• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Gotta love it when the dealer writes a F' you letter and ends it with "have a great day"! Aaris Berry has some brass cojones.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is a great email to Tweet Out with the dealer tagged along with Farley and Levin maybe a couple of Tesla Stans

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
One good reply: I guess you don't want my business in three years when my lease is up (doesn't matter if you really plan on leasing).

BEMOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Prius PHEV, F150 Lightning
I'm headed to the dealer this evening to do final order sheet. No talk of ADM yet. If it comes up I'm pulling the pocket aces - knowing the owner. I'll leave out the part where I got his golf cart stuck in the snow at 2am one time back in high school....

Update: No ADM!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Just browsed an article on TheStreet that reported a hummer EV being advertised for $325k, private flip sale. There is dealer ADM and then there are flippers. Rough time to be buying.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'm just gonna drop this right here for the crowd that thinks "direct sales" is such a great deal.

US: Tesla Substantially Increased Prices For All Models (insideevs.com)

Said it before, I'll say it again.. direct sales means we ALL pay more. Competition between dealers means that under most circumstances the consumer has some leverage depending upon the market supply(which is low right now, I'll admit). Direct pricing the consumer has ZERO leverage.

Now you might be asking yourself.. well what about Ford going to the Model E plan with set pricing? In that case yes the price is set, but dealers will still compete for your business so they can get their small kickback(I think its 8%?)

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
I'm just gonna drop this right here for the crowd that thinks "direct sales" is such a great deal.

Said it before, I'll say it again.. direct sales means we ALL pay more. Competition between dealers means that under most circumstances the consumer has some leverage depending upon the market supply(which is low right now, I'll admit). Direct pricing the consumer has ZERO leverage.

Now you might be asking yourself.. well what about Ford going to the Model E plan with set pricing? In that case yes the price is set, but dealers will still compete for your business so they can get their small kickback(I think its 8%?)
100% Still believe direct sales are superior. I think I understand your angle (regarding 'deal'), just disagree that customer has zero leverage. Tell me what the thing costs, and I'll buy or not buy, same as I could walk or not walk when negotiating. No mystery, no skill, I'm not interested in wasting energy chasing some discount that may or may not even be attainable.

Disclaimer: I'm biased as I bought my car on my phone from Tesla with a clear price that didnt change from order to delivery.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist

You have Tesla's profit margins vs fords?

I think you're dead wrong. Ford only makes what they sell to the dealers for inventory whish is well below MSRP.

Their competition is other car companies.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
100% Still believe direct sales are superior. I think I understand your angle (regarding 'deal'), just disagree that customer has zero leverage. Tell me what the thing costs, and I'll buy or not buy, same as I could walk or not walk when negotiating. No mystery, no skill, I'm not interested in wasting energy chasing some discount that may or may not even be attainable.

Disclaimer: I'm biased as I bought my car on my phone from Tesla with a clear price that didnt change from order to delivery.
I've bought four from Tesla. Got totally bent over the barrel on the last two. Tesla has become beyond unethical in its dealings with customers. And unavailable, non communicative, demanding, and unhelpful, hiding behind "policy". Beyond that, great cars. Truly the best things I've ever owned. But sh*t company and business model.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
You have Tesla's profit margins vs fords?

I think you're dead wrong. Ford only makes what they sell to the dealers for inventory whish is well below MSRP.

Their competition is other car companies.
Tesla's margins are off the charts compared to any car manufacturer in history, blowing away Porsche, which is #2. Varies by quarter, but never below 15% gross sales margin in their worst quarter, which was an anomaly related to the initial M3 roll-out, and historically 25-28%. They are not in this for changing the world. They are in this for wealth creation and profits.

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
I've bought four from Tesla. Got totally bent over the barrel on the last two. Tesla has become beyond unethical in its dealings with customers. And unavailable, non communicative, demanding, and unhelpful, hiding behind "policy". Beyond that, great cars. Truly the best things I've ever owned. But sh*t company and business model.
Yeah I think I got lucky and have a good service center. How did you get bent over the barrel? Was it regarding service or defects? Never heard of price getting surprise increased after order.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE

Small kickback of 8%? This is for an essentially no inventory you prep the car for pickup and get the contract ready (which was on an IPAD) sales model? Bought a Mach-E and that is literally all that was required off the dealer. On a 70k$ car that would approach 6k plus any commissions from the financing. Don't feel bad.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Small kickback of 8%? This is for an essentially no inventory you prep the car for pickup and get the contract ready (which was on an IPAD) sales model? Bought a Mach-E and that is literally all that was required off the dealer. On a 70k$ car that would approach 6k plus any commissions from the financing. Don't feel bad.

Oh I don't feel bad. If you are ordering from the internet and the "dealer" is focusing solely on delivery that's not a bad payback to the dealer..pretty easy money if you ask me.

- No time spent by the trying to make the sale, test drives, etc. No need to constantly communicate with customer to convince them to buy
- No time spent by dealer trying to contact potential sales leads..cold calls, email lists, etc
- no money spent on newspaper ads, tv ads, etc
- No time spent by dealer trying to acquire inventory at appropriate trim level, or assist customer through order process. No time haggling or losing sales to the dealer in the next town who gave customer a lower quote
etc.

Basically they get a decent payday for receiving a car from the transport, prepping the car, and paperwork.

Probably what..a days worth of work for $6k or more? Not a bad deal for the dealer.

With all that said...that's why the dealers will be on top Ford to not screw this up with pricing games or gimmicks like Tesla. Since its an easy money train they will not want Ford to do anything to discourage sales on which they can profit. Check and balances.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Yeah I think I got lucky and have a good service center. How did you get bent over the barrel? Was it regarding service or defects? Never heard of price getting surprise increased after order.
delivery process was abusive. Ordered my last Tesla MX, received delivery date target of 10/19. While sailing offshore from Key West to Chesapeake Bay in late Sept 2019, I received a sat phone call indicating the car would be delivered in a three day window starting three days from then. I was two days from nearest port, five days from my target arrival in Maryland. It was an ultimatum - take it or leave it, the car would go to the next buyer and I could reorder. So I had to turn to land, come ashore in S Carolina, rent a car, drive to Owings Mills, take delivery, pick up my wife in Virginia, drive back to my waiting crew in S. Carolina, and head back to sea.

Tesla refused to wait THREE days despite the early delivery timing being on them. They claimed it was due to limited parking, yet there was plenty of space at the delivery center. They also retraded the WRITTEN lifetime free vehicle-level Supercharging, switching it from life of vehicle to my term of ownership between the order date and the delivery. Zero recourse, no option but to take delivery or walk - DS blamed on "policy change". There are many other stories of folks who ordered MX and MS in 2020 being refunded and price not honored due to 2021 refresh. The latest is that they have eliminated the option to purchase extended warranties at 50K miles or four years - AFTER THE FACT of purchase. I could write a book about the service issues.
Sponsored