• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Very curious what the deal is with level 2 charging. I am not quite sure about this but my understanding is that most of destination chargers belongs to the hotels and property owners and many of these have the switch flipped to Tesla only by default simply because property owner didn’t know it can be open to all EVs. So it is a crap shoot for non-Tesla EVs trying to use an adapter. Would Tesla get my tax money to have a property owner flip a switch on an existing Destination Charger they already paid for? Anyone knows how this is supposed to work?

Existing destination chargers are nothing more than the same WC many of us have at home. They come with either the Tesla plug or for some amount of time they were availble with a CCS plug.

The deals varied, but many if not most time, Tesla would provide the chargers free - so the host never paid for them. The host just had to have it installed and provide the power.

It could very well be true, but I've never heard of a switch in them that can be flipped for one or the other - maybe one with a Tesla plug could be prevented from having an adapter to CCS used. Not sure about this.

However, none of them are network connected and controlled. The latest version - v3 can be, but they aren't connected centrally in any way today for public charging.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Tesla to join several other auto companies in building new charging stations that will be accessible to all EV brands

The White House on Wednesday announced that Tesla, with the support of $7.5 billion in government subsidies, will open a portion of its U.S. Supercharger and Destination Charger network to non-Tesla EVs. Elon Musk's company, which operates the second-largest charging network in America behind ChargePoint, has agreed to make at least 7,500 chargers available for all EVs by the end of 2024 and to distribute those chargers across the United States.

Tesla will place at least 3,500 new and existing 250 kW Superchargers along highway corridors and Level 2 Destination Charging at locations like hotels and restaurants in urban and rural areas, the White House said.

the rest of the story.............
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...agrees-open-charging-network-white-house-says

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
What seems interesting is that Tesla without the government subsidies and the State of California, would have…not existed.

nevertheless, good news for everyone owning an EV. As per one of my posts, the current EA infrastructure sucks.

Tesla should buy them out and install Tesla designed stalls.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Just hoping for retrofits in very key areas where there isn't much CCS to go around. In Breezewood PA, Tesla put in 20 stalls in a Dunkin Donuts location. This is their second location in Breezewood, the other being an 8-stall in a Sheetz. The Sheetz was always slammed when I had my model 3. There are currently no EA or other branded DCFC in Breezewood. That location is my wish for any possible retrofit with CCS.

Otherwise major roads I travel, like 95, have EA all up and down them, along with some EVgo, Shell, etc. Adding a few Tesla locations to the mix will be incredible.
I saw those chargers at DD when heading east on I-70 through Breezewood. There were no cars there but it looked impressive.

Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
the common opinion is this will hurt tesla sales given that tesla supercharger network is far ahead of all the rest of the ev networks combined. But I think this actually will help tesla sales by showing how reliable tesla supercharger network works. lol

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I don't think it will hurt or help Tesla sales. People buying Tesla's already know the advantage. I think it will help sell other brands for people that are on the fence but know they would have trouble traveling because of poor charging networks. They now have a dependable network.

I also think Tesla won't ever convert 100% of a station. They will leave a dedicated amount for Tesla's to keep their owners happy.

I know there are a few EA stations with 6 to 8 chargers (many seem to be only 4) and they have a line once in a while, but Tesla's stations are rarely less than 8 chargers and many times, especially newer are 16 to 24 and as large as 48 stations. There is more than enough room.

Tesla's stations are manufactured in NY and come preconfigured in pods of 4. They can be dropped and installed anywhere you can get the power to them. Their infrastructure behind the changing is flawless and has been in use for many years. All they have to do is label every pod that allows CCS and configure that into an app/network that non Tesla owners will set up and add their payment info to.

We've seen a new potential method Tesla can have with the CCS station that appeared in CA. We also know they can retrofit existing stations with two wands - two cables per station. This was done overseas with the first conversions.

Tesla still has a few areas they need to add coverage, but most of the areas now just need more dense coverage. On the North side of Dallas, the growing and younger areas where Tesla's are on every corner had 3 chargers a year ago and two of those were closer to downtown, one in Plano. A year ago 7 of these Supercharges existed. Now up to 17 - 10 additional stations - likely 80 to 100 additional chargers in less than 12 months.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 8.49.59 PM

For DCFC - CCS style (EA Stations)- there are 4 - a total of 4 in the whole metro area - 2 of them fit into that same area.

