• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How far have we gone? Your Lightning mileage?

How many miles have you put on your lightning?

• Total voters

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
Took delivery of a Lariat ER July 7, 22 and have 27619 miles.

Frunk issue within first month, fixed under warranty. Everything else has been golden other than the dang active air dam errors, but those have reduced in frequency with updates.

I did run out of charge one driving home. Technically I did make it into my yard, but when it hit 0, the truck completely stopped. Accessories remained active, but I honestly expected a creep mode to kick in. (It was a long trip home from out of town and I was exhausted and pushed the truck too hard. I knew it was going to be close, and the GOM was accurate.)
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
November 1st for me. I have 23,500 miles. No major issues. Just bluetooth phone connection issues, occasional FCP charging faults.

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Got the truck delivered June 16, 2023 and have 2258 miles on it.

We had a tent, three air mattresses and a pump, a coffee maker, two duffle bags and two bags of bedding in the frunk.

So...

I LOVE my truck!
I think I picked mine up June 16 also. 1,135 miles, and I feel like I haven't been doing much driving. Anyway, I read your camping post to my husband and he thought that sounded great. I let him know I'd also need my coffee grinder and milk frother. He said I might as well start a mini coffee shop in the campground and charge $10 a cup ;)

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Alomost 1 year 15,000 miles for me. No problems. :sneaky:(y)

Sponsored

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
May I ask what the issue was?
There were some problems with early production runs with water getting into the electronics controlling the pneumatics covered under warranty. I think similar in issue to moisture in the rear light bar (which I also have come to think of it, the recall is pending parts).

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
June 21, 2022 delivery. Just over 21K miles. On initial delivery I had a charging issue - wouldn’t charge anywhere other than my house. Easily addressed via update but was a problem becomes I didn’t find that out until our first trip very close to initial delivery and where I was at for the trip. Only other issue happened this week when the tailgate was going down and something “cracked” loudly in the mechanism. Going in for a fix shortly.

We have taken it on several medium distance trips with great success, and it serves as an amazing baseball and softball wagon for both my kids.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Just crossed 30,000 miles since delivery on June 10, 2022. No mechanical/electrical issues other than the usual (Active Air Dam warnings, etc.). One seat issue with the drivers side bolster splitting per many F-150s. Got a non-warranty custom fix with a real double layer leather replacement.

I can go 300 miles in mixed driving from your cottage (260 miles driveway to driveway). Just left there Thurs with 100% and arrived home 264 miles later with 40 miles of range left...Included stretches on the 407 toll highway over 80 mph.

Very happy after almost 14 months. Towed the Sea-Doo up this time and obviously an aero friendly 1,100 lb PWC/Trailer combo had almost no effect (I guestimated a loss of about 20 miles of range over a 260 mile run). I will need new tires before winter. I rotate (rearward cross) every 5,000 miles but down to 5/32nds.

Ford F-150 Lightning How far have we gone? Your Lightning mileage? image

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
June 17 2022, 13 months. 2,970 miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning How far have we gone? Your Lightning mileage? IMG_3137

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I did run out of charge one driving home. Technically I did make it into my yard, but when it hit 0, the truck completely stopped...
yep, I had a similar 'last minute, last mile' situation. While I had traveled with the truck several thousand miles over the first month, and much of that with my 3,000 lb camper, this time it was just me and my third son, driving from his off-campus camper north of Huntsville AL, over and across to Young Harris GA, where my fourth son lives in his camper near his college campus.
I pushed the truck to 'try' to make it all the way, without having to stop again, as it was now dark, and late, and we just wanted to 'get there'... unfortunately, the last 100 yards of road leading into my son's mountain neighborhood is a STEEP entry. While you can 'get a run at it' with some momentum to help, it's a relatively tight and squirrelly road up...

Anyway, I had maybe 1% in the tank, and floored the pedal when I got to the start of the 'hill', thinking I'd let the momentum and speed 'help' the truck during this last 100 yards to the finish line.... UH OH, NO.... It came to a sudden and unexpected STOP right in the middle of the road, not 20 yards 'up' the hill toward his camper... not good. I was shocked, and at first, really didn't know what to do - you can't just 'bring me a can of gas' to get the rest of the way, and there certainly wasn't a long enough extension cord to 'plug in' anywhere! Hmmmmm, think, think, think...what are your options??
So, I realized that I did not have much of ANY option, but I MUST get this truck out of the roadway. So, I put the gear in Neutral, and let the truck roll back down the hill, and into a small driveway that happened to be at the foot of the entrance.... and because of the steepness of the road, I was able to then turn my wheels to point the truck back 'down' the road toward the main road, where I thought I would park it on the grass, on the side of the roadway, until morning, when I could try to come up with some way of charging the battery.... well....

when I got the truck, in Neutral, to roll down the rest of the way, and onto the grass, it went a little farther than I wanted, so I put the truck in Reverse, not thinking, and the truck WENT backwards, with the 'GO' pedal.... I suddenly realized that the truck had power, at least WHILE IN REVERSE. I took no chance at waiting and just decided that NOW was the time to put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, and I REVERSED the truck all the way back up the mountainous road to my son's camper!
It worked : )

Now, the question then became: "WHY, did the truck stop and have NO POWER to proceed UP the mountain, at first, and yet later, HAVE POWER to Reverse up the mountain?
While I believe, like most, that there is a 'limp' or 'turtle' mode for most EVs when they get extremely low on power, maybe this truck does not... or, maybe it does....

