• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

240V charger blowing breaker

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
This is technically true: breakers trip while fuses blow (they melt or fuse, but the common term was blow).

Old habits die hard, so when breakers started becoming more common in homes over fuses, people continued to say "blow" when a breaker would trip.

After all, how many of us say, "dial" when placing a phone call?

BUT we all make "Carbon Copies" of our emails so take that new fangled technology!
Sponsored

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I have been charging my f150 at home on a 240v charger for 1 year and never a problem.

yesterday I used a DC fast charging station for the 1st time ever.

now when at home my 240 charger is blowing my breaker in 5 min

is there any coincidence that this is now happening after I used DC for 1st time ever?
Had similar issue tightened outlet wires like only a USAF Mechanical gorilla can problem vanished

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
I don’t mean to get too geeky or technical here, but, is there any chance you’re having additional demand from some other appliance or use in the house (hot tub, heater, oven, furnace, etc.) which accidentally happened to coincide with your visit to the Electrify America station? Just a thought.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
Ok. Here is the update..

1. I spent time with Ford today to troubleshoot the SW issue I was having with my charge assist app button not working.
2. Did soft reboot of vehicle and it did not immediately fix the SW error issue
3. As I was pulling into the garage it worked for a second see attached.
4. the. I got same error again after
5. Electrician came over and checked the circuit breakers and amp flow pulling from the vehicle (was pulling little over 30) so all good and didn’t trip the breaker
6. So now the hypothesis, did the sw soft reboot to fix the charge assist app actually fix something else that was causing my vehicle to pull more amps (like it was thinking it was still at a DC fast charger (like ev go) and the SW rest “reset” to acknowledge it was now only pulling from the Ford Mobile charger on 240v
7. Will we ever know without any vehicle logs?
8 and yes to the previous post I was smart enough not to have any other appliances or high amp things running. 🙏
9. So now have to call Fors again to see if they can still fix my other issue which is the error message and charge assist app not working. It’s now blank with no error.

Ford F-150 Lightning 240V charger blowing breaker IMG_2504

Ford F-150 Lightning 240V charger blowing breaker IMG_2492

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
6. So now the hypothesis, did the sw soft reboot to fix the charge assist app actually fix something else that was causing my vehicle to pull more amps (like it was thinking it was still at a DC fast charger (like ev go) and the SW rest “reset” to acknowledge it was now only pulling from the Ford Mobile charger on 240v
The two charging rates are not connected. Level 2 AC charging is done with the truck's onboard AC to DC charger. DC fast charging is controlled by the external DC fast charger regulating the rate. It's impossible for to have anything to do with the other.

That being said, if the truck's level 2 onboard AC charger was confused about something (super technical explanation), and was attempting to pull more than it should through your mobile charging cable, that would explain a great many things.

If rebooting the truck made the problem go away, and the electrician confirmed everything appears secure and working as intended, sounds like problem solved.

Sponsored

myke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
MikeGeiger.ca
Vehicles
'23 XLT ER, '14 FJ Cruiser 6MT
Occupation
IT/Networking/ISP/OSP Consultant
Could be low supply voltage; that’d drag the current up.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Could be low supply voltage; that’d drag the current up.
AC charging is current-controlled. Voltage variations don’t matter.

pritish

First Name
Pritish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I did not see if Big J is using the mobile charger or the Charge Station Pro.

For Mobile Charger, it is rated for 30 amp so it ideally should be on a 50amp circuit (which you already have).

If you are using Charge Station Pro, then there is a very simple solution to this. The problem is that you have the Charge Station Pro which is rated for 80Amps on a circuit that is 50Amps. To limit the charging, there are two things that can be done to limit

1. Software: Go into the Ford software and set the amps to 40amps max charge. FordPass -> Account -> Charge Station -> Settings and set "Max Charge Current" to 40amps. This is software controlled so anytime you connect to the Charge Station Pro (assuming that it is connected to your WiFi), the current will be limited to 40 amps and you won't trip.

2. Hardware: Turn off the breakers and then open up the Charge Station Pro cover. Looking at the circuit board, there is a tiny dial that has the amp settings on it - bring it down to 40 amps. Note: after you do this, there will be an amber light that shows up - it indicates that the charging is happening at slower rate. You will find the information on max current setting on Page 15 of the Charge Station Pro manual.

https://content.fordpro.com/content...ord-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
1. Software: Go into the Ford software and set the amps to 40amps max charge. FordPass -> Account -> Charge Station -> Settings and set "Max Charge Current" to 40amps.
The Fordpass app is extremely unreliable in limiting the current rate, tested it last night for follow-up on another thread.

ONLY use option two noted above to limit the hardware current draw if the FCSP is installed on a limited capacity circuit.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
2. Hardware: Turn off the breakers and then open up the Charge Station Pro cover. Looking at the circuit board, there is a tiny dial that has the amp settings on it - bring it down to 40 amps. Note: after you do this, there will be an amber light that shows up - it indicates that the charging is happening at slower rate. You will find the information on max current setting on Page 15 of the Charge Station Pro manual.

https://content.fordpro.com/content...ord-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf
I didn't know that manually dialing it back to a lower setting triggered the amber light...thanks for inadvertently educating me!

My Lightning was charging plenty fast (I average between 22 and 27 miles of range an hour at the reduced setting), but occasionally I see the amber light and was wondering what was going on. The Ford Charge Station Pro app has not worked right since about a week after initial setup, so I figured it was related to that. Or maybe related to the reduced charging rate once I achieved more than 80% charge... I charge to 90% when I bother to plug it in.

Nice to know the system might actually be working as intended, and probably won't be burning my house down. (y)

Sponsored

pritish

First Name
Pritish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Page 18 of the manual indicates all the LED statuses and what they mean. Even some of the service engineers do not know this. I have had to figure out a lot of things myself :(

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
I did not see if Big J is using the mobile charger or the Charge Station Pro.

For Mobile Charger, it is rated for 30 amp so it ideally should be on a 50amp circuit (which you already have).

If you are using Charge Station Pro, then there is a very simple solution to this. The problem is that you have the Charge Station Pro which is rated for 80Amps on a circuit that is 50Amps. To limit the charging, there are two things that can be done to limit

1. Software: Go into the Ford software and set the amps to 40amps max charge. FordPass -> Account -> Charge Station -> Settings and set "Max Charge Current" to 40amps. This is software controlled so anytime you connect to the Charge Station Pro (assuming that it is connected to your WiFi), the current will be limited to 40 amps and you won't trip.

Good to know thanks. I only use the mobile charger give. I can’t upgrade my service to the house. Much appreciated.
Sponsored