• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"ELECTRIC SYSTEM DRAIN SERVICE REQUIRED" error

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Anyone seen this on their Lightning yet? Googling turned up some Mach E users that have seen this, something about possibly low 12v battery charge? I got this error after a long day of driving, including off road, gravel road, and highway. I'd plugged in when I got home at about 15%. Got this error and then watched as my FCSP would try to charge for a second, then trip, charge for a second, then trip. Charge lights started white, turned blue for a second, then back to white. Kind of scary. Left it unplugged overnight. Plugged in when I got up in the morning, and acted normally.
Ford F-150 Lightning "ELECTRIC SYSTEM DRAIN SERVICE REQUIRED" error 1663205336997
Sponsored

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
I would not worry about it unless it happens again Or your 12 volt battery goes dead.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Yup happened to me when I left my EVSE plugged into the truck without actually charging(EVSE was set to charge during off peak). I only plug it in before off peak now and no more errors.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I got the same warning after pulling and reinstalling the trailer light fuses. Also the Frunk would not close by itself.

Closed the trunk manually (it latched itself) and everything has been fine since.

BTW the trailer lights stopped working after the third or fourth use; turns out the connector on the inside of the bumper was loose.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I got the same warning after pulling and reinstalling the trailer light fuses. Also the Frunk would not close by itself.

Closed the trunk manually (it latched itself) and everything has been fine since.

BTW the trailer lights stopped working after the third or fourth use; turns out the connector on the inside of the bumper was loose.
Hello, Duncan! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

Sponsored

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
I’ve gotten this message about 3 times in the last month and half. My Mache has done this as well and it’s never failed her. Maybe a glitch.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Don’t any of y’all know that you HAVE to completely drain the electrical system every 5000 miles? And then refill it with fresh electricity (of the proper grade) to the “full” mark on the dipstick? Sheesh!

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Don’t any of y’all know that you HAVE to completely drain the electrical system every 5000 miles? And then refill it with fresh electricity (of the proper grade) to the “full” mark on the dipstick? Sheesh!
They're obviously missing the battery drain plug. Maybe they need to check their garage to see if there's a puddle of electricity under their truck. Puddle may consist of AA batteries.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I had this same error this morning. I traveled about 350 mile yesterday and got home with about a 20% charge. My charger was scheduled to charge at midnight, but my log says it started at 6:13 p.m. The charge level only went up to 54%, so it must have failed a hour or so after it started charging. The charger did seem to be doing the cycling when I unplugged it.

Disappointing when you can't count on having a full charge when scheduled. I would be nice if the app at least alerted me of the issue. I could of then unplugged and tried to start a charge again.

Sponsored

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
I received the message on the app this morning. It was waiting to charge at super off peak hr charging at midnight and did not charge. I scanned using OBDII adapter and it has this code
Ford F-150 Lightning "ELECTRIC SYSTEM DRAIN SERVICE REQUIRED" error F98FCE4B-E139-4DE5-B353-0AAEB200B57E

I unplugged and plugged in again to receive charge and touched charge to 100% to start charge cycle outside of charge window and it is charging. What is the problem?

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
This happens to me every time it’s around freezing outside, and around the time my car has reached it’s pre-set charge limit and stops charging.

Example this morning (I think it was around 20 degrees outside)
6:55 AM - electrical system drain message
6:56 AM, charging stopped after reaching the desired level.
7:20-8:30 AM - drove son to school, parked car back into garage
11:07 AM - car not plugged in, sitting in the garage, electrical system drain message

Previous error times;
1/9 @ 6:18 AM (charging stopped at 6:32 AM)
1/9 @ 10:53 AM (sitting in the garage, not plugged in)

Quite baffling to me, the low voltage battery charge level is good, although hard to know if there is some reduced voltage on it without having a meter on it and going out to check regularly.

Anybody else done soem troubleshooting on this? I really do not want to bring it to the dealer to have them sit on it for several days… (I also don’t want there to be a major issue, either!)

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
So I'm getting this error ALL THE TIME. Low voltage battery seems to be ok (likely because the HVB maintains it).

Checked Forscan today, and found this new DTC in the BdyCM:
Code: B1616 - Electrical System High Key Off Load

So there must be some parasitic battery drain when the key is off. Maybe PaaK or some other connected service? Anybody have any ideas?

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
So I'm getting this error ALL THE TIME. Low voltage battery seems to be ok (likely because the HVB maintains it).

Checked Forscan today, and found this new DTC in the BdyCM:
Code: B1616 - Electrical System High Key Off Load

So there must be some parasitic battery drain when the key is off. Maybe PaaK or some other connected service? Anybody have any ideas?

Your LVB is likely bad/sulfated from lack of dealer charging and cold weather. I know it's brand new.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-recondition-service-your-12v-battery.11069/

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired