• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
It is always advisable to do any gateway (GWM) or telematics modem (TCU) before doing anything else. Those two are key to other updates working properly.

Updates are quite often 'coordinated' (to use Ford's term). I would call them 'chained'. A lot of them are meant to be updated together and once you pick one of them in that group the sequence will kick off that updates all of them to ensure that they all get done as a group (as the engineers intended).

An example of this would be the powertrain group or set of modules that are always done at the same time. If you see a PCM, BECM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, and SOBDMC (and sometimes the ABS if it's there) in your list they will all get done at the same time. So when you start with the PCM and all you have to do is keep hitting the "OK" button and turn on and off the ignition when told to do so.

Another group or set of updates that are coordinated (usually) are the cruise-control related updates: CCM, CMR, IPMA, IPC, and PSCM. Clicking any one of them will kick off the chain and they will all get updated as a group.

Other updates are standalone and can be done in any sequence. Like the BCM, HVAC, door modules, etc.

I usually leave the APIM (Sync) module for last, but nothing says you have to.

There are three updates that are done individually, but because of software dependencies, often trigger follow-on updates of the others (until all three are done). That would be the GWM, the APIM, and the TCU (often in that order). So if you have a GWM in your list but don't have an APIM or TCU...updating the GWM often triggers the APIM...and then another GWM or the TCU pops up afterward.

Mike
Can the dealership refuse to work for warranty on the truck if they see it has been modified at home
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Can the dealership refuse to work for warranty on the truck if they see it has been modified at home
You are using the same software they use (FDRS). I don't know why they would refuse to do warranty work. And how would they know you were "at home"? All they would see is that it was updated by another "tech" previously.

This is not "hacking" the truck or it's systems. This isn't FORSCAN where features are being enabled/disabled or changed outside the scope of what the manufacturer intended for this vehicle. These are approved updates that are being applied in the same way, using the same software and methods that dealer techs use.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I noticed this a couple of days ago but forgot to post an update.

I have the new UI interface (Sync 640) and initially thought that the addition of the streaming capability that the Mach-E has had now for a while wasn't included and would require a further update to enable cause it wasn't there immediately after the update. And I noticed about a day or so after I did the update, the "Entertainment" section was completely grayed out and couldn't be selected, but I didn't give it much thought as I don't use those features.

So while looking up something else in the menus on Friday before a drive I noticed that the Entertainment section was 'back' and not only that but the streaming of Youtube and the NBC stuff had shown up just like it has on my Mach-E.

I don't know when this happened, but I know it was sometime after I updated Sync. I know I haven't had any OTAs (no history according to the truck). Anyway, for those who haven't seen this yet, here's what it looks like:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Streaming_Lightni

Have a great week and Happy New Year!

Mike

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Hey if anybody is in San Diego and would FDRS my truck, I’ll gladly reimburse you. It’s killing me that it won’t update OTA in a timely manner.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Are the FDRS servers unreachable today?

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Thank you for keeping us updated. Ford should offer you a job with a good salary to push OTA’s out to us 🤣. Going on 2 months without the last 2 OTA’s

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Let me make sure I understand this before I attempt myself lol - you all are using the jump points to connect the maintainer / charger?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Following some of the ICE forums we know that Ford will update the software for many modules, but they never push them nor really ever try to update them. The trucks are forever just lost in time and never get updates they could have.
Ford is not the only OEM that does this. For instance, Volvo used to have a program where dealers were paid to update cars as part of the normal service. Now, the software updates are only provided by Volvo for free to the customer if it will resolve an issue under warranty. No more of just keeping the cars up to date for the sake of it.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Ford is not the only OEM that does this. For instance, Volvo used to have a program where dealers were paid to update cars as part of the normal service. Now, the software updates are only provided by Volvo for free to the customer if it will resolve an issue under warranty. No more of just keeping the cars up to date for the sake of it.
This was a traditional kind of thing. In todays world with the batteries and motors and remote controls this isn’t an option. It is a requirement because their SW has to keep up and they have many more critical bugs that need to be fixed. And I didn’t advertise it Ford did. They pushed their update infrastructure and process hard, even noting how it could update itself while you drive.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Let me make sure I understand this before I attempt myself lol - you all are using the jump points to connect the maintainer / charger?
Ideally that is what you could do, or, open the battery access door, connect the charger negative clamp to the threaded connection on the current sampling bridge not the battery post, the bridge measures and informs the trucks BMS system as to current coming and going to the LVB.

The positive charger clamp can be attached directly to the post of the LVB.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1673199269391

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, that's what I do. I try to stay away from that battery monitor on the negative terminal.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Am I the only one visualizing connecting a battery tender from the frunk propower to the battery?

The image popped into my head, and my first thought was "Well, I mean, it could work?!"

LOL.

Also, I just noticed that FRUNK autocorrects to DRUNK. Or is that just me?

Happy Sunday y'all.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Am I the only one visualizing connecting a battery tender from the frunk propower to the battery?
Some updates require the truck to be off so then PPOB would also be off.
Sponsored