• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE if not planning to tow?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Right, but EPA rating is not based on every possible option combination. My theory is that the EPA ratings are based on trim before options, hence lower range for Platinum. It could be wheels but I've never seen an ICE vehicle with a lower EPA mpg because of wheels. I could be wrong.🤷
By that theory the super stripped down Pro also has the same base with 18's.

Yet the Plati is fat with extra equipment, 22's and reduced bed haul capacity, because she's a fattie, I believe the rolling diameter of 20 & 22's are similar if only fractionally different, easy calibration in the ECM.
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Different ratings for wheel options have been a common thing on EVs for years.

The Model Y LR is rated for 310 miles with 19” Gemini wheels, but only 292 miles with 20” Inductions. The Rivian R1T goes from 328 miles with the 21” wheels to just 303 with the 22” Sport wheels. Both of these are identically equipped in every other way.

Range tests back that up, too. There’s a significant aero penalty with larger wheels, and that has a much bigger impact on highway efficiency than weight. That’s why the 7,300 lb lead sled coming out of the Rivian factory is more efficient than our Lightnings.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Right, but EPA rating is not based on every possible option combination. My theory is that the EPA ratings are based on trim before options, hence lower range for Platinum. It could be wheels but I've never seen an ICE vehicle with a lower EPA mpg because of wheels. I could be wrong.🤷
The EPA fuel economy ratings displayed on vehicle window stickers primarily consider the base model of the vehicle. These ratings are based on standardized testing procedures and assume a standard configuration without additional options or accessories.
Source of 2nd Quote: Microsoft Copilot Query Result, https://copilot.microsoft.com/sl/cd4fFpYnERg

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Just want to address a couple things mentioned in this thread.

1. the platinum’s range is reduced due to the larger wheels. This is well known thing for all EVs. On Tesla and Rivian websites you can see the vehicle range change based on every wheel you option.

2. running boards: personally, when I was searching out my lariat, I wanted one with the power deployable running boards. It wasn’t an absolute dealbreaker feature for me, but I did really search out a model with that option.

The reason is I feel like for $225. You are getting a heck of a deal. Those are normally $2000 to add aftermarket.

The other thing is Ford realizes their mistake and has removed that option on lariat in the future. 2024 models and above will only have the power deployable runningboards on the platinum.

Which is BS. Come up with new features to make the platinum better, don’t take things from a lariat.

But anyways… Just another reason I think a leftover 2023 is well worth it. I did disable auto deploy on approach because I was tired of the running boards deploying every time I walked by the truck. Now they deploy when I unlock it and retract when I lock it.

As far as the weight goes… I would imagine that is canceled out by the better aerodynamics when you’re driving down the road and they are retracted.

This is my seventh F150 and I’ve always had fixed runningboards, so I just wanted to try the retractable ones. I think it makes the truck look better from the side when they are tucked in.

But I really did not realize until owning this truck how much more “functional” the runningboards are than the traditional ones.

When the step is in the deployed mode, it is a wider step, and it is lower than the fixed running board. So for children, short and elderly people getting in and out of the vehicle… All of which get in my truck sometimes… They really enjoy the deployable runningboards.

So to me, it’s a total win-win. $225 option, that Adds improved aesthetics and improved functionality to the vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

gratney

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Lab manager
That's actually interesting info on the running boards. A 3rd truck I'd previously ruled out bc of color has the deployable running boards and the tow package. I may have to revisit it. It was black, and although I like that color they attract heat and show dirt more. But I have 2 elementary age boys, so I may put this one back in the running. I ruled it out bc of having a black car already and wanting something different, but the options may change my mind.

