• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why is everyone waiting to get their truck?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
The price Ford promised when a reservation was made in May 2021, or the price Ford has now? That's a huge difference. Right now there are 22's out there being sold off lots at original sticker price.
The price you pay is supposed to be locked in on day you converted your reservation to an order. Unfortunately if you order a 23, the prices are higher and options are different.

I’m sure there are 22s out there from cancelled orders. The trick is finding an honest dealer who isn’t marking up the price.

Forums like this are a great place for people to let people know where to find one. So far, I don’t recall seeing anyone post a specific dealership that has any 22 inventory at MSRP.
Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Every single lightning on the Tasca site is a special order ( or window sticker not available ) … So this means they have 10 customers walking away from special orders or these trucks aren’t (all) for sale.

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
I am not affiliated with Tasca I live in RI and that’s where I got my truck. I probably paid more than I should have but when I was in the market reservations were closed. I didn’t know and have never heard of dealers placing “fake” orders but I could see how that could happen or would happen. Tasca is a well known racing family here in RI.
The price you pay is supposed to be locked in on day you converted your reservation to an order. Unfortunately if you order a 23, the prices are higher and options are different.

I’m sure there are 22s out there from cancelled orders. The trick is finding an honest dealer who isn’t marking up the price.

Forums like this are a great place for people to let people know where to find one. So far, I don’t recall seeing anyone post a specific dealership that has any 22 inventory at MSRP.
I have read several reports here and on Reddit of people finding 22's on lots that they purchased for msrp. I wasn't as lucky as them but I found my 22' Pro mannequin (75m on the odom) for msrp+3k back in January. I also got the $7500 rebate.
I am an hour one 5/19/21 reservation holder and got invited to order last October after all the price hikes came into effect. They priced me $12+K over my budget until I found this Pro still well within my budget even with the $3k adm.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Every single lightning on the Tasca site is a special order ( or window sticker not available ) … So this means they have 10 customers walking away from special orders or these trucks aren’t (all) for sale.
Interesting, when I check via the Mass affiliate dealership, only four Yonkers NY trucks are coming up
Two dealer spec trucks MY2022
https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTVW1EL2NWG15392
https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FT6W1EV8NWG00594

Two Special Orders: MY2023
https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FT6W1EV5PWG08736
https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTVW1EV9PWG07293

Garyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV 6 2023 Ford Lighting Pro
I have read several reports here and on Reddit of people finding 22's on lots that they purchased for msrp. I wasn't as lucky as them but I found my 22' Pro mannequin (75m on the odom) for msrp+3k back in January. I also got the $7500 rebate.
I am an hour one 5/19/21 reservation holder and got invited to order last October after all the price hikes came into effect. They priced me $12+K over my budget until I found this Pro still well within my budget even with the $3k adm.
That’s interesting that the “private offer” was available on any pro model, not just the one you ordered. I guess I never asked but just assumed the offer was only valid on the ordered truck

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
There were an awful lot of people on here talking about flipping trucks a year ago. I do wonder what percentage of reservations were people who planned to flip? These people almost all are walking away now, so perhaps it is more believable there is stock building up.

Maybe a larger non-refundable deposit makes more sense, to help ensure people ordering are actually buying? I'm at fault too, I basically have one of every EV coming out reserved. I intend to buy one or two of them, but there's no incentive not to reserve. In the future, I'll be a guy walking away from a vehicle too.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Other than getting the exact options you want are there other reasons you're waiting for a truck? Tasca.com has 10 of them listed right now. There must be other dealers that have them in stock. I know Tasca has some special relationship with Ford but they can't be the only dealer that has them.
Tasca Ford in Berlin, CT is my closest dealer. If you call about ADM now they'll say there isn't one but will levy it at POS. They wanted $5K on my original reservation. Both them and Gengras have been playing games with Pro reservation holders on delivery causing them to walk from their respective* sales. Look how many special order stickers they have in extended inventory. Scumbags.

*fixed typo

Last edited:

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
The Lightning is supposed to be sold by reservation only and dealers aren't supposed to be able to order them for inventory.

