• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thunder1809

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. Did you switch all breakers over to Square D to be uniform or just mix the Square D and Siemens for ones you wanted to replace/ swap out?
I did an intermix of Square D and Siemens. Looks a little inconsistent but that's about it.
Sponsored

N8-G

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
I've had this exact issue. I'm going to do my best to go through the steps to identify the problem below but it's possible I miss a step since I'm going by memory, which is not good. Be safe. Don't test a hot panel. Assume it's hot until you confirm it's not. You are testing for continuity, not current. Anyway...

The problem is there's a neutral touching ground somewhere when the switch is in the Generator Power position. It's that simple. You need to figure out where that is happening.

1. Make sure you lifted the correct neutral wires from your main panel. It would be an easy mistake to make to reroute the wrong wire, especially if your panel was full, like mine was.

2. Test continuity between the neutral bus and the ground bus in the switch panel with the switch in the Generator Power position. There should be no continuity.

3. If there's continuity between the ground bus and neutral bus in the switch panel, lift individual neutral wires from the neutral bus and test continuity between the individual neutral wire and the ground bus. There should be no continuity.

4. If you identify a circuit with continuity to the ground bus you have isolated the circuit where neutral and ground are touching. Figure out exactly what outlets/lights/etc. are on that circuit and start investigating. Unplug everything on the circuit and test again. If you still can't find it start inspecting outlets, light hookups, and whatever else is hooked up to that circuit. That's how I discovered a miswired fireplace fan.

If you are brave enough to face internet scrutiny, post photos of your installation here. If there's something that's screwed up it will be identified and you can address it.

Good luck! It's frustrating but if you are methodical, thorough, and safe you'll figure it out and be happy with the switch when it's put back together.

Just wanted to hop on here and say Thank You for this piece of gold. I have been trying to track down this problem for a couple of months and this post provided everything I needed to fix my issues. I found that one of the switches on a circuit I relocated to my Generac panel was in the same wall box as another circuit that was still on my main panel. The neutrals for both of those circuits were all connected together in that box. Once I separated them my truck does not trip and I can now power my critical loads if my power goes out. Thanks again!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Just wanted to hop on here and say Thank You for this piece of gold. I have been trying to track down this problem for a couple of months and this post provided everything I needed to fix my issues. I found that one of the switches on a circuit I relocated to my Generac panel was in the same wall box as another circuit that was still on my main panel. The neutrals for both of those circuits were all connected together in that box. Once I separated them my truck does not trip and I can now power my critical loads if my power goes out. Thanks again!
Just an FYI for anyone who comes across this….neutrals from different branch circuits should never be connected together.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick, mustang
carys98 thanks for posting this. I would not have found this solution without your post and it saved thousands in equipment costs.
Sponsored