• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Noticed my Lightning accelerates differently....

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
I noticed my Lightning accelerates differently lately. It used to accelerate "harshly" (in a nice exhilarating manner) where you will feel the vehicle thrusting forward with a short squeek on the tire from the sudden up speed.
When I 1st got the truck, the ridiculous
fast acceleration made me do quite a few of these fun pedal to the metal "show off" but got tired of it plus I wanna conserve electric power and tire wear, so has been easy on the acceleration for the most part since after 2 to 3 weeks of owning it. But lately, although it still accelerates fast, I am finding it doesn't have this strong ridiculous acceleration feel compared to before. I no longer can make the tire to squeek even if I stepped on the pedal full throttle, which it used to do before. I can't exactly pin point when it started doing this "slow down" as I was driving relatively tamed . It has been to the dealer for some warranty fixing of minor stuffs a few times already and every time I bring in my Lightning, dealer will have it for 2 nights, which seems a little long for a minor fixing.
I have an XLT upgraded version with standard range battery. Mileage is 11,870 kms.
Do you guys have the same experience too? Could it be Ford had an unannounced "improved" acceleration software upgrade such that it does accelerates more "mannered" now?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Nothing published that I am aware of.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Did you change drive mode?

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Have you looked at the power meter? Sometimes you get reduced power when it's cold and/or your battery is lower in charge. That can make a very big difference to the acceleration.

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
You’ve had it 10k km already so you probably would have noticed but as LightningShow said on the dash the upper left blue arc on the left circle shows your power and there will be a number at the top of the arc and that is % of max power available. I know with mine if battery is low or I jump in without preconditioning it will start lower. I’ve seen 93, 92, 73, 61 … I haven’t had mine long and mostly so short drives but usually it will go up after driving a bit. If batt is low sometimes it will stay low at least until I’ve gotten to charge

I’ve also heard 1pd can feel slower, not sure if you’re using that

this is definitely something I’m concerned about so following along

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I've seen as low as 29% at under 10% SOC and very cold temps but it's pretty common to see in the 80s on cold mornings (say 20F-25F). 85% will definitely feel sluggish compared to 100%.

One other possibility is that you may have a motor that doesn't initialize. I've had that happen to me twice (resolved by a restart). As you would expect your power available drops to about 50%. One time I was driving and I noticed it felt sluggish shortly after leaving the house and I then noticed the power available was very low. I usually use the calm screen so I don't see the power output normally.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Drove my wife’s Escape ICE yesterday. I was stunned how different it felt. Power lag, noise and definitely different handling I had not remembered. Plus one pedal drive has kinda messed me up in her vehicle. It was weird.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Drove my wife’s Escape ICE yesterday. I was stunned how different it felt. Power lag, noise and definitely different handling I had not remembered. Plus one pedal drive has kinda messed me up in her vehicle. It was weird.
Lol Yep! First time I drove my wife’s ice afterwards I thought the parking brake was on

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It’s probably just getting used to a fast truck. Same thing happened with my Tesla. Even the single motor felt wildly fast when I bought it, but now flooring it seems a bit more mild. This despite Tesla coming out with a few software updates to boost the power by about 5% early on in the cars life.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I noticed my Lightning accelerates differently lately. It used to accelerate "harshly" (in a nice exhilarating manner) where you will feel the vehicle thrusting forward with a short squeek on the tire from the sudden up speed.
When I 1st got the truck, the ridiculous
fast acceleration made me do quite a few of these fun pedal to the metal "show off" but got tired of it plus I wanna conserve electric power and tire wear, so has been easy on the acceleration for the most part since after 2 to 3 weeks of owning it. But lately, although it still accelerates fast, I am finding it doesn't have this strong ridiculous acceleration feel compared to before. I no longer can make the tire to squeek even if I stepped on the pedal full throttle, which it used to do before. I can't exactly pin point when it started doing this "slow down" as I was driving relatively tamed . It has been to the dealer for some warranty fixing of minor stuffs a few times already and every time I bring in my Lightning, dealer will have it for 2 nights, which seems a little long for a minor fixing.
I have an XLT upgraded version with standard range battery. Mileage is 11,870 kms.
Do you guys have the same experience too? Could it be Ford had an unannounced "improved" acceleration software upgrade such that it does accelerates more "mannered" now?
Are you sure you’re not just getting used to it? It’s one of those things the more you drive it, the more it becomes the norm. It often doesn’t become apparent until you hop into..say a Ford Raptor and go…is something wrong with this one?

Bajou

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16MKX '18EDGE '19F-150 (Explorer MarkLT and many F150'S)
Occupation
Financial advisor, business owner
Turn off one pedal.

It acts more smoothly when one pedal is turned on. I was skeptic at first about this.

Let me know if you got it's zip back!

OP
OP
playjack

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
Hi all,
Power is always 100% as I always plug it every night due to winter in canada. No one pedal, I hate it...I just brake way in advance to recover most of power.
Acclimated is surely a reason but why tire don't squeak anymore. It used to, when i floor it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Hi all,
Power is always 100% as I always plug it every night due to winter in canada. No one pedal, I hate it...I just brake way in advance to recover most of power.
Acclimated is surely a reason but why tire don't squeak anymore. It used to, when i floor it.
That could be due to tuning. Tire squeaks doesn't always equal power and speed though. I could make my 90hp Miata chirp all day long...it still did 0-60 in roughly 14 seconds.

Ford very well may have smoothed out the power and traction variables, which actually help with safety as well as acceleration.
Sponsored