Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I took it to the dealer multiple times. One time they did the BEV sensor replacement (stopped the battery warning, but still got the Powertrain warning. Second time they replaces the air dam, still go the warning. Third time they said my AC coolant was low, they recharged and filled it. Said they thought that would do it.

Going on three days and so far, so good….
Sounds like you need a new dealer.
Sponsored

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
I gotta be in the top 1% of least lucky Lightning owners out there. @Ford Motor Company. Lightning stopped charging yesterday, threw a wrench and limited power to 53%. I read the code (forgot exactly what it was) and it referred to unstable voltage. I deleted the code and hoped it was a fluke. It came back immediately. Just dropped it off at the dealer. This is potentially the third module that is going to be replaced. This is becoming a running joke. I’m going to press the dealer hard to replace the whole battery or else I’m going to lemon law it. So disappointed.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_5146

lipnorth

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat
I also had the issue multiple times and the dealer kept trying to fix it. Last week they said they did something with the air conditioner recharging it or something of that nature and since then I have not had the issue. Hope that helps.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I gotta be in the top 1% of least lucky Lightning owners out there. @Ford Motor Company. Lightning stopped charging yesterday, threw a wrench and limited power to 53%. I read the code (forgot exactly what it was) and it referred to unstable voltage. I deleted the code and hoped it was a fluke. It came back immediately. Just dropped it off at the dealer. This is potentially the third module that is going to be replaced. This is becoming a running joke. I’m going to press the dealer hard to replace the whole battery or else I’m going to lemon law it. So disappointed.
IMG_5146.jpeg
Dang, I just watched your video summarizing the first two events, maybe this is a defective OBCC on board charge controller?????

Sponsored

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Haha ya I saw your comment. Didn’t have the heart to break the bad news to you.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I just got the same warning on the dash, and it also looks like it won't charge. The charge lights turn red. @Ford Motor Company

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_3193
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_3190

So, now it won't take a charge, so I'm in limbo until I can get an appointment.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power IMG_3191

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I just got the same warning on the dash, and it also looks like it won't charge. The charge lights turn red. @Ford Motor Company

IMG_3193.png

IMG_3190.jpeg

So, now it won't take a charge, so I'm in limbo until I can get an appointment.

IMG_3191.png
No, it won't charge fully. It will still charge, it just has a limit that is not 100%

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I guess I should clarify that my answer does depend on the exact fault
I was at 80% at the time. I hope your first answer is correct, so I can at least drive it until I get an appointment.

Is it only a specific charger? Have you tried another?
I plugged in at home at 8pm last night and my ChargePoint Flex waits until 12am to start charging and shuts off by 8am, so although I never saw a charging error, I had the same 80% as I did when I plugged in.

Then I decided to try the power at my local mall. It was red. and the App told me there was a problem. Since free mall chargers are not reliable, I decided to plug it in at home again. I plugged in, bypassed the timer and confirmed it didn't work here either.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Couple updates. Its confirmed to be another module failure. This is the third one. All module failures have been from the original pack. No new modules have failed. I have started the buy back process but since I have almost 20,000 miles they may low ball me on account of mileage. We shall see. Dealer says it should be fixed by next week.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I was at 80% at the time. I hope your first answer is correct, so I can at least drive it until I get an appointment.

I plugged in at home at 8pm last night and my ChargePoint Flex waits until 12am to start charging and shuts off by 8am, so although I never saw a charging error, I had the same 80% as I did when I plugged in.

Then I decided to try the power at my local mall. It was red. and the App told me there was a problem. Since free mall chargers are not reliable, I decided to plug it in at home again. I plugged in, bypassed the timer and confirmed it didn't work here either.
It sounds more like software issue triggered by the charger rather than the real error.

Of course this is only my guess, but unless Lightning is using very different battery modules, MME has much less issues to my knowledge.

Hope Ford can fix all the issue soon.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER