• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery went from 7% to 0 and left me stranded 6 miles from charger.

First Name
Torrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
On a road trip to New Mexico, driving from Pueblo, CO to Wagon Mound, NM, all was going great. There was a brisk head wind so my efficiency was pretty bad, but by all indications I was going to make it to my charger with some range to spare. Then, all of a sudden, at 7% battery with 6 miles to the charger, the battery dropped to 0% and we were stranded. Had to call a tow truck which took over two hours and cost $250 to take us to the charger. I’m quite confused as to why the SOC dropped as if the BMS had been wrong. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I like your screen name, my family has some Ystone-front land in Miner, right on the other side of the (currently missing) Carbella bridge from the highway, live anywhere near there? Beautiful area out there in the Paradise Valley.

Shame that happened to you, definitely following this thread and hope you get answers!

Cheers
-Zap

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Okay. Strangely a very similar thing just happened to me TODAY driving home from work (work is 200 miles from home). Exited the freeway and slowed to a stop with 6%soc and at about 85% power. Suddenly while sitting at the light the power meter began dropping 80-65-40-15-13-2 pressing the accelerator did nothing. Threw on the hazards, shut the truck off and back on. Back to 85% power I drive thru the intersection and it again tapers back to 2% power and I lose all throttle response. Get it towed 1 mile home. Plug it in and now there seems to be no issue. I’ve taken the truck to 8-10% soc several times over the past two years without issue. Guess anything less than 5% soc is a no go 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
YellowstoneLightning
First Name
Torrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like your screen name, my family has some Ystone-front land in Miner, right on the other side of the (currently missing) Carbella bridge from the highway, live anywhere near there? Beautiful area out there in the Paradise Valley.

Shame that happened to you, definitely following this thread and hope you get answers!

Cheers
-Zap
Hey Zap,
Yep, I’m quite familiar with that area. I live just up the road in Livingston!

Sponsored
OP
OP
YellowstoneLightning
First Name
Torrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Okay. Strangely a very similar thing just happened to me TODAY driving home from work (work is 200 miles from home). Exited the freeway and slowed to a stop with 6%soc and at about 85% power. Suddenly while sitting at the light the power meter began dropping 80-65-40-15-13-2 pressing the accelerator did nothing. Threw on the hazards, shut the truck off and back on. Back to 85% power I drive thru the intersection and it again tapers back to 2% power and I lose all throttle response. Get it towed 1 mile home. Plug it in and now there seems to be no issue. I’ve taken the truck to 8-10% soc several times over the past two years without issue. Guess anything less than 5% soc is a no go 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s exactly what was happening to me. I don’t know if it’s related, but the navigation software wasn’t working well yesterday or today. Yesterday, however, we pulled into a charging stop at 7% and nothing like this happened. I was starting to get comfortable pushing it between stops, but this six hour endeavor is definitely going to have me being a lot more conservative for some time. Thanks for sharing your experience.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe just a software glitch? But I agree. I’m a little hesitant to push it past 10%. But 2 years and 55k miles without incident until today

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If by navigation, you’re referring to Apple Maps, mine acted up too. Giving bizarre charge levels on arrival. Mmmm are we on to something?

OP
OP
YellowstoneLightning
First Name
Torrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was mostly having trouble with the native ford navigation yesterday, thinking the destinations were 10 hrs away when they were two hours away.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
On a road trip to New Mexico, driving from Pueblo, CO to Wagon Mound, NM, all was going great. There was a brisk head wind so my efficiency was pretty bad, but by all indications I was going to make it to my charger with some range to spare. Then, all of a sudden, at 7% battery with 6 miles to the charger, the battery dropped to 0% and we were stranded. Had to call a tow truck which took over two hours and cost $250 to take us to the charger. I’m quite confused as to why the SOC dropped as if the BMS had been wrong. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
It’s a BMS problem. The truck struggles with repeated charging / road tripping. It’s not a consistent thing, which makes it even worse.

The Out Of Spec guys had this happen to them twice as well when road tripping. Ford confirmed the BMS issue. The truck needs a resting period (IIRC 20-30min before charging) for the BMS to be accurate again.

I used to run mine down to 1-2%, but I’ve had this happen to me and now I don’t go under 10%….I also stopped taking my truck on long trips (500mi+), which sucks because it’s so such a perfect vehicle for it.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It’s a BMS problem. The truck struggles with repeated charging / road tripping. It’s not a consistent thing, which makes it even worse.

The Out Of Spec guys had this happen to them twice as well when road tripping. Ford confirmed the BMS issue. The truck needs a resting period (IIRC 20-30min before charging) for the BMS to be accurate again.

I used to run mine down to 1-2%, but I’ve had this happen to me and now I don’t go under 10%….I also stopped taking my truck on long trips (500mi+), which sucks because it’s so such a perfect vehicle for it.
I was going to post the same about Out Of Spec having an issue. Do other electric vehicles have this issue? If not then Ford needs to fix this on their end.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired

I used to run mine down to 1-2%, but I’ve had this happen to me and now I don’t go under 10%….I also
stopped taking my truck on long trips (500mi+), which sucks because it’s so such a perfect vehicle for it.
Struggles with repeated charging.
Truck needs a thirty minute resting period.
Stopped taking truck on long trips.
To finicky to get to far from home?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I was going to post the same about Out Of Spec having an issue. Do other electric vehicles have this issue? If not then Ford needs to fix this on their end.
This is the only EV I have ever had issues with. Owned over a dozen, over a million miles on EVs and I have never run out of juice except on the Lightning.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Struggles with repeated charging.
Truck needs a thirty minute resting period.
Stopped taking truck on long trips.
To finicky to get to far from home?
I wouldn’t go that far…I’ve done plenty of road trips with the Lightning. It’s a phenomenal long distance truck. The most I’ve done is 1200 miles in the span of 48 hours.

I would not hesitate to do that trip again.

I would just do it differently. Instead of running it to less than 5% I would stop between 10-15% to charge. Unfortunately on a long trip like that it adds a good amount of time, which is my primary reason for no longer taking it.

As long as you stop before going under 10%, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, and I’m not sure a lot of folks push it as close as I do.

For reference, just a couple weeks ago I drove my Model X for 18 miles AFTER it hit 0% and 0mi remaining. I stopped after 18 miles to charge. So stopping early isn’t in my DNA.
Sponsored