• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buying Conundrum - Lariat max tow - new vs. used

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Wife finally gave green light on a lighting as I turn over my ioniq 5 to my teenagers. I'd like to do Lariat to get the blue cruise, memory seat and sunroof. The engineer in me says get max tow for the cooling, even though I have a diesel super duty that I will keep to tow our 5th wheel camping trailer. Most Extended Range lariats with max tow are over the $80K mark which prevents the tax rebate - furthermore I'm in MA where I'd get another $7,500 off a new one. I'm seeing some offers of $3-4K off of MSRP for year end. I'm in a time crunch - likely to not qualify for the fed tax credit next year due to new jobs. So new one would be about $62K - I'm seeing some used for mid to high 50s but they keep getting sold as soon as I discover them and it is hit or miss on the max tow package.

Use for truck - daily commute 25 miles each way - flat. Weekends to Rangeley Maine 200 miles each way with a net elevation gain of 1,600 ft). Based on my ioniq 5 experience (which even has a heat pump), for winter I'll need extended range to make it w/o charging due to heating loads and elevation gain.

Occasional local towing up to 5 or 6K pounds (pontoon boat). Perhaps a 2x per year 700 mile each way road trip to Cleveland OH for college drop off/pick up once superchargers are available.

So - the crux of the question - will I regret not getting max tow for my uses?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Forgot to mention - due to MA $7,500 rebate, not a huge discount to go used.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Nothing I saw you outline would dictate the towing package, but it is a nice feature with some neat technology for handling a trailer.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Nothing I saw you outline would dictate the towing package, but it is a nice feature with some neat technology for handling a trailer.
I think you might be thinking the tow-tech package. OP is asking about max tow which AFAIK just adds some additional battery cooling.

@Hazmat I don't think you need Max-Tow, It's my understanding that without it the system will prioritize battery cooling over occupant comfort. Unless you live in a place that's super hot, or you are stressing the towing to the max, you will probably never notice the lack of it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
I think you answered your question, you have a diesel for towing, Don't get me wrong I love my Lightning but real-world towing is limited to short construction site towing and not distance recreational towing. I consider my truck to be the supervisor truck and not the grunt mobile sounds like you are in a similar vote. Yes, I purchased the tow package but I'm in the southwest where extra cooling capacity is appreciated. You're in a cool climate zone. Hope this helps.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I think you might be thinking the tow-tech package. OP is asking about max tow which AFAIK just adds some additional battery cooling.

@Hazmat I don't think you need Max-Tow, It's my understanding that without it the system will prioritize battery cooling over occupant comfort. Unless you live in a place that's super hot, or you are stressing the towing to the max, you will probably never notice the lack of it.
Max Tow package increases towing capacity from 7,700 lbs to 10,000 lbs.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Buy new, get Max Tow, keep looking until you find one that squeaks in (no destination and delivery, my truck was $81,500 but under $80 without the d&d). You'll have a longer warranty than used, won't wonder how many times someone stoplight drag raced (these are ten-year-old-supercar fast trucks) and you'll have the peace of mind of the extra cooling, thereby preserving the battery for longer. Finally, you'll also have better resale when that time comes. Good luck, you will love the truck!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Yeah, I think your including D&D in your number. It does not count for the 80K. Just looked at a loaded Lariat here (max tow, power running boards, bed liner, etc) and it was under 80K:

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying Conundrum - Lariat max tow - new vs. used 1703210386542

OP
OP

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Unfortunately D&D IS included in the Massachusetts $80K rebate limit.... You'd think they'd be consistent with the Feds....

Appreciate all the inputs. I've been searching high and low and have found a couple examples that meet the criteria (the $650 for smart scale removal helps). Unfortunately not super close - will dial for dollars in the AM. The couple larger dealers by me have units with max tow "in transit" - problematic for my Dec 31 deadline...

Sponsored

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Are you willing to buy out of state? My dealer in Georgia - Akins Ford has about 15 Lightning’s all about 8-10k off right now as they are about to get 20 -2024 in starting in January. I wonder if you showed the dealer up there they would price match? Maybe not but I do think you have options if your willing to travel.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Are you willing to buy out of state? My dealer in Georgia - Akins Ford has about 15 Lightning’s all about 8-10k off right now as they are about to get 20 -2024 in starting in January. I wonder if you showed the dealer up there they would price match? Maybe not but I do think you have options if your willing to travel.
For Federal credit it is MSRP less D&D, not the price you paid. Price you paid is irrelevant.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
If it comes down to $7500 or Max Tow, I'd take the cash.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Are you willing to buy out of state? My dealer in Georgia
NEW RULE
3. Rebates are available for eligible vehicles purchased or leased both in and outside of the Commonwealth. Vehicles obtained outside of the Commonwealth must be registered in Massachusetts within ninety (90) days of purchase or lease.
He must buy from a Massachusetts dealer to receive the Mass MOR-EV-TRUCK rebate.
Sponsored

Last edited: