks like. Unfortunately John Galt is fictional. There are far too many immature guys who made a lot of money way to early, wear their hearts on their sleeves and put too much of their fortune up their noses. Although I don't know Musk's status in that regard, this is what it can look like if you have the misfortune to be working under one.

The unique thing about Musk is either the um, steadfastness of his supporters or the amount of time he spends on the internet defending himself. This whole incident looks to me to be about a guy getting rid of any credible competition to himself as CEO so he can be absolutely certain that the shareholder vote goes his way. We are possibly entering the "paranoia" stage of devolution.

Any business case for this move is wiped out by the fact that he is begging the employees to come back and promising to put $500 million into expansion.
I had written a much longer post but figured no one was going to read it all. I agree, I think he eliminated a natural replacement for CEO. The Tesla Board need to take action, if they even can.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
I have the A2Z adapter and have yet to need it and hoping to keep it that way. I'm in no hurry to give $$ to Tesla and wouild do so if the only other option was to push the truck in bad weather.
That's my feeling as well. I drove a Tesla Model S for the past 9 years, and while I loved the car, I just couldn't stand the company, or it's rabidly toxic fanbase. I had planned to keep that car 10 years, but I just couldn't do it and sold early to buy the Lightning. Despite the less efficient vehicle, and the loss of free supercharging, I expect to save thousands of dollars a year in maintenance over the Tesla (minimum $3000/year in maintenance after the warranty ran out, and I don't know if I actually ever had a year quite that cheap, there were 2 years over $10,000)
I'll use a Tesla supercharger if there are no other options, but between my feelings about the company, the people I'm likely to have to deal with at those chargers, and the highest price charging around, I'm unlikely to use them often.

Tedmister2

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue XLT Lightning
Occupation
Registered Nurse
This is his way of negotiating. Raze it and build again…

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I tend to agree with @Tedmister2

Build, test, rebuild and test again is his approach to space flight so it would make since that he would do the same in his other business endeavors.
Sponsored