• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

240 V BED OUTLET-WHAT CAN IT BE USED FOR

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I know the 240V bed outlet can be used for vehicle to vehicle charging, but what else can it be used for. I do not have anything to plug into a 240V outlet.

How do you intend to take advantage of this outlet?
Sponsored

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
thanks, good to know. I plan on camping and cooking also and didn't realize there were some 240v options. I think I found that 240v induction top on Amazon, but the plug is a different one. is that red thing in your photo a plug adapter?

Last edited:

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I have a ton of woodworking tools that run on 240 but they’re all so damn heavy I can’t imagine I’ll ever use the truck to power them.

It should be able to run some small welders though. Hell, you could even use it to run a tiny house if you had a property you didn’t want to pay to run power to

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Using a Generac 6852 to provide 30amps to the house.
Same here. While the home integration system gets all the press, the 240v 30A outlet + transfer switch is still very capable and is a much more affordable option to power your house.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Most of the 240VAC generators are nice clean sine wave and usually near 60HZ. Not sure I've read if the bed outlet is pure sine or not yet.
I assume that you can use that power to substitute for almost any generator function. Building site uses, RV and such. Although almost no RV is actually 240V so you'd have to be sure you don't unbalance too far.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
From Owners Manual
Neutral Bonded
The neutral of the inverter generator is bonded to system ground. Connecting loads that also have neutral bonded to ground causes the ground fault detection to trip.

My panel has two grounds and neutral from utility all electrically connected through the panel box. I’m not too hopeful I can use Lightning to power home.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
240V welders MIG/TIG

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
From Owners Manual
Neutral Bonded
The neutral of the inverter generator is bonded to system ground. Connecting loads that also have neutral bonded to ground causes the ground fault detection to trip.

My panel has two grounds and neutral from utility all electrically connected through the panel box. I’m not too hopeful I can use Lightning to power home.
Generac homelink transfer switch/sub panel is what you need. The sub panel isolates the neutral from ground so you can use it with generators with bonded neutrals (like the lightning). Way cheaper than the ford house backup system too.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the 240v 30amp outlet at the rear of the truck, if you have the 9.6kw PRO POWER OnBoard option, will provide many more power options for appliances, devices, tools, or anything that can not only use 240v power, but also a larger 30amp outlet, such as the typical RV Camper. With the correct ADAPTER, you can use this for many, many other power needs.

If you take your camper to a 'dry' campsite, with no power available, you can use an adapter and plug in your CAMPER to the truck bed's 240v 30amp outlet, for FULL 30amp 120v power to the Camper.
While the outlet is 240v and the camper is only 120v, the ADAPTER does the work to make that possible, using only one 'side' of the truck's 240v power. Now you can easily power your AIR CONDITIONER in the camper, cook something in the microwave, etc.., just like you would at a full power campground.

There are even adapters that 'Y' the 240v power to TWO 30amp outlets, where you could plug in not only YOUR camper, but your neighbor's, too : )

240v power is not necessary for most of us on a regular basis, but it sure does come in handy and provide a LOT more options when needed - just ask anyone in the construction business.

The truck's 240v 30amp outlet equates to the same AMPERAGE as a combined THREE of the 'normal' 20amp 120v outlets. That's enough to power most homes regular everyday 'needs' - up to 60 AMPS.
While most homes might now have 200amp panels, the reality is that you are NEVER using 200amps, but MUCH MUCH less on a regular basis.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Could use one of these to consolidate & convert from 240 to 120, as a simple run to your camp site or what ever type of operation you will be doing.

Ford F-150 Lightning 240 V BED OUTLET-WHAT CAN IT BE USED FOR 1651876077432

In my case, power several items in and near my race pit and trailer, OTOH I might do some comprehensive wiring in the trailer, all connected to a simple load center with a 30 amp external connection at the front of my trailer and in easy reach to the truck bed 240v outlet.

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
I live in an off-grid house and in the winter we use a gas generator to top up the batteries when the sun doesn't shine. I actually plan to use the truck to charge my house batteries from time to time. My father also has a large planer and jointer that he'd like me to take and they require a bit more juice than my home inverter can provide, but I think the truck will power them just fine.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
the 240v 30amp outlet at the rear of the truck, if you have the 9.6kw PRO POWER OnBoard option, will provide many more power options for appliances, devices, tools, or anything that can not only use 240v power, but also a larger 30amp outlet, such as the typical RV Camper. With the correct ADAPTER, you can use this for many, many other power needs.

If you take your camper to a 'dry' campsite, with no power available, you can use an adapter and plug in your CAMPER to the truck bed's 240v 30amp outlet, for FULL 30amp 120v power to the Camper.
While the outlet is 240v and the camper is only 120v, the ADAPTER does the work to make that possible, using only one 'side' of the truck's 240v power. Now you can easily power your AIR CONDITIONER in the camper, cook something in the microwave, etc.., just like you would at a full power campground.

There are even adapters that 'Y' the 240v power to TWO 30amp outlets, where you could plug in not only YOUR camper, but your neighbor's, too : )

240v power is not necessary for most of us on a regular basis, but it sure does come in handy and provide a LOT more options when needed - just ask anyone in the construction business.

The truck's 240v 30amp outlet equates to the same AMPERAGE as a combined THREE of the 'normal' 20amp 120v outlets. That's enough to power most homes regular everyday 'needs' - up to 60 AMPS.
While most homes might now have 200amp panels, the reality is that you are NEVER using 200amps, but MUCH MUCH less on a regular basis.
This is exactly how I'll use it with another twist. I will use the 50amp outlets at campsites to charge my lightning. Then use the bed 240 outlet with the adapter to supply power to my 30 amp camper.

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I live in an off-grid house and in the winter we use a gas generator to top up the batteries when the sun doesn't shine. I actually plan to use the truck to charge my house batteries from time to time. My father also has a large planer and jointer that he'd like me to take and they require a bit more juice than my home inverter can provide, but I think the truck will power them just fine.
truck should work fine for them. I run a 3hp planer and a 3hp dust collector on a single 30 amp circuit, have never tripped. Unless he’s giving you truly massive machine, you’ll be fine
Sponsored