• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I am admitting it here... I am going to have to practice patience and discipline while driving my new Lightning

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I'm in my mid/upper 50s and I am, and has always been an "assertive" driver. I kinda have a lead foot and I am going to have to rethink how I drive when I take delivery of my 23 Lightning Lariat ER hopefully in February or March.

I have a 2007 F-150 XLT 5.4L, 4X4 that i bought in mid 2007. My issue is, I sometimes seem to be in a hurry, even when I'm not in a hurry. :unsure: Now, I'm not that guy who is zipping through traffic, changing lanes and cutting folks off, but I catch myself doing about 9 mph over the limit in the city and will go around folks that want to text and drive while doing 5 mph below the limit, like I'm late for an appointment but I'm not. I don't drive where someone has to brake or panic because of my driving... that's not me. I guess I have to just practice some more patience, especially with this new Lightning and all of her power and torque!

That's all... I just wanted to get that off of my chest because I have literally been telling myself in my mind that that kind of assertiveness is going to be a thing of the past, here soon.

I can't be the only one here that drives a little faster than most? Go ahead and fess up ha ha.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Having faster acceleration will make you feel like a king when you're appropriately aggressive. I personally keep to about 9 mph over the speed limit too, I hardly drive like a maniac. However, when someone on country road is doing 45 in the 55 and there's dotted passing lines... get ready to enjoy driving more than you ever had before!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I can't be the only one here that drives a little faster than most? Go ahead and fess up ha ha.
Forgive me father, for I have sinned .... on many occasions! :LOL: :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
The lightning is almost as good as our xc40 EV. That has similar acceleration (almost as quick as the truck), but it is 173 inches long vs 232. The handling in traffic is telepathic. You think it and it happens. The truck is bigger with more inertia and isn't quite as nimble. But by the time you think I want to get up and go, you are already gone. You get to your 9 over just a bit faster and with less nvh than the V8.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
You will have to learn some discipline. I had a 2018 eco boost and I got used to the turbo lag. On my way home from picking my Lightning up I came up on someone going slow in the center lane of the highway. As soon as the left lane opened up I stepped on it and started to move over. I accelerated so fast I nearly hit the car in front of me before I could get over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Going from my mach e GT performance to the lightning was definitely a transition. A good transition that's slowed me down a bit. That thing was a rocketship and handled much better than the truck. I would floor it every opportunity in the Mach e, but it's pretty rare in the truck. It's just so comfy that it almost feels silly to drive fast. That said, my slower driving in the lightning is probably still faster than OPs driving 🤪

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
Self-discipline is hard. I am still amazed at the acceleration for my 7,000lb brick. I use the 'force' when commuting (BlueCruise). It helps keep me less aggressive. The 18yr old comes out in this 55+ brain when some aggressive ICE truck pulls alongside at a red light. It is so cute that they think that having a loud truck makes a fast truck (awww...so cute; buh bye). I am a work in progress.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Having faster acceleration will make you feel like a king when you're appropriately aggressive.
Changing the tires frequently make you feel like a peasant. Rivian forum is full of people talking about replacing tires. Heavy acceleration with an extra heavy truck and then heavy regen or break can do a number on those tires. There is a reason sprt cars are light. With great power comes .....

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Going from my mach e GT performance to the lightning was definitely a transition. A good transition that's slowed me down a bit. That thing was a rocketship and handled much better than the truck. I would floor it every opportunity in the Mach e, but it's pretty rare in the truck. It's just so comfy that it almost feels silly to drive fast. That said, my slower driving in the lightning is probably still faster than OPs driving 🤪
And here I am getting '23 Premium MME next month....

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Changing the tires frequently make you feel like a peasant. Rivian forum is full of people talking about replacing tires. Heavy acceleration with an extra heavy truck and then heavy regen or break can do a number on those tires. There is a reason sprt cars are light. With great power comes .....
Truth! My mach e tires were TOAST at 7k miles when I sold it.
Sponsored