• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Martin Rebuilds an F-150 Lightning

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Found this neat channel of a guy rebuilding an F-150 Lightning. Something he pointed out that could be a potential problem down the road is the orientation of a clamp cutting into a coolant line. Over time, this could cause loss of coolant. He has a valid point, check out his video.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Found this neat channel of a guy rebuilding an F-150 Lightning. Something he pointed out that could be a potential problem down the road is the orientation of a clamp cutting into a coolant line. Over time, this could cause loss of coolant. He has a valid point, check out his video.

Is that coolant line and clamp accessible without removing the bed?

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
actually, it looked more like those 'hoses' were simply 'under' that clamp, not on purpose, and maybe not that way from the factory. Seems like something to stick your head under your truck to confirm, but a zip tie solves the problem. He moved those hoses quite easily out of the way of this clamp. Maybe everyone else's 'clamp' is also not oriented 'down' like that, either.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Not sure. Seems to be accessible from under the bed. Gonna crawl around this week and see if I can find it.
Curious what you find looking from under.
I'm gone a week and can't look now.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Remember that Martin is rebuilding a salvaged truck, i.e. it was in an accident (that's what he does). Who knows how it looks from the factory.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If it does fail in year 4, is the part and labor covered under 8 year power train warranty? or this is not covered since electricity is not flowing through the hose?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I cannot imagine a cooling system part being covered after 3 years / 36,000 miles, no.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it does fail in year 4, is the part and labor covered under 8 year power train warranty? or this is not covered since electricity is not flowing through the hose?
I cannot imagine a cooling system part being covered after 3 years / 36,000 miles, no.
I would argue that the cooling system installed in the truck is essential for the battery operation and would fall under the 8 yr/100,00 mile program. That warranty specifically covers the HVB and its components; i.e. the cooling system.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Not sure. Seems to be accessible from under the bed. Gonna crawl around this week and see if I can find it.
Keep us posted, if you find something I definitely wanna be proactive about preventing coolant line perforation,

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
@Ford Motor Company

I confirm this defect also exists on my 2022 Lightning. I just crawled under my truck and took the attached photograph to document the defect.

The best way to access the location is from behind the left rear wheel. Use the bright tube coupling for a landmark. You can not see the clamp from below, but you can reach around the 2 black hoses and feel it. The "ears" on the clamp do indeed press against at least one of the hoses. There is not much slack in the hoses, but I got just enough slack to insert a piece of flat rubber between the clamp and hoses until it can be repaired by a dealer.

@jetfixr1, thank you for sharing the video and communicating this issue!

Ford F-150 Lightning Martin Rebuilds an F-150 Lightning Lightning Hose Clamp Interference

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Ford Motor Company

I confirm this defect also exists on my 2022 Lightning. I just crawled under my truck and took the attached photograph to document the defect.

The best way to access the location is from behind the left rear wheel. Use the bright tube coupling for a landmark. You can not see the clamp from below, but you can reach around the 2 black hoses and feel it. The "ears" on the clamp do indeed press against at least one of the hoses. There is not much slack in the hoses, but I got just enough slack to insert a piece of flat rubber between the clamp and hoses until it can be repaired by a dealer.

@jetfixr1, thank you for sharing the video and communicating this issue!

Lightning Hose Clamp Interference.jpg
Well damn. This reminds me of the CSP on my ICE F-150 where the parking brake wire harness was rubbing into an adjacent structure. Either tomorrow or Tuesday I will crawl and under and check my configuration. Failure of this specific hose, outside of the warranty window, should absolutely be covered by @Ford Motor Company since this is an installation error.
Sponsored