Sponsored

FordBookends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat, ‘68 Mustang Conv, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
That's actually interesting info on the running boards. A 3rd truck I'd previously ruled out bc of color has the deployable running boards and the tow package. I may have to revisit it. It was black, and although I like that color they attract heat and show dirt more. But I have 2 elementary age boys, so I may put this one back in the running. I ruled it out bc of having a black car already and wanting something different, but the options may change my mind.
I have max tow and power deployable running boards. The running boards are a great deal as others have said, and deployed they are great steps compared to most other options. I do tow a few times a year so opted for max tow. It likely helped last summer running east up to Lake Tahoe on I80 through the steep area at Blue Canyon, where I could see the motor and battery temp gauges creep up a little. It gave me a some peace of mind that extra cooling was in place. Other than that the temp gauges stay dead center no matter the temperature in the summer.

One other thing, pointing the Lightning uphill at 70MPH at 5K+ ft altitude is quite a game changer vs a normally aspirated engine. The experience should only get better as charging infrastructure catches up.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ended up with black. For me it was a little different because I have never owned a black truck so I thought it would be OK to give that color a try. I’ve always thought black looks good on vehicles, but it was a lot of work so avoided it.

I will say in the short time I’ve had my truck. It has lived up to my expectations that it will show up all the dirt in the world lol.

I don’t know if everybody is this way, I have some colors that I cannot live with, some colors that are my favorite, and some that I’m sort of neutral on. Black was more in the middle for me.

As far as the tow package, just want to add my two cents on that.

One thing that Ford in particular is bad about compared to the other Truck companies, is sort of gatekeeping their advertised Tow rating behind “Tow packages” that must always be added at the time of purchase. Historically Silverado and ram had not done that.

Ford has no problem advertising the max Tow rating for every truck in the commercials, on the Internet, etc. But lots of people buy used F150s and get upset after reading their owners manual finding out that their truck is legally limited to a lower to rating than they expected.

Somebody may be in the market for a used lightning in the future, thinking that they can tow 10,000 pounds, and frustrated when they find out that a lot of the used trucks can only tow 7500 or whatever it is.

Long story short, I think the tow packages are a relatively inexpensive option that is worth it for resale value and longevity when you consider the fact that you can never add it later.

There are some folks that disregard whatever Ford recommends and Tow whatever they want regardless of their options. And I completely get that opinion as well.

I won’t go into it all here and put everybody to sleep, but choosing to go down that road does have certain legal implications that could happen to you and your family should an accident occur, and there is also warranty issues that you could run into with things like that. just not worth the headache or stress. To me.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Back to the Max Tow question, I did a lot of driving in extremely high temps this past summer (110+) and noticed that I almost never hit full charge speed. My battery temp was always above the normal line as well. I think an additional compressor can be quite useful if DC fast charging in the heat because otherwise the battery will do what it needs to to protect itself.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
One other thing, pointing the Lightning uphill at 70MPH at 5K+ ft altitude is quite a game changer vs a normally aspirated engine. The experience should only get better as charging infrastructure catches up.
This!!! All of this.

I pulled a pop up camper to California and back last September with my Model Y, and the car didn’t care about altitude. It felt like it wanted to rip the tongue of the trailer off climbing through 11,000 feet to Loveland Pass. I could accelerate faster up that hill than my ‘04 Expedition will empty at sea level.

The EV towing experience is a world apart from ICE power trains. Range is an issue, but power is not.

But lots of people buy used F150s and get upset after reading their owners manual finding out that their truck is legally limited to a lower to rating than they expected.

Somebody may be in the market for a used lightning in the future, thinking that they can tow 10,000 pounds, and frustrated when they find out that a lot of the used trucks can only tow 7500 or whatever it is.

Long story short, I think the tow packages are a relatively inexpensive option that is worth it for resale value and longevity when you consider the fact that you can never add it later.

There are some folks that disregard whatever Ford recommends and Tow whatever they want regardless of their options. And I completely get that opinion as well.