There is a little round 'gauge' that we are all used to seeing, and looking at, at the left side of our driver screen. It tells us things like how our power is being used as we are driving, any regeneration that is happening, the 'percentage' of battery power, range, etc. It's in constant 'movement' while we are driving.
What it ALSO SHOWS, though, is a little 'percentage' notification, too, of how much POWER the truck will give us, or, in other words, how much power the truck will ALLOW us to use: if you drive you truck to the point where the alert of "low battery power/range" comes up, especially the second alert, which is normally at about 25 miles or less, you'll notice that the top left 'percentage' indicator starts to LOWER itself, and gets LOWER the farther you drive... THAT GAUGE is the amount of POWER that the truck will allow you to GET when you push the pedal, or, the MAXIMUM amount of power you will be able to use: SO, here's what I think happened, in my case.

When I started 'up the hill', and while the truck was already at 1-2% battery power, I didn't realize, or did not yet UNDERSTAND, that the truck's MAXIMUM power, even with the pedal-to-the-metal, would be very little, or better said, the truck would not allow me to OVEREXTEND the battery's low state of charge to 'POWER UP THE MOUNTAIN', so it just came to a stop, letting me know that 'NO, You Will Not Use The Battery To Do This Right Now', by derating the battery power so much that the truck 'seemed' to come to a stop. What really happened is that the truck did not 'come to a stop', it simply did not let me get anything from the battery when I 'floored' the pedal, while at the same time trying to ascend a STEEP mountain road: The truck simply came to a stop on it's on, because of gravity. These trucks aren't like a old car, in neutral, where you simply let gravity and momentum take you as far as it will - the truck was not in Neutral, and therefore, when I pushed the "GO" pedal to 'floor it', the battery simply did not respond, being in such a low state of charge, and the MOTORS, therefore, created RESISTANCE to the effort and brought the truck to a stop. I was probably in SPORT mode, too, not realizing this would happen, and therefore the regeneration level of Sport mode probably just added even MORE stopping power.
When I eventually realized that the truck, in REVERSE, had power, what I didn't understand is that the truck DID still have power, EVEN in Forward gear, but since I was already in reverse, and didn't want to chance it, I STAYED IN REVERSE until I reached the top of the road to my son's camper. I probably could have just as well turned the truck around at the bottom of the hill and put it back into Forward gear, and 'crawled' slowly up the mountain, successfully.

So, in the end, a low state of charge battery is not going to 'react' like a full battery, or certainly even like an 'old school' vehicle would .... we have PERMANENT TRACTION MOTORS, they can't simply 'roll' on their own, they are ALWAYS engaged. This keeps us from staying in 'gear' and getting any momentum 'roll' from the truck - if I were to have put the truck in NEUTRAL, yes, I might have been able to get the use of the speed and momentum to get much of the way up that mountain road, but that thought did not cross my mind, at the time.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
and, another note, about 'range'... and our truck's 'trip' navigation.

yesterday, on the way here to, yes, my fourth son's camper in the mountains!, again, I took a moment at the start to ask the navigation to 'route' my trip. Well, it doesn't work too well.
It wanted to take me on several route options that I would never take on my own, and I know the route VERY WELL. It did NOT want to take me on the shortest, straightess, or most direct route - it gave me THREE options, NONE of which I would ever take, in a gas vehicle, let alone an EV where 'range' is of importance.

I could not, or found no way, to adjust the route on the screen. Too bad so sad...no way.

I changed some setting on the routing, speed vs eco vs distance, etc., and that seemed to make a difference, but yet, it STILL would not give me the most direct straight route that I have driven many, many times - especially at the end, where it wanted to divert me LEFT/West, out of the way 10 miles, instead of STAYING ON THE SAME 4-lane roadway directly to my destination. NO RHYME OR REASON WHY OR WAY TO CHANGE IT. Crazy.

Meanwhile, my little iphone with google maps had NO PROBLEMS giving me EXACTLY what I wanted, each and every time, all the time, with no issues.

I guess I'll just keep using my phone, Ford, instead of that 'expensive' Navigation software that someone there dreamed up as some type of 'help' to drivers. Crazy.

wgatkinson

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
November 2022 Lariat ER. 7,500 miles. Still love it as much as the day I drove it off the lot.

But, gotta admit, I still have some range anxiety. In the fall I will be taking about 4 trips to visit my daughter in college about 500 miles away. I won't drive the truck because I can't find chargers in the right places and I don't think I could still get there in one day.

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT
I took delivery of mine in August of 2022 and currently have just over 20k miles. Ive only had 2 DCFC sessions and the rest has been level 2. I would have had more but the truck has been in the shop for a month fixing the dead battery module. Should be getting it back next week.
Sponsored