• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles

OP
OP

WeedmanU

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023 ext.
Occupation
Cie owne
The values on this screen are certainly messed up. I've registered complaints about it!!

Don't expect any fixes until the next major update of FordPass.

Also, your snapshots demonstrate the deceptive increase when hitting the 80% value. Again, ignore all that. Rely on the true SOC, factor in the kWh available, then factor in your driving rate MPK to project your DTE.

If we can rely on the MPH and kWh available...

Why does Ford claim an exaggerated 330 MPH?

It's a complete lie.
Sponsored

OP
OP

WeedmanU

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023 ext.
Occupation
Cie owne
Care to expand on those "18 error codes"? Do you have a maintenance required icon on the instrument panel?

If you are looking for advice more information is better.
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240320_210417_BlueDriver

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240320_210345_BlueDriver
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240320_210352_BlueDriver

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240320_210358_BlueDriver
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240320_210409_BlueDriver

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

It's a complete lie.

MPH??????????????????????????????

Mile per Full Charge {100%} = 320 USA [550 KM Canadian]

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Agreed.
More junk information, if you DO NOT have a MIL LAMP on then there is no problem

{ malfunction indicator lamp }
Agreed. Modern vehicles glitch from time to time. The DTCs allow techs to troubleshoot in case it's not a glitch. @WeedmanU, clear the codes if you have the ability with your scanner and don't think too hard about it unless you have an issue that the truck tells you about.

I like nice vehicles. To pay for my nice vehicles I fly airplanes. Every modern airplane I have ever flown occasionally glitches in a similar manner to my Lightning. If it can't be replicated it's generally considered to be a glitch. There are exceptions, but that's the reality of using computers to control vehicles.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This was from my 2/29 NJ trip, at the end of the day it was chilly and I had fast charged it back to 85% at the local Tesla V3 station, billed by Tesla for 85 KWH

At 85% I had a projected range of only 228 miles, this value assumes 2.05 MPK (miles per kilowatt hour), I was running 2.0 on the instrument cluster after a 458 mile day.

2. MPK times 131 KWH fully charged battery, I might get as far as 262 miles, not the ideal 320 miles, the day was chilly low 30's, even with judicious use of heat I was still only getting about 82% of range compared to ideal conditions.

The lower half of the screen regarding my charging session indicated I received 85.6 KWH of energy and that increased my range by 183 miles, this implies a 2.14 MPK (a little optimistic) I've seen more exaggerated values of added range, do not use that as a measure of how far down the road you will actually go.

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711224312559-zq
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711225652520-pe

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Here are a couple screenshots from car scanner showing actual versus displayed SOC at very high battery charge levels from a week ago. The truck was charging at a Kia dealership while I took an EV9 for an overnight test drive. The EV9 12V failed or the car had an iccu failure and they had to tow it back (4 days later). At least it failed in my driveway, not while out with my wife. Even so, Kia is off the list (or on the shit list) of cars that she will ever purchase. It was really our roadside assistance experience with them that cemented our feelings.

Screenshot_20240317-125129.png
Screenshot_20240317-130905.png
I am now sitting on pins and needles wondering which fail I’ll get first, the lightning module issue or the Kia EV6 ICCU 12 V fail. Seems several of the Kia EV models are having an issue with their onboard charging unit. NTSHA just issued a safety recall for several Kia and Hyundai models including the EV6 and EV9.

So Ford is definitely not alone in this arena.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I am now sitting on pins and needles wondering which fail I’ll get first, the lightning module issue or the Kia EV6 ICCU 12 V fail. Seems several of the Kia EV models are having an issue with their onboard charging unit. NTSHA just issued a safety recall for several Kia and Hyundai models including the EV6 and EV9.

So Ford is definitely not alone in this arena.
I plugged in after driving home at 83 percent and the EV9 and my evse made happy charging sounds, then 30 seconds later more sounds and charging stopped with maybe 10Wh delivered. I tried 4 EVSEs (flo x2 mine and wife's, old clipper creek 20Amp unit and FCSP). Then I started getting 12V warnings and stop safely, electric system service required, lots of beeping. I know my lightning could do the same thing, but in 9k miles it hasn't and in 48 miles the EV9 gt-line did.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I plugged in after driving home at 83 percent and the EV9 and my evse made happy charging sounds, then 30 seconds later more sounds and charging stopped with maybe 10Wh delivered. I tried 4 EVSEs (flo x2 mine and wife's, old clipper creek 20Amp unit and FCSP). Then I started getting 12V warnings and stop safely, electric system service required, lots of beeping. I know my lightning could do the same thing, but in 9k miles it hasn't and in 48 miles the EV9 gt-line did.
It’s disappointing to see these ICCU failures with the KIA’s since it has been a known issue since the 2022 model came out. Seems KIA tried a CSP, but that program as apparently collapsed and now NHSTA has imposed a recall. Unfortunately, the letters and dealer fix isn’t coming until sometime in April.

