• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone planning to grab the Icon lowering kit?

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Anyone thinking about grabbing it? Is very expensive and untested, but looks like it could be a pretty good performance piece. Wondering if anyone has purchased it already, installed it, or waiting for it to arrive?
Sponsored

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well. I bought it. Hopefully coming in soon. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Following, I'm curious how it turns out for you.
How many inches lower do you expect to be when installed?

I'm curious, as my wife has difficulty hopping into our Lightning.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Following, I'm curious how it turns out for you.
How many inches lower do you expect to be when installed?

I'm curious, as my wife has difficulty hopping into our Lightning.
Interesting fact, Ford artificially made the ride height on the lightning much higher to avoid potential damage to the batteries and motors during offroading. It is actually higher than a stock F150. I am going to drop it 2 inches in the front and three in the back, that will give me 1 inch of rake in the back but lower it overall substantially.

As I do a lot of highway driving and not a lot of offroading, and this is an electric vehicle, it just makes sense to make it more slippery.

guys who buy a Ford lightning just to jack it up make no sense to me

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Interesting fact, Ford artificially made the ride height on the lightning much higher to avoid potential damage to the batteries and motors during offroading. It is actually higher than a stock F150. I am going to drop it 2 inches in the front and three in the back, that will give me 1 inch of rake in the back but lower it overall substantially.

As I do a lot of highway driving and not a lot of offroading, and this is an electric vehicle, it just makes sense to make it more slippery.

guys who buy a Ford lightning just to jack it up make no sense to me
This is the look I'd like to go for.
I'll follow your beta experience for sure.

Sponsored

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
Not sure I want to mess with this. Looks really good but it forces the drive shafts to run continually at an angle which can’t be good long term for the shafts, joints, and seals on the motor side. If there was a way to keep all of that in a straight and level condition I would take a second look for sure. Just add spacers to the motors and raise them an inch or 2 is the only way i can see that happening.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure I want to mess with this. Looks really good but it forces the drive shafts to run continually at an angle which can’t be good long term for the shafts, joints, and seals on the motor side. If there was a way to keep all of that in a straight and level condition I would take a second look for sure. Just add spacers to the motors and raise them an inch or 2 is the only way i can see that happening.
not at all. The suspension is designed to keep the motors at an ideal angle under the entire range. That's why there's camber with load. Since the axles are double ended CV shafts, it'll be just fine. If anything, lowering reduces the CV drive angle and puts them straight, which is ideal.

Voxx23

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Boss guy
following...

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well. I bought it. Hopefully coming in soon. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Any update yet? I'm considering this kit. With install it's going to be about $8000, so I want to see what the results are.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any update yet? I'm considering this kit. With install it's going to be about $8000, so I want to see what the results are.
oh man. Should have gotten the Black Friday $5800 deal. Mine installed is ~$6900.

Icon said 4–6 week delivery time. It's going directly to the suspension shop so probably sometime after the first of the year.

Sponsored

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
oh man. Should have gotten the Black Friday $5800 deal. Mine installed is ~$6900.

Icon said 4–6 week delivery time. It's going directly to the suspension shop so probably sometime after the first of the year.
Yeah, I could probably get it a little cheaper. The installer quoted me $6800 for the kit, but it's listed online right now for $6100. So I might be able to get knocked down some.

My biggest hang up is the wheel and tire combo. I like the VR601s that you have, just not a fan of the bronze color. I really like the carbon graphite version, but they all show sold out, so I may go with black. But the carbon graphite looks like it would really match my carbonized gray lightning. But I really want to have an even gap between the tire and fender. But not sure what I need to do to ensure that.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I could probably get it a little cheaper. The installer quoted me $6800 for the kit, but it's listed online right now for $6100. So I might be able to get knocked down some.

My biggest hang up is the wheel and tire combo. I like the VR601s that you have, just not a fan of the bronze color. I really like the carbon graphite version, but they all show sold out, so I may go with black. But the carbon graphite looks like it would really match my carbonized gray lightning. But I really want to have an even gap between the tire and fender. But not sure what I need to do to ensure that.
Those wheels are the right specs for what icon recommends.

Vorsteiner doesn't make the black vr601s anymore.

you'll have to go 602s

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hmmm. Well there ya go. They told me they discontinued them. I'd get them, they are great wheels
Welp, tried to check out and it changed my 4 wheels to the available 1 wheel. lol. Guess that won't be an option.
Sponsored