• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Just guessing here, but a 4-9 year old truck will probably never get an OTA from Ford, this is not an iPhone.
I'll be very interesting to see if the changes that was shown on the Flash (charge rate for example) will even make it to the 22 and 23s.
I think Maxx was considering the future .... 2029, 2030...........
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Just guessing here, but a 4-9 year old truck will probably never get an OTA from Ford, this is not an iPhone.
I'll be very interesting to see if the changes that was shown on the Flash (charge rate for example) will even make it to the 22 and 23s.
I am totally cool with leaving my truck alone after year 3, if it is working OK and major problems are resolved. Unless there is some sort of update to charging standards that it needs to talk to chargers better/safer or something cool like pass code to start.

I am thinking these days it is becoming a common practice for manufacturers to go to production with an unfinished product and try to refine it after. Three years should be enough for them to iron out the kinks.

Just imagine if Microsoft was updating your truck, it would get fatter and fatter until it blew up or stopped moving completely. You can tell, me and updates don't have a great history.

Last edited:

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I think Maxx was considering the future .... 2029, 2030...........
Oh I know/understand, my point was simply that there comes a time where we won't get any more updates unless it's a critical/safety related issue, simply because "if it works, don't fix it" and there's got to be an incentive (new features) to upgrade to a new vehicle.
So even something as simple as the charge-rate isn't guaranteed to make it's way to older vehicles.

beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning XLT SR 312A
When I tried to start my F150L yesterday afternoon I received the message below on the display. I will say that the Ford Customer Relationship Center was very responsive and the vehicle was under tow within a few hours. The dealership called the next morning (they were closed when the tow dropped the vehicle off) and has promised a quick resolution. I'm glad this happened at home and I wasn't stranded somewhere.
20240304_160344.jpg
I’m on vacation in Florida right now from N.C. I turned off the automatic updates for this very reason as soon as I got down here. I didn’t want it to possibly update and brick. And guess what it notified me today an update is ready for me to accept and install. I’m like yeah no that’s gonna wait till I’m back home Friday.

Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
AFAIK, all the trucks run on CANBUS which is the lowest form of communication on the aircraft I work on. The systems I touch are decades more modern than CANBUS tech.
How many more decades until door plug tech is perfected?

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
It would have been nice if the error message included that information, but it did not. A general principle in software engineering is that if an update fails, the software simply reverts to the previously working version. I think this is poor software design.
Check sums aren't performed on the binary image before attempting the install? Incredible.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Check sums aren't performed on the binary image before attempting the install? Incredible.
Once an OTA trigger is given consent to install, the interrogator posts the log followed by a manifest. Once the files get verified as the correct ones, the vehicle downloads the files. If the files are not the correct ones, it will fail with an error citing checksum error, software mismatch, manifest mismatch, etc. It will not go past the "manifest posted" step you see in the process below. My guess is that it failed during the install process. SoC got too low, maybe? An OTA bricking a vehicle is rarely reported and I've never gotten the chance to run VIN through PTS to see what it records on the status log below.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 1709689761998

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I’m on vacation in Florida right now from N.C. I turned off the automatic updates for this very reason as soon as I got down here. I didn’t want it to possibly update and brick. And guess what it notified me today an update is ready for me to accept and install. I’m like yeah no that’s gonna wait till I’m back home Friday.
Yup. I let it download anytime it wants but I only manually install when both 12V battery and me are emotionally ready to deal with the potential consequences of the crapshoot.

Sponsored

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Once an OTA trigger is given consent to install, the interrogator posts the log followed by a manifest. Once the files get verified as the correct ones, the vehicle downloads the files. If the files are not the correct ones, it will fail with an error citing checksum error, software mismatch, manifest mismatch, etc. It will not go past the "manifest posted" step you see in the process below. My guess is that it failed during the install process. SoC got too low, maybe? An OTA bricking a vehicle is rarely reported and I've never gotten the chance to run VIN through PTS to see what it records on the status log below.

1709689761998.png
Interesting. In the log, I don't see anything like an explicit sha256sum verification .. the payload downloads and gets verified before being deployed? Maybe it's hidden in the Interrogator log?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Interesting. In the log, I don't see anything like an explicit sha256sum verification .. the payload downloads and gets verified before being deployed? Maybe it's hidden in the Interrogator log?
Possibly. I can't see anything other that what is shown there. The files get verified first, and then downloaded. In the case I posted, it was only one file that was downloaded. The file(s) get verified before the are downloaded. Here is an example of what a rejected update looks like for reference.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 1709693812369

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

1709689761998.png
How far back does this history go? Mine bricked on July 20 last year. My VIN is 1FTVW1EL9PWG02240 if that info is still out there.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
How far back does this history go? Mine bricked on July 20 last year. My VIN is 1FTVW1EL9PWG02240 if that info is still out there.
You had two OTAs in July and they both show they were canceled by the server. However, I assume it was 23-PU0105-DC-CHG2 on 7/20 for the OBCC. I say that for two reasons: The OTA you got on 7/18 never met the battery requirements, so the truck never tried to install it. The one here did try to install because the vehicle entered inhibit mode. I read through tech notes posted when you took it to the dealer and it reads:

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 1709698362451

So it seems the vehicle was not able to get out of inhibit mode. The OTA dashboard does not reveal much as to why it bricked. The only thing I see with this OTA that is not "normal" is that the truck never reported the battery conditions to the cloud before attempting to install the updates. Maybe somehow that step in the OTA process got skipped and the battery got too low? On July 18th when the other OTA trigger was active, the reason it did not attempt to install was low battery stats.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 1709698145581

Thanks for sharing, but at least in this case, it was kinda anticlimactic. I was hoping the OTA dashboard gave more insight. It took the dealer 2 minutes to fix it. Literally two minutes. This is why everyone should own a Mongoose, IMO.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed (OTA) Update bricked my 2023 F150L 1709699006383

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
An inoperable vehicle due to a software update is unacceptable. Sorry that happened to you.

I saw some comments about being worried that this could happen during an outing. What I do to mitigate this (somewhat) is I schedule updates only to occur at 1AM. There's just a high probability that my truck is in the driveway at that time.
Sponsored