• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I'm Curious, How Many People Are Considering Not Taking Delivery?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Ford can't rewrite the code - although final regulations from the IRS are not yet out (as far as I know) - and I don't know if there is any room in interpretation of what constitutes the vehicle price. But I am doubtful on that front.
I believe the new 2023 tax code changes, specifically the changes regarding EV incentives, are supposed to be readdressed or finalized in February. All the manufacturers want the $80K price cap lifted since inflation has driven all car prices upwards. I don't expect it to change though. I think most of the ongoing discussion is centered around materials sourcing, primarily for batteries. As it's currently written, I believe GM won't even be able to qualify for another couple years. So I'm expecting them to phase this requirement in over time.

2023 price hike along with eliminated features is what drove me to buy a dealer mannequin recently. I still have my 2023 on order and not sure what to do there just yet as I'm still trying to get that mannequin in my driveway. But the no tax credit as it currently stands along with everything else almost made me walk from ordering a 2023 when I was first invited.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
2023 price hike along with eliminated features is what drove me to buy a dealer mannequin recently. I still have my 2023 on order and not sure what to do there just yet as I'm still trying to get that mannequin in my driveway.
Let it get built, when decision time comes, assuming the demo model is in your possession abandon the special order so the dealer can take it to retail at a markup.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Let it get built, when decision time comes, assuming the demo model is in your possession abandon the special order so the dealer can take it to retail at a markup.
That's my plan. And it was ordered thru Granger Ford (Granger/DesMoines, IA) who was offering $1K below MSRP to those of us who ordered. If they place it into inventory, I bet they still offer MSRP. Granger has been great, I've already bought two other vehicles from them.

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
That's my plan. And it was ordered thru Granger Ford (Granger/DesMoines, IA) who was offering $1K below MSRP to those of us who ordered. If they place it into inventory, I bet they still offer MSRP. Granger has been great, I've already bought two other vehicles from them.
That sounds like a great dealer. My regular dealer did not have anything for sale, and I had to go to a bigger chain dealer to find the truck. Only willing to do MSRP on the Mannequin with 4,000 miles. I still have a reservation in too.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I'm abandoning my so far unscheduled order since I bought a MY22 off the lot. My order was a 23 SR Lariat with Blue Cruise, the original dealer refunded my $500 and changed the order to an ER plus Tow Tech. It appears I'll keep getting updates on it since it's still in my name. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get built and delivered while I enjoy driving one earlier than expected.

Sponsored

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
It totally does matter. Price hikes and loss of tax advantage raised price ~$15K. Whether I can afford a $90,000 truck or not isn't the issue. I had planned on buying a $78,000 truck, less $7,500 tax credit, $70,500. Comparing that to a $90,000 truck - not happening. Many feel the same.
Yes, this. Totally matters to me too. I'm fortunate that I can afford the Lightning, but seeing the tax credit evaporate in 2 weeks will likely be a deal killer for me. Even though Ford gave me their "special offer", I feel like they really made a mess of this whole thing. Deleting features I care about randomly, changing specs, discontinuing colors, etc. None of these things on their own are terrible (other than the heated steering wheel), its just a truck after all, but combined with all the other things that are broken in the process.... I dunno

To be fair to Ford, they actually made some of us in NJ whole last year on the Mach E, because they missed the delivery deadline for the NJ EV incentive, because they couldn't fulfill orders in a timely fashion. It was a nice gesture and I'm appreciative to Ford for that

But, the big But. Through the whole Lightning delivery process, the entire thing has been a mystery and opaque. After almost a year, I have ZERO confidence I'll get this thing at any time soon, even though my build date was almost 2 months ago, and my delivery date has shifted almost daily but neither Ford nor the dealer (who's been amazing BTW) knows where the damn thing actually is, and it probably hasn't even shipped yet.

My enthusiasm is draining away daily

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
Got my shipped email this morning, estimated delivery....1/6 at the earliest. MAYBE before year end if I'm lucky.

I'm just not sure I'll take delivery anymore if it comes in January. Originally wanted the Pro. At $63K for SR XLT, in California we get $9.5K total federal and state tax rebate which brings it down to $53K, a price I'm ok with.

