• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone getting too hot from AA

RileysDad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning, 2008 F-150
First post here - I did a search and couldn't come up with more than a few posts on threads about other issues.

I consistently get a notification for my phone overheating, sometimes just a minute after getting in the truck. This happens both plugged into the USB-C and when operating wirelessly via AA. The phone gets so hot that I'm concerned it will cause issues. Phone is a Samsung S22.

I never use the wireless charger because it charges slower than molasses in winter.

Anybody else having this issue and know of a fix other than not using AA? I've had the phone for a couple years and never had this issue in my ICE F-150 when charging (no AA).
Sponsored

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I’m going to assume you have not done a hard restart of your phone. Maybe the phone bms needs to reset.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I have had this happen in the past and tracked it down to phone's WiFi usage was using way too much battery (generating heat). Sorry I don't know what made the problem go away; I started by turning off the WiFi connection to truck and used the wired connection for a while. I have not had issues lately but honestly still plug it in anytime I drive for any extended distance so maybe I just haven't noticed.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Happens to me occasionally, same phone. Sometimes I unplug and plug back in, sometimes ignore it, sometimes just hold the phone on front of the vent for few seconds. I usually only notice when I drive after the truck has been backing in the sun all day. I assumed the connector was heating up the temp sensor.

OG_Ragnar

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 17 C-Max Energi, 15 Flex
Occupation
Nonprofit Administration
Haven’t noticed any issues while in my Lightning, but my iPhone overheats and burns through battery while on F150 Lightning Forum website. Not sure what’s going on in the background!

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Adjust your power saving plan in your phone. This is a phone problem for sure. You also might have too many things running in the background. If your screen is on that will heat up too.

If you're not sure how to operate those settings on your phone then you'll have to get help from your carrier or a phone store.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
S23 Ultra and I have this problem only when using wireless charging and it took 30+ minutes before it would happen. Constantly running wifi, bluetooth and GPS radios while wirelessly charging through a case was too much I guess. I performed all of the FDRS updates related to the wireless charger, but nothing solved it.

I switched to a wired connection using usb c to c with a short, quality cable that came with one of my external USB c drives. I haven't had the problem wired and the charge speed is better.

I had installed a wireless AA Pioneer headunit in my previous vehicle, but didn't have a wireless charger. Using the same S23 ultra I had no overheating issues. I was charging wired while everything else was wireless for that setup, so I'm not sure if adding wireless charging was the tipping issue or not.

OP
OP

RileysDad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning, 2008 F-150
I’m going to assume you have not done a hard restart of your phone. Maybe the phone bms needs to reset.
I did one just now after seeing your post. I'll report back if that fixes it. Thanks!

I have had this happen in the past and tracked it down to phone's WiFi usage was using way too much battery (generating heat). Sorry I don't know what made the problem go away; I started by turning off the WiFi connection to truck and used the wired connection for a while. I have not had issues lately but honestly still plug it in anytime I drive for any extended distance so maybe I just haven't noticed.
Interesting...do you have Ford Premium Connectivity? I've only had the truck about a month so my free trial just ended but I don't think I ever connected to it, unless it's done automatically through the pairing process. Out of curiosity, how did you figure that out?

Happens to me occasionally, same phone. Sometimes I unplug and plug back in, sometimes ignore it, sometimes just hold the phone on front of the vent for few seconds. I usually only notice when I drive after the truck has been backing in the sun all day. I assumed the connector was heating up the temp sensor.
Yeah, I've resorted to holding it in front of the vent as well but definitely feel like we shouldn't have to do that!

Adjust your power saving plan in your phone. This is a phone problem for sure. You also might have too many things running in the background. If your screen is on that will heat up too.

If you're not sure how to operate those settings on your phone then you'll have to get help from your carrier or a phone store.
Will check that out. Thanks!

S23 Ultra and I have this problem only when using wireless charging and it took 30+ minutes before it would happen. Constantly running wifi, bluetooth and GPS radios while wirelessly charging through a case was too much I guess. I performed all of the FDRS updates related to the wireless charger, but nothing solved it.

I switched to a wired connection using usb c to c with a short, quality cable that came with one of my external USB c drives. I haven't had the problem wired and the charge speed is better.

I had installed a wireless AA Pioneer headunit in my previous vehicle, but didn't have a wireless charger. Using the same S23 ultra I had no overheating issues. I was charging wired while everything else was wireless for that setup, so I'm not sure if adding wireless charging was the tipping issue or not.
Yeah, the wireless charger is so slow I don't even use it. I wish I'd known it was that slow because I was really looking forward not to have to mess with cables but c'est la vie I guess. I'll try turning off WiFi and seeing if that makes a difference. Thanks!

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Interesting...do you have Ford Premium Connectivity? I've only had the truck about a month so my free trial just ended but I don't think I ever connected to it, unless it's done automatically through the pairing process. Out of curiosity, how did you figure that out?
I think the default setup for android auto tries to connect via a custom wifi network without using Premium Connectivity.

Sorry that I don't recall all of the details as I dealt with this a long time ago. The easy solution is to simply plug in.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I think the default setup for android auto tries to connect via a custom wifi network without using Premium Connectivity.

Sorry that I don't recall all of the details as I dealt with this a long time ago. The easy solution is to simply plug in.
Correct, the trucks projection Wi-Fi is distinct, my current S10e does get warm sitting next to the shift selector in the lateral slot, I seldom use the wireless charger, if I'm on a long road trip, I plug in my USB a/c cable to keep the phone topped up.

Next week I'm transitioning to S24ultra, likely I'll continue the same M/O, but might pick up a USB c/c

Sponsored

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
iPhone user here, the Silverado I traded in on my Lightning actually had cooling in the phone charging pad, not so lucky with the Ford setup!
After getting overheating messages from my expensive new phone when using the Ford charging pad, I pulled the fuse from the charger and mounted a magbase charger with double sided gel-tape and plugged into the USB, problem solved.

Red Green-'If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.'

Last edited:

FANTIEPEI1

First Name
MARTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING LARIAT
Occupation
Defender of all free things
First post here - I did a search and couldn't come up with more than a few posts on threads about other issues.

I consistently get a notification for my phone overheating, sometimes just a minute after getting in the truck. This happens both plugged into the USB-C and when operating wirelessly via AA. The phone gets so hot that I'm concerned it will cause issues. Phone is a Samsung S22.

I never use the wireless charger because it charges slower than molasses in winter.

Anybody else having this issue and know of a fix other than not using AA? I've had the phone for a couple years and never had this issue in my ICE F-150 when charging (no AA).
Same issue for me my phone runs hot only on wireless charging. Not everytime but a few times a week for sure. It happens within a few mins of being on charger. It gets so hot it shuts my phone off and it is almost too hot to even hold . I have a few vehicles and this only happens in my lightning on wireless charge. I have another vehicle with wireless and have never had an issue

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
same. its annoying. its really bad when using google maps.
Sponsored