• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
If you look at the EA stations around me almost all the Chadmo ports have issues. Might be that someone has figured out a hack and has been getting free juice???
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If you look at the EA stations around me almost all the Chadmo ports have issues. Might be that someone has figured out a hack and has been getting free juice???
Could be, but likely also no one ever uses them so no problems are reported and they are just wasting away. This is my issue with EA - the sheer number of problems that we've heard about for years. My hope is that as they get a lot more use, common problems are reported right away and they respond to get them fixed right away vs being left broken for weeks. They have to become responsive and keep the network operating at near 100% capacity. 1 out of 4 chargers in a cabinet working at a time won't cut it.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
all the Chargepoints in Georgia, hosted by Georgia Power, continue to be installed with a CHAdeMO on one side, and a CCS on the other. Yes, currently the Leaf and only a few minor others might use the CHAdeMO, but you can't really just 'do away' with them because we don't think enough Leaf Owners are still out there. As long as they are, they will need access to DC Fast Charging just like the rest of us.
As for Nissan dealers, most DO have a DC Fast Charger on their property, but whether they WORK or not is the question. They have no idea how to fix them, and are not in the business of fixing electricity-based devices like these. They are FREE, though, when they do work.

It's conceivable that there is a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter out there, but it may be more of a 'communications' protocol that's different, not just the plug head itself.

I imagine we'll continue to see CHAdeMO at most DC Fast Charging locations for the foreseeable future, but yes, we could see less and less NEW ones as time goes by. I would not be happy about that if I were a new LEAF owner, but that vehicle design already incorporated the CHAdeMO charge type. I see that the new ARIYA will be CCS.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
all the Chargepoints in Georgia, hosted by Georgia Power, continue to be installed with a CHAdeMO on one side, and a CCS on the other. Yes, currently the Leaf and only a few minor others might use the CHAdeMO, but you can't really just 'do away' with them because we don't think enough Leaf Owners are still out there. As long as they are, they will need access to DC Fast Charging just like the rest of us.
As for Nissan dealers, most DO have a DC Fast Charger on their property, but whether they WORK or not is the question. They have no idea how to fix them, and are not in the business of fixing electricity-based devices like these. They are FREE, though, when they do work.

It's conceivable that there is a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter out there, but it may be more of a 'communications' protocol that's different, not just the plug head itself.

I imagine we'll continue to see CHAdeMO at most DC Fast Charging locations for the foreseeable future, but yes, we could see less and less NEW ones as time goes by. I would not be happy about that if I were a new LEAF owner, but that vehicle design already incorporated the CHAdeMO charge type. I see that the new ARIYA will be CCS.
I wouldn't say we should "do away" with existing Chademo, perhaps, since many are dual-plug anyway, not standalone chargers, but we shouldn't be putting any more money, especially public money into Chademo. It's a dead plug, and that's been known for YEARS that no one else would be making cars with it anymore. Anyone who bought a 2nd Gen Leaf with Chademo also should have known and realized that they were buying a dying plug, too.

We can't keep supporting it forever just because there are a handful of Leafs doing trips, Nissan screwed their customers by sticking with a dying plug, and customers bought an obviously dying plug.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
It would have been better to add in a sort of sidecar where you plug CCS into box then grab Chadmo. Then you'd support more people.

Sponsored

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
I wouldn't say we should "do away" with existing Chademo, perhaps, since many are dual-plug anyway, not standalone chargers, but we shouldn't be putting any more money, especially public money into Chademo. It's a dead plug, and that's been known for YEARS that no one else would be making cars with it anymore. Anyone who bought a 2nd Gen Leaf with Chademo also should have known and realized that they were buying a dying plug, too.

We can't keep supporting it forever just because there are a handful of Leafs doing trips, Nissan screwed their customers by sticking with a dying plug, and customers bought an obviously dying plug.
Absolutely agree. No saying you should remove Chademo connectors but it does not make financial sense for either private or public companies to continue expenditures on these plugs. Only been driving an EV for a year but I have yet to see a leaf at an EA station (not saying they don't go just that you don't expend resources on the exception, and apologies if that upsets the Leaf owners). Given that the CCS plug is not really a great configuration I do expect that a few years from now the standard will shift and while I won't like it I expect charging station will shift with it over time.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
$150 adapter
Well, it was pointed out earlier that you can't put a J1772 adaptor on a Supercharger. You need something to make it CCS.

And I'll be damned if I'm going to buy an adaptor so Tesla can collect tax dollars. It's up to them to make their equipment usable.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Show me the Superchargers with the J1772 connector. Until then, this is fake news.
Correction here. J1772 is for Level 2 charging.
CCS is for Fast Charging DC while traveling.

Sponsored

3LCD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Until then I guess this will be a Blu-ray vs HDDVD (VHS vs Betamax, etc.) war for charging plug standard...

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I thought that war had already concluded leaving us with CCS.

Regardless, what does the Tesla adapter actually do? I see people discussing it and saying it won't do this or that, but then I see people on Facebook posting pictures of their trucks charging from a Tesla charger.

Does it only work on non-supercharging Tesla chargers? Does it allow you to charge for free? What's the scoop...

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I thought that war had already concluded leaving us with CCS.

Regardless, what does the Tesla adapter actually do? I see people discussing it and saying it won't do this or that, but then I see people on Facebook posting pictures of their trucks charging from a Tesla charger.

Does it only work on non-supercharging Tesla chargers? Does it allow you to charge for free? What's the scoop...
My understanding is that any current Tesla adapter that you can buy (at least in the US) is for non-supercharging. So if you or a friend has a home Tesla charger you can you use it with the adapter. They can also be used at Tesla "destination" chargers, which are frequently at restaurants and hotels etc. But supercharging is a whole different ball game.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I totally missed this while on vacation last week. This would be great if they really follow through!
Sponsored