🤞things hang together til then.

OP
OP

WeedmanU

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023 ext.
Occupation
Cie owne
MPH??????????????????????????????

Mile per Full Charge {100%} = 320 USA [550 KM Canadian]
Sry I have some trouble whit the conversion... bit here in Canada the claim is 515km. Around 26.5kwh/100

Sponsored
OP
OP

WeedmanU

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023 ext.
Occupation
Cie owne
Are you serious, or are you on Ford's payroll? 🤨

100k Canadian for that scrap... with 3 recalls in 5 months and with this load of scrap codes probably linked to inflation. 💸 #FordFail

That gives me confidence in the future... and the worst is that it's normal, I have more explanation on the situation here? nothing by Ford🤔 #WhatsTheDealFord

Another thing, if all is normal...

Sometimes My Weather on Sync locates me in Chicago... (I'm in Montreal, btw) 📍 #SyncFail

Whatever the charging station... my pickup doesn't take all the input... 🔌 #ChargingIssues
See the picks

But my MIL is ok ... so... good product A1.
Come on

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Screenshot_20240202_160103_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles Resized_Screenshot_20240202_160111_FLO_1706907999859

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Are you serious, or are you on Ford's payroll? 🤨
Whatever the charging station... my pickup doesn't take all the input... 🔌 #ChargingIssues
See the picks

Screenshot_20240202_160103_FordPass.jpg
Resized_Screenshot_20240202_160111_FLO_1706907999859.jpeg
No, I'm not an employee of the MoCo, I'm life long Ford customer who understands his truck, when my Lighting is charging on home AC, at 80 amp 240 volt service, it ~NEVER~ shows an energy input of 19.2 KW which is the theoretical value, no one has seen that value.

The reality is, that I'm pulling about 16 KW according to Fordpass, but in reality it's pulling around 18 KW, ie the App is off calibration displaying only 89% [16/18] of reality, and that reality is only 94% [18/19.2] of theoretical maximum energy flow, many of us have observed the same factors, nothing is broken, all is working fine.

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711250447191-9m
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711250756433-ld

Your values are in line though at the 30 amp x 240 volt, factor perfect energy flow would be 7.2 KW, you're seeing a 5 KW rate in Fordpass, while your Actuelle value is showing 6.3 KW, which is 88% of perfect, were you charging above 95% SOC?

The only time I've seen the rate slow down is when charging well above 95%, the last few percentage points of charging slows because the truck asks for a slower rate, the last 35 minutes it tapered as the SOC neared 100%

Notice, I'm promised only 299 OPTIMISTIC miles with a fully conditioned (warmed) battery not 320, this is due to frigid conditions.

Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711251371740-t1
Ford F-150 Lightning Waiting 5 months for module replacement / end with an update and less miles 1711251410794-k7

Finally, has the GPS system in your truck been confirmed to be accurately locating the true position?

There have been a rare few trucks with bad wiring, antenna connections and other component failures, get that checked out if your map system is grossly inaccurate .

Good Luck, I'm done.

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

It's a complete lie.
Because that's what it gets under the EPA testing. They don't claim it, it's what it gets in mixed-use testing. Drive it slow in stop and go traffic on a perfect 75F day with no climate use and you'll do well over that. Drive this brick on wheels into a headwind at 90mph in 30F ice storm with the the heat on full blast, and you're range will suffer. Gas cars have equally bad range estimates and "distance to empty" gauges. But people only seem to care when EVs come up short.

There is one thing I consider disingenuous. When you're below 80% SOC the range estimate uses your driving habits and predicts a reasonable range. When you charge over that at some point it reverts back to EPA estimated range. It should always use recent driving habits. But then people would complain it doesn't get back to 320 when you 100% charge.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
But then people would complain it doesn't get back to 320 when you 100% charge.
Complaints are exactly why Ford updated the guess-o-meter algorithm to revert to epa range at high SOC. It's frustrating that because people don't learn about their vehicles we have to deal with poor range estimates.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
But my MIL is ok ... so... good product A1.
Come on
Is the truck displaying a MIL or not? If it is there MAY be a problem. If it's not there almost certainly is not a problem. If you are using an OBD scanner or something else to find every passing DTC you are looking for problems that don't exist.

There are things that go wrong with these trucks. As far as I can tell your truck is performing normally. I understand there's a language barrier so it's possible there is something wrong that isn't being communicated. If you are really interested in learning about your truck I suggest toning down the incredulousness.
Sponsored