• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wave 3 Feb 3rd ~ XLT SR

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
Tesla Model S Goes 752 Miles with a Prototype Battery from a Michigan StartupTesla After market Battery upgrade

This is why i'd be happy to settle for a SR F150 if I felt comfortable it was likely upgradable and not so awkwardly designed that no other battery would work with it's electrical system. My fear would be finding out it's internal electrical system or ford computer wouldn't communicate properly with the battery to manage its charging and capacity.
Akwardly designed or intentionally designed to be obsolete?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford's limited supply of Pro models is contrived and anti-consumer since they could easily plan to make as many trucks as they like of any model. They are only limiting Pro model production in order to manipulate the market and screw over reservation holders and force them to spend more for less return.
Why is this a surprise? Businesses exist to extract the maximum about of money from their customers at the lowest possible cost (to maximize profit). Publicly traded corporations even have a legal obligation to do this as it benefits their shareholders.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Why is this a surprise? Businesses exist to extract the maximum about of money from their customers at the lowest possible cost (to maximize profit). Publicly traded corporations even have a legal obligation to do this as it benefits their shareholders.
It's like a Black Friday deal where you know they'll only have 1 of the 500$ 80 inch tvs'

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
I think longterm (20 years) this first gen will be desirable by being the simplest to repair and upgrade down the road. I mean parts sharing with a vehicle they make 900k of a year and the potential ability to fit in future improved batteries between the frame rails is ideal. If the second gen goes unibody like more modern cars it limits customizability and future modding.
I agree. This will be the only factory EV with the "classic" F150 body-on-frame body style. There will be plenty of ICE f150s retrofitted with Ford crate electric motors in the future, but the 22-24 F150L will be the only factory "conversion."
I think they used plenty of existing parts inventory to cuts costs as much as possible. For instance, I'm wondering if the front suspension uses all the same mount points (even if the components have different ratings because of the higher weight). If so, you could buy a standard gen14 leveling kit for the front for off-road tires all around.

Sponsored

ChrisInJAX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Escape
It's like a Black Friday deal where you know they'll only have 1 of the 500$ 80 inch tvs'
Don't you miss the days of camping in line at Best Buy at 3am only for the person in line to get the last voucher/certificate to purchase that doorbuster deal?! I always had the worst luck.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Just got notice I'm in Wave 3 :D

Was this posted already?

I suspect a lot of the issue with towing is that typically it's the trailer brakes that do the primary braking, which would necessarily limit the regenerative braking.

Some of this brake bias can be addressed via software update but it can't shift too much to the tow vehicle's brakes without impacting safety.

Also, I tend to get better regeneration when I'm manually applying the brakes compared to when I'm running in cruise control on all my EVs. Is that the same for some of you in here with EVs?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Uh oh, Jerry's got a bee in his bonnet...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It definitely seems like something was weird on the regen braking on the way down. Only 2%/3kWh gain for a steep 8 mile downhill, with an extra 8100lbs, sounds way off. They used 16% going up the same stretch so the regen value should be close to 16%. It may have been overwhelming the regen capacity.

Overall, it still wasn't terrible, though. If I understand everything correctly they used 155-160 kWh to go ~165mi. Just a bit over 1 mi/kWh and they were at 40F so they lost a little range for temp. Maybe 1.1mi/kWh under ideal conditions, so they lost a bit more than half the efficiency for a very grueling tow test. If they had been able to get that regen power back on the downhill they would have been at more like 1.3 mi/kWh vs 2.3 for EPA, so about a 45% loss vs EPA range. It would have been very close but they may have been able to do the whole loop without a charge if they had gotten full regen.

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
Unless you you are in good with someone at your dealership or have a good old boy connection with someone at Ford, it doesnt really matter since the corrupt and criminal system Ford has engineered does not honor your reservation place in line.
What about the good old girls??Did that network exist??

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
?

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
It was available when I went in (but didn't purchase it)
Sponsored