Tesla owners may complain but they have nothing to worry about for Tesla to take a little government money and turn it into much more than EA pissed away.

I'll even go on record that if Tesla opens it up EA won't likely even exist in 5 years. Stations won't be used and they aren't kept up and they will be abandoned. If they have decent locations I could see Tesla buying them out and swapping out the hardware. EVGo or Chargepoint or some other company might be able to find the right investor to challenge that, but it is doubtful.

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
What I've noticed is the folks who use CCS chargers tend to be harder on the equipment, park their cars there and just leave, this doesn't really fly on the super chargers I've seen. They look well cared for by the users and the idle fee forces folks to move.

EA, in my opinion, needs to stop with this free crap - all it does is incentives people to use them when they don't need to and more importantly there is no ownership of the equipment. I went to three EA stations and 3 of them had the CCS lock broken off the handle - im sitting here like how is this even possible.
Difficult to care when you're stuck charging next to the dumpsters at Walmart-Mart or sitting in your truck while charging in front of some random gas station and the two meth heads outside keep making crazy eyes at you and and your wife... In about 45 days of ownership and over a dozen EA charge stops, I'd say my EA satisfaction level is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10.

I've detailed my EA charging thoughts in other threads. But EA has a lot to do in order to make their overall experience better. Aside from reliability and kW output, which have definitely been problematic, I find they tend to pick less desirable locations much of the time vs. nearby Tesla chargers.

Tesla opening up a chunk of their network is a good thing. This will put some pressure on others to do better. ...hopefully. I'm curious how the retrofit and Magic Dock will work and how well it will support a variety of vehicle configurations. I hope we don't need to bring an extension cord to use a Tesla charger with our Lightnings.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Anyone recall that GM got bailed out from bankruptcy? Let's not bash on Tesla for taking govt money, they ALL do it.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Difficult to care when you're stuck charging next to the dumpsters at Walmart-Mart or sitting in your truck while charging in front of some random gas station and the two meth heads outside keep making crazy eyes at you and and your wife... In about 45 days of ownership and over a dozen EA charge stops, I'd say my EA satisfaction level is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10.

I've detailed my EA charging thoughts in other threads. But EA has a lot to do in order to make their overall experience better. Aside from reliability and kW output, which have definitely been problematic, I find they tend to pick less desirable locations much of the time vs. nearby Tesla chargers.

Tesla opening up a chunk of their network is a good thing. This will put some pressure on others to do better. ...hopefully. I'm curious how the retrofit and Magic Dock will work and how well it will support a variety of vehicle configurations. I hope we don't need to bring an extension cord to use a Tesla charger with our Lightnings.
I have never charged next to dumpsters in close to 2 years.

The majority of the Tesla locations will be new, not retrofit.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I have never charged next to dumpsters in close to 2 years.
Really? I’m not going to say it’s common, but I’ve found 3 locations so far that are next to dumpsters. Two WalMarts and one convenience store.

Ogallala, NE WalMart has the EA chargers adjacent to dumpsters and recycling bins. It’s not so bad as it’s still in parking lot space in front of the store, across the aisle from the gas pumps. Trash truck guys actually stopped to check out my Lightning and the R1T charging that morning. Unfortunately these chargers were being difficult that day - I couldn’t get more than 37kW out of the chargers I tried. The ladies in their Rivian were having worse luck.

so far of the public charging I’ve used, I like the ChargePoint location choices the best. And they pick Locations fitting their 50kW output — typically by shopping, dining and hotels where people will take more time and 50kW is plenty good unless you’re in a hurry. I know they have stations with higher output, I just haven’t encountered any yet.

The majority of the Tesla locations will be new, not retrofit.
Makes the most sense. I’m guessing the existing locations that get opened to others will be mostly those due for upgrades anyway. Tesla will probably add open charging or install some new chargers at showcase locations like the charger complex in Kettleman City, CA.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla's track record related to following through on these promises to support DC fast charging of other manufacturers EVs is pretty bad. My recommendation is don't expect anything from Tesla and you won't be disappointed.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Ford will probably be buying out all Mach-E and Lightnings by the end of 2024 the way they are going….
Where did that come from?! How does an article on Tesla Superchargers prompt you to denigrate Ford EVs? Things will have to get really bad before I will sell my Lightning back to Ford.
Sponsored