In a perfect world, that would mean people who ordered one should get them before any extras are sent for inventory.

That said, some dealers take advantage of this by basically placing orders from fake customers, then claiming the customer changed their mind and cancelled the order at the last minute or couldn't secure financing.

This gives them a potential inventory that they can use to mark up the prices above list. My local dealer sold a lot of their trucks that way. To avoid the perception of them "asking" above list, they simply spread the word about the truck the available truck, then sit back as the customers offer increasingly higher bids to buy it as the sales rep sits by and takes the order from the highest bidder.

So, most of us are not willing to participate in a bidding war to get the trucks we ordered. I could've gotten mine a couple of months earlier if I did, but I was willing to get my truck for the price Ford promised.

One key advantage of sticking with the order system is that Ford will let you literally close the deal, including the financing online, where the price is the one they promised.
Seems like a shady dealer. IMO

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Seems like a shady dealer. IMO
Thanks to this forum, we have a list of dealers who do and don't charge above list price.

One thing I've learned is that among those who do not charge above list, there is rarely any inventory available for walk-ins because they already have a list of customers waiting for such an opportunity, so you won't see them on a lot.

MannyG20

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘11 F-150
No price protection for a Day 1 reservation, desired trim not available when I was invited to order, production issues concern me, and finally the EV market as a whole is undergoing changes and increased options so I don’t feel any need to rush my order.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Most of what is available at dealers are lariat trim. $85k is way way over my budget. The pro that I have seen listed are white with no options and listed at $60k. XLT seem to be almost more rare than pro.

I'll wait for my custom built truck that's a color I like and has both towing packages. Even if it is missing a few options.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
I've never factory ordered before, so this a new and excruciating ordeal for me as mine is one that is "hold in transit". I want my truck the way I ordered it! 🤞 I see it by Easter.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
There were an awful lot of people on here talking about flipping trucks a year ago. I do wonder what percentage of reservations were people who planned to flip? These people almost all are walking away now, so perhaps it is more believable there is stock building up.

Maybe a larger non-refundable deposit makes more sense, to help ensure people ordering are actually buying? I'm at fault too, I basically have one of every EV coming out reserved. I intend to buy one or two of them, but there's no incentive not to reserve. In the future, I'll be a guy walking away from a vehicle too.
When I placed my order way back in Sept. my dealer had me sign a 6 month "No Resale" contract. This might be one of the reasons my dealer also has 13 Lariats on their lot.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
I found a 2023 Antimatter Blue Lightning Lariat ER at 2k+ below MSRP and pulled the trigger.

My reservation was for an Antimatter Blue Lariat SR with the additional of the extra cooling for tow rating increase and a 9.6kW Pro Power onboard because I might one day want to have my lightning power my house. That kept my reservation under the 80k cap(barely), but the new tax rules on income were going to screw me. Thus the change of heart.

For the extra $6500 I got:
ER Battery (yes please)
Ford Charge Station Pro (would have eventually needed it - $1300)
Moonroof (yes please)
Tow tech package (I don't need it, I can back a trailer)
Blue Cruise (meh - its cool and works but isn't it a subscription?)
PaaK (awesome)
Dealer threw in spray in liner (I was going to do this myself, so yea! - $750)

By purchasing the one available I also got the vehicle March 1 versus the anticipated production start of mid April, meaning I get the vehicle end of May or thereabouts. If the stars align.

I want to give credit to Five Star Ford Stone Mountain (Georgia) for honoring the internet price listed and Gwinnett Place Ford in Duluth (Georgia) for refunding my deposit and reservation. That was money I never really expected to get back.

Five Star Stone Mountain's got a gray Lariat high on the lot now for the same price I paid for mine. Gwinnett Place Ford will have a Antimatter Blue Lariat low available sometime in May.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Five Star Stone Mountain's got a gray Lariat high on the lot now for the same price I paid for mine. Gwinnett Place Ford will have a Antimatter Blue Lariat low available sometime in May.

Congrat's on your deal!!!

BTW, Lariat-ER & Lariat-SR is the common terminology for these models
Sponsored