I won’t go into it all here and put everybody to sleep, but choosing to go down that road does have certain legal implications that could happen to you and your family should an accident occur, and there is also warranty issues that you could run into with things like that. just not worth the headache or stress. To me.
I agree with much of your post, but not the legal part. That’s fiction that’s lived as an online myth for decades and won’t die. There’s no legal force or weight to towing recommendations. Those are manufacturer’s recommendations, just like the octane of gasoline they recommend for the ICE trucks. This goes along with the myth that insurance won’t cover you if overloaded because you’re negligent…insurance exists to cover negligence! They may drop your policy after a grossly negligent act, but they have to pay the bill. That’s why people with prior DWIs have such a tough time finding coverage.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree with much of your post, but not the legal part. That’s fiction that’s lived as an online myth for decades and won’t die. There’s no legal force or weight to towing recommendations. Those are manufacturer’s recommendations, just like the octane of gasoline they recommend for the ICE trucks. This goes along with the myth that insurance won’t cover you if overloaded because you’re negligent…insurance exists to cover negligence! They may drop your policy after a grossly negligent act, but they have to pay the bill. That’s why people with prior DWIs have such a tough time finding coverage.

So I have no data to back up what I said. You're absolutely right it may be an online mythology.

But here's where.. I err to the side of caution.

Lawsuits. In this Country, there are some extremely litigious people. This has a lot to do with what region of the country you're in, and what the incomes in that area are.

I mean Elon has talked about Tesla having to fight lawsuits from people suggesting the "new car smell" inside a vehicle is the reason someone fell asleep at the wheel and killed someone.

Now I absolutely know that just because you a sue for anything, doesn't mean you'll win anything.

But I have heard of cases regarding sports cars, and people being found guilty in civil suits for disabling things like "traction control" and then being involved in a fatal accident. It has occurred.

You don't think if a husband/wife doctor/lawyer combo rear-end a family and kill their kids in the rear seat and people find out they were towing 12,000lbs on a truck configured for 7,000lbs that wouldn't be a big fat civil suit waiting to happen?

Maybe I'm being overtly dramatic, but isn't that what most future planning is about? Idk...

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
You don't think if a husband/wife doctor/lawyer combo rear-end a family and kill their kids in the rear seat and people find out they were towing 12,000lbs on a truck configured for 7,000lbs that wouldn't be a big fat civil suit waiting to happen?

Maybe I'm being overtly dramatic, but isn't that what most future planning is about? Idk...
It takes more than negligence to win a lawsuit. The negligence has to be the proximate cause of the injury, so the injured party would have to prove the accident wouldn’t have happened if not for the misconfigured tow. Your insurance company would be on the hook first if they ever tried, and they have very good lawyers.

I’m not saying we should drive around with overloaded trucks. Just that manufacturer’s recommendations are just that. And we should all carry insurance. Wow that was off-topic.

OP
OP

gratney

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Lab manager
That's that I was thinking.... I was hoping to get advice on whether the tow package was worth it if not towing and it's went off on 10 different tangents! All good discussion, but not at all what I was expecting. I'm thankful for everyone's input to consider though.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
That's that I was thinking.... I was hoping to get advice on whether the tow package was worth it if not towing and it's went off on 10 different tangents! All good discussion, but not at all what I was expecting. I'm thankful for everyone's input to consider though.
If you're planning to own the Lightning for a long time ie. 10 years, I'd say you would be better without the max tow option, with the truck being that old a decade from now, is likely not going to be a target of interest for someone wanting the option.

Save a few bucks and do without it

If you're going to flip it in 1-3 years, then that option would be more useful to subsequent buyers

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What he said ^

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
I'll chime in...
I bought a truck without the bedliner, even though in my head I really wanted it. Ends up Ford gives you $200 in credits to spend on accessories when you buy a new car, so I ordered a "free" bed mat. It's working great to keep stuff from sliding around. Also, the bed of the F150 is aluminum so it won't rust, which to me was the main reason for a spray in liner.
Also my charger is still wrapped in plastic, that was $500 well spent. ;-)
Sponsored