If it goes up to $57K in '23 it's not a huge difference from $53K but combining the removed features like heated seats, two price hikes since reveal and now the federal tax rebate being halved its all adding up in the wrong direction. Pick a few of those and it's not so bad, add them all up and it starts to sour.

I guess my main concern is long-term knowing that even at $57k this is at the low end of what most people are and will be paying for a lightning. But will that price be competitive in 2, 3 or 5 years when the other auto makers are releasing their EV trucks? Really worried that in 5 years it will depreciate drastically due to competition.

carrillj

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang GT Convertible California Special
Occupation
Government
Got my shipped email this morning, estimated delivery....1/6 at the earliest. MAYBE before year end if I'm lucky.

I'm just not sure I'll take delivery anymore if it comes in January. Originally wanted the Pro. At $63K for SR XLT, in California we get $9.5K total federal and state tax rebate which brings it down to $53K, a price I'm ok with.

If it goes up to $57K in '23 it's not a huge difference from $53K but combining the removed features like heated seats, two price hikes since reveal and now the federal tax rebate being halved its all adding up in the wrong direction. Pick a few of those and it's not so bad, add them all up and it starts to sour.

I guess my main concern is long-term knowing that even at $57k this is at the low end of what most people are and will be paying for a lightning. But will that price be competitive in 2, 3 or 5 years when the other auto makers are releasing their EV trucks? Really worried that in 5 years it will depreciate drastically due to competition.
I recommend attending an International Auto Show like I did last month in LA. That puts things into perspective. I canceled my already built order as soon I arrived home. The Lightning looked like an extinct dinosaur compared to what the competition had lined up to take over the EV market. It’s going to be a tough battle, but I’m willing to bet a paycheck that this Gen 1 Lightning will be outdated in just over a year. I’m not ruling Ford out, but they weren’t prepared and rushed this to the market. The next gen Lightning might be competitive, but it might be too late since other automakers are building from the ground up with new tech.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I recommend attending an International Auto Show like I did last month in LA. That puts things into perspective. I canceled my already built order as soon I arrived home. The Lightning looked like an extinct dinosaur compared to what the competition had lined up to take over the EV market. It’s going to be a tough battle, but I’m willing to bet a paycheck that this Gen 1 Lightning will be outdated in just over a year. I’m not ruling Ford out, but they weren’t prepared and rushed this to the market. The next gen Lightning might be competitive, but it might be too late since other automakers are building from the ground up with new tech.
I’ll bet that paycheck. Just because it’s an EV doesn’t mean it has to be a “look at me car” or some odd ball design like the CT.

You realize the F-150 over the last 20 years had pretty much had the same body shape and is still the best selling truck.

The next gen Lightning will be probably be somewhat different but it’s not going to be some “future” looking truck.

carrillj

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang GT Convertible California Special
Occupation
Government
I’ll bet that paycheck. Just because it’s an EV doesn’t mean it has to be a “look at me car” or some odd ball design like the CT.

You realize the F-150 over the last 20 years had pretty much had the same body shape and is still the best selling truck.

The next gen Lightning will be probably be somewhat different but it’s not going to be some “future” looking truck.
The F-150 ruled the ICE pickup truck world for decades, but mass produced EV vehicles is relatively new. I think the title for future best selling EV pickup trucks is up for grabs. Only time will tell who will take the title, but for now all manufacturers are at the starting line.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500

I think he's referring to specs. this is also my concern with the gen1 lightning. not enough range and slow charging at an inflated price. once gm, ram and tesla have their 400/500 mile trucks shipping I could see the value of the lightning drop like a rock. of course we should have gen2 by then...

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I don't qualify for the tax credit, so I plan on leasing it for this very reason. Its going to crash like a rock once Gen 2 and Android Auto replace sync - beside that it's a first gen. I do have to say I really hate the fact the new Chevy/GM look like an avalanche - I really like the traditional truck body design so I am not sure what the future holds for me in this regard lol - I am willing to bet all the trucks will get this bubbly look and that makes me kinda sad.